S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S-type V6 air in the Cooling System

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2013 | 01:45 AM
|
Default S-type V6 air in the Cooling System

Hey guys, I'm going to be helping a friend of mine do a coolant flush on his 2001 S-type V6 and I wanted to be as prepared as possible. What is the best way to purge all the air out of the system? I checked online before landing here and a few people where saying that the S-type has a self-purging system. If this isn't so, please explain the best way to complete this process.

Old 12-28-2013 | 03:01 AM
Veteran Member

The early cars have more tubing and need more doing. Use forum Search on
bleed
or
bleeding
(add the word screw or hose, maybe)
or similar, and you'll find info on where to look for the relevant things (one is tucked near the brake reservoir I think).

The following users liked this post:
iretribution (12-28-2013)
Old 12-28-2013 | 12:08 PM

There are two places to bleed the cooling system on V6-engined cars, but care must be taken to not break the plastic hardware, especially on the upper radiator hose.

Air can be purged from the system on the upper radiator hose and at the coolant reservoir. The small hose next to the coolant reservoir with the plastic end cap is to bleed the heater core and remove any possible air pocket there.

If your friend has access to the JTIS manual, there is a description of the procedure for bleeding the cooling system on both V6 and V8 models, which can have different designs depending on MY.

The following users liked this post:
iretribution (12-28-2013)
Old 12-28-2013 | 01:14 PM
|

Unfortunately we don't have access to the JTIS Manual. I've bleed air from the Cooling system before, but never on a Jaguar, and considering the vehicle isn't mine I wanted to be as careful as possible.

So in a nutshell, without the JTIS Manual, my best bet is to purge the remaining air from the upper radiator hose and coolant reservoir?

Old 12-28-2013 | 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by iretribution
Unfortunately we don't have access to the JTIS Manual. I've bleed air from the Cooling system before, but never on a Jaguar, and considering the vehicle isn't mine I wanted to be as careful as possible...
You can search this forum for several threads referring to bleeding the cooling system on the V6.

The JTIS workshop manual is a free download. Here is a link to the server containing the files for the S-Type:

http://www.mediafire.com/?3297awvo3atgw#jq3t61sbd3gd4

...So in a nutshell, without the JTIS Manual, my best bet is to purge the remaining air from the upper radiator hose and coolant reservoir?
Yes, the bleed screw on the upper radiator hose can break and requires replacement of the hose as the bleed screw is not supplied separately as a service part.

Old 12-28-2013 | 04:03 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

On my 2000 3.0 I have a bleed valve to the upper left on the coolant filler cap.

Use this link and go to the end of my procedure.
Link http://www.jagrepair.com/DCCVSType.htm

Last edited by Gus; 12-28-2013 at 04:07 PM. Reason: Addition of Link
Old 12-28-2013 | 09:33 PM
|

I appreciate all the replies I've gotten! Tomorrow I will be going to my friends house to take a look at his Jag. We spoke on the phone earlier today and he filled me in a little more on what the situation is, before I write it out, if this reply should be posted as a separate entry let me know and I will do so.

The issue that he is having with the S-type is that the engine is overheating. He originally thought it was the low coolant/air in the system. Today he informed me that levels are where they should be but when the car has been running for a couple of minutes the temperature will start to rise, the only thing, according to him, that will cause the temperature to level out is to turn on the A/C. I will go over the JTIS manual (thank you for the link NBCat!) but I'm posting this to see if you guys might have some insight on similar occurrences with the S-type's V6.

edit: I will also be searching the forums for similar posts. Thank you all for helping me kill two stones with one bird.

Old 12-28-2013 | 11:32 PM

I...The issue that he is having with the S-type is that the engine is overheating. He originally thought it was the low coolant/air in the system. Today he informed me that levels are where they should be but when the car has been running for a couple of minutes the temperature will start to rise, the only thing, according to him, that will cause the temperature to level out is to turn on the A/C. I will go over the JTIS manual (thank you for the link NBCat!) but I'm posting this to see if you guys might have some insight on similar occurrences with the S-type's V6.

edit: I will also be searching the forums for similar posts. Thank you all for helping me kill two stones with one bird.
You may want to look at the thermostat operation if the coolant level is normal and the engine is still overheating.

Thank you for showing compassion for the birds...