Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S-Type Transmission Bump Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 09:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
Default S-Type Transmission Bump Question

I have a 2005 S-Type 3.0 with 34000 miles on it. I bought the car in March and I have only driven it 3000 miles since then. The car was perfect, clean carfax and had a service and a reprogramming of the computer all done immediately before buying the car. The only problem I have had and it is very intermittent and may well be normal is with the transmission or it may just need a reprogramming of the TCM.

Whether I use the "S" button or not and whether it is coming from street to highway and back to street, or never going over 40 mph and at other times, I notice 2 things. First, when coming to a stop at times and I am not a brake jammier, but prefer smooth and easy stops, it appears at the point almost before I come to a complete stop, I feel what could be described as a light tap from the year (as if another car slightly tapped you from the rear) and it appears to me that the torque converter is unlocking at that point, but in what I would think is too harsh a manner. Second, many times it I am st a dead stop and want to accelerate quick and step on the pedal, i got a slight delay before the car picks up momentum, almost like the transmission or perhaps the engine has a delay in momentum. Has anyone else had this problem (I can't believe I would be the only one with it) and what do you think the cause might be?

I have zero problems with the transmission while driving- no noises , smooth and silent shifting.

i appreciate you help.

Tom in Dallas.

Old 08-26-2009, 10:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,531 Likes on 3,941 Posts

Look up "thelurch" on the net. Apparently fixed by a TSB but note that it has quite exacting (i.e. awkward) requirements for it to work (briefly, reprogramming TCM and PCM then specific adaption driving etc).

Old 08-26-2009, 10:09 AM
Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by jazzwineman
I have a 2005 S-Type 3.0 with 34000 miles on it. I bought the car in March and I have only driven it 3000 miles since then. The car was perfect, clean carfax and had a service and a reprogramming of the computer all done immediately before buying the car. The only problem I have had and it is very intermittent and may well be normal is with the transmission or it may just need a reprogramming of the TCM.

Whether I use the "S" button or not and whether it is coming from street to highway and back to street, or never going over 40 mph and at other times, I notice 2 things. First, when coming to a stop at times and I am not a brake jammier, but prefer smooth and easy stops, it appears at the point almost before I come to a complete stop, I feel what could be described as a light tap from the year (as if another car slightly tapped you from the rear) and it appears to me that the torque converter is unlocking at that point, but in what I would think is too harsh a manner. Second, many times it I am st a dead stop and want to accelerate quick and step on the pedal, i got a slight delay before the car picks up momentum, almost like the transmission or perhaps the engine has a delay in momentum. Has anyone else had this problem (I can't believe I would be the only one with it) and what do you think the cause might be?

I have zero problems with the transmission while driving- no noises , smooth and silent shifting.

i appreciate you help.

Tom in Dallas.
Tom.
I have the same thing with my 06 STR.
Many threads on here talk about a tranny learch and I am assuming this is what we have.
Most of the cures call for a tranny reflash and I will ask for one next time I take my car in for service. I am still under warranty so it should not cost me anything,I hope. The problem is kind of annoying but not enough to make a special trip to the dealer.

Old 08-26-2009, 10:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,531 Likes on 3,941 Posts

The lurch (aka thelurch) fix will already be included in an 06 car

But other things can cause a similar (but I've read not identical) effect

I don't know if any more recent "calibration" (program) exists for the TCM but let us all know what you find please.

I mention again that a reflash of just TCM will not cure the lurch. The whole TSB must be followed.

Old 08-26-2009, 11:13 AM
Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by jagv8

I don't know if any more recent "calibration" (program) exists for the TCM but let us all know what you find please.

I mention again that a reflash of just TCM will not cure the lurch. The whole TSB must be followed.
Thanks.
Will let you know once I get it done.

Old 08-26-2009, 01:55 PM
Veteran Member
Default Thanks

Originally Posted by jagv8

I read about this at alldata and I just wanted to confirm with others that have the same problem. Did the combo re flash work?

By the way,as a seperate item, what make of Struts come standard on the 2005 S. Has anyone also done their own brakes, pads and rotors and was there anything beyond the simple (if you have the experience behind you) that was required?

Thanks
again.

Tom

Old 08-26-2009, 03:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,703 Likes on 1,211 Posts

Tom, the "kick in the ****" happened to my wifes '05 especially at the second and a half before coming to a complete stop. Tranny definetly needs reflashed. The dealer should warn you about your driving habits after the tranny has been reflashed. The tranny needs to learn "your" driving style.

Second the brake job is straight forward as with anyother vehicle with ABS. I did our fronts, went with ceramic pads and upgraded rotors. I also did a complete flush of the brake fluid at the same time. You will read many complaints about excessive brake dust on the S Types. The ceramics helped considerably but the dust is annoying.

I have no clue about the struts....sorry

Old 08-26-2009, 04:30 PM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

I have the same problems. Kick in the **** ( so well put "joycesjag") and the hesitation. I've also played with the "S" button. It helps with the hesitation issue but seems to make the "kick in the ****" worse. I have also had a reflash, but I don't think they actually followed the TSB on it. It was done as part of the recall. As far as brakes go... straight forward. Search the forum, there have been a few write ups on them. Nothing too hard, just be sure to get the proper tool if you are going to do the rears. I had a cube type rear caliper tool that had to be modified to fit the pattern on the piston. I plan on getting a better rear brake tool kit before I have to do them again.

Old 08-26-2009, 07:59 PM
Veteran Member
Default Another question

Originally Posted by JOsworth
I have the same problems. Kick in the **** ( so well put "joycesjag") and the hesitation. I've also played with the "S" button. It helps with the hesitation issue but seems to make the "kick in the ****" worse. I have also had a reflash, but I don't think they actually followed the TSB on it. It was done as part of the recall. As far as brakes go... straight forward. Search the forum, there have been a few write ups on them. Nothing too hard, just be sure to get the proper tool if you are going to do the rears. I had a cube type rear caliper tool that had to be modified to fit the pattern on the piston. I plan on getting a better rear brake tool kit before I have to do them again.
Thanks for all the info. I was reading a German website where some dealers gave some grief to those that sought the action on TSB - has that happened to anyone in recent years.TSB S307-17

Drifting of program for adaptive learning. Now involves both engine AND gearbox reprogramming to address customer concern of harsh transmission shifts, particularly 3 - 2, 2 -1 roll out and 1-2 up-shifts
The adaptive shift strategy drifting over time causing higher than normal clutch pressures.
To eliminate the issues outlined in the summary the transmission adaptions must be cleared and the Transmission Control Module (TCM) and the Engine Control Module (ECM) should be re-configured using the Worldwide Diagnostic System (WDS) with software release JTP 759/35 or later. Should a customer express concern, follow the Service Instruction outlined below.

By the way, where would I get the proper tool for the rear brake calipers?

Thanks

Tom

Old 08-27-2009, 09:34 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Here is a thread I started on the brakes and tires I did on the '05. Page two, I think, talks about the rear caliper tool. Take a read...

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=11525