Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S Type tricky washer pump issue RESOLVED

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2017, 08:08 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default S Type tricky washer pump issue RESOLVED

Hello, having troubles with my S type, 3.0 Auto, MY 2000

Initial problem is the washers aren't working. Press in the washer switch on end of stalk, wipers sweep the screen but no fluid comes out the jets.
Pump doesn't make any noise, not a whir!
So far I have checked the following in this order...

Fluid level
Fuse no.2 in engine bay fuse box
Relay 13 in engine bay fuse box
Removed pump and put 12v to it, works fine
Tested the plug that goes to pump and no voltage when switch operated
Removed and checked the connections on wiper switch, all look good.

Next stage is going to stripping back wiring to see if there is a break, but access isn't great and is going to be a lot of work.

Am I missing something or is there a classic fault or something?

Thanks in advance

Old 01-29-2017, 09:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,408 Likes on 1,894 Posts

If you unhook the tubing at the base of the wiper does anything come out?

I had to use some pins to clear the nozzles on the wiper arms on my car.

Old 01-29-2017, 09:22 AM

Already checked all that first. It's the pump itself that isn't actually working.

Old 01-29-2017, 09:50 AM
Received 6,326 Likes on 5,512 Posts

Looks like it is going to be the wiring then. Maybe try a temp wire from the relay to the pump and see how that works?

Old 01-29-2017, 09:54 AM

Yeah thinking so. Il have to find what relay connector goes to pump

Old 01-29-2017, 02:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,050 Likes on 1,448 Posts

Originally Posted by gordyshreds
So far I have checked the following in this order...

Relay 13 in engine bay fuse box
I think you're on the wrong relay. The pump nomenclature is a bit confusing. Wiring diagrams here, look at section 13.1:

http://www.jagrepair.com/images/Auto...01999.25en.pdf

Note there is a "Windshield washer pump" and a "Power wash pump". I have no idea about the latter. Does anybody know what the power wash pump is? Was it an optional headlamp washer or something like that?

Back to your windshield, you'll definitely want the windshield washer pump. You can do the bulk of your troubleshooting from relay #4 (not #13) at the front power distribution box.

First thing I'd suggest is swapping a known good relay into slot #4. It looks like relay #6 (horn) is the same. If your horn works correctly, then you know relay #6 is good. Plug good relay #6 into spot #4 and see if your washer now works. Plug suspect relay #4 into spot #6 and see if the horn still works.

If the washer pump still won't work, connect a jumper between the pump relay sockets 3 and 5. You can rig up a test jumper with two male spade terminals, or just use a paper clip. If the pump now runs, fuse #2, the pump, and all wiring between those points is good. The fault is with the signal that controls the relay.

To check the signal to control the relay, connect a test lamp or voltmeter between relay sockets 1 and 2. Turn the key to RUN and try your washer switch again. If the lamp illuminates (or meter shows 12ish volts) then you have a good signal to energize the relay. The power to energize the relay comes from the same fuse #2, previously tested above.

You've already mentioned the wipers sweep when the wash switch is pressed, so the switch and associated wiring is probably fine. There's no point in testing that yet.

There's a slim possibility the General Electronic Control Module has a problem, but I'd put that WAY down on the list of possibilities. I'm willing to bet large sums of your money on a problem with relay #4.

The following users liked this post:
SSquared (08-30-2017)
Old 01-29-2017, 02:26 PM

Thanks for the long reply, and you are correct! Just logged on to update and saw your reply. Turns out the relay diagram i was going off only labeled the powerwash pump hence i concentrated on this. I then downloaded the correct wiring manual and found the windshield washer relay you talk of. Low and behold it wasnt fitted so tried one in and it worked. Will put the washer bottle back together soon and give it a proper trial. Not sure why it would have been Removed in the first place though. Thanks again for reply

The following users liked this post:
Norri (01-29-2017)
Old 01-29-2017, 03:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,050 Likes on 1,448 Posts

Originally Posted by gordyshreds
found the windshield washer relay you talk of. Low and behold it wasnt fitted so tried one in and it worked. Will put the washer bottle back together soon and give it a proper trial. Not sure why it would have been Removed in the first place though. Thanks again for reply
You are very welcome. Thanks for the update about the fix. So often we never hear back, so it's always great to hear when a problem is resolved.

Just curious, how long have you owned the car. I'm assuming (Danger! Danger!) the windshield washer has never worked for you. Don't see how it could with the relay missing.

A previous owner likely robbed that relay to replace one in a more critical circuit, and then forgot all about it.

Old 01-29-2017, 03:53 PM

Picked it up friday for the pricely sum of £200. No way i was driving it in winter without washers! Will do a project thread when i get time. Next on the list is rear window drops, so need to whip door card off and have a look whats going on with the regulator!
All that aside its a sound car with MOT until June!

Old 01-29-2017, 07:24 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Great price! Was it just the window that is bad? Damaged?

Last edited by 03s-type_sport; 01-29-2017 at 07:25 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 01-30-2017, 02:22 AM

No the glass its self is fine. The window drops and has to be pushed up by using a hand either side. When window switch is operated you can hear the motor going but sounds dodgy. Hoping for regulator repair. Will start a thread tonight

Old 02-01-2017, 04:15 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Okay. I was wondering about the vehicles condition. That is a great price if only the window was bad and the body wasn't damaged.

Old 06-02-2021, 08:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 03s-type_sport
Okay. I was wondering about the vehicles condition. That is a great price if only the window was bad and the body wasn't damaged.
i believe he was referring to the price of the relay not the price of the vehicle. I could be wrong but unless he just bought the car that friday, then definitely just the relay...

Old 06-03-2021, 07:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 635 Likes on 498 Posts

Welcome, NorCal. The forum member you are addressing has not posted in three plus years and the OP has not posted since 2017...

I see that this is your first post. It is customary (and expected) for new forum participants to post a brief intro in the New Members Area, which can be found here:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/n...-intro-must-5/