Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S-type/v8/2000 code p1388

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 09:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S-type/v8/2000 code p1388

2000/s-type/v8 code p1388
I am new and posted this elsewhere, but someone suggested I post it here, so I apologize in advance if you have already read it.

I Just had over $2000 worth of work done on my Jag (at a local AAA mechanic) as it was a gross polluter; the main thing they did was change the variable valve timing solenoid, and the emissions measurement went down from over 2000 to just over 800, but I live in Southern California so it still failed as it has to be 400 or under.

The check engine light was also on. The shop told me that when they made the repairs and resmogged it, the fail was because of the emissions, not the check engine light, but sure enough on the way home, when I stopped for milk and restarted the car, the check engine light was back on again. They are now saying that I will have to get a new passenger side catalytic converter, as it's the only thing they haven’t ruled out as to why it still won't pass smog.

The other weird thing is that I have had the car about 4 years and we are **** about the oil changes, and only 2 weeks ago we changed the oil again with the best oil we can find; so when they told us they needed to do an oil change and flush out the engine (for $133) to get rid of metal shavings that they "found" when they were changing the variable valve timing solenoid... we said no way. I did research and found that it can be a common repair shop scam and they said to say no if they tell you that. That was the only thing they suggested that we said no to because it just sounded wrong. Did we do wrong, should we have let them do it?

They are saying in writing that the P1388 code could be causing the engine light to come back on due to metal shavings in the oil. I am still skeptical, that’s why I am here. I am a woman and I am emotionally exhausted from all these charges and the thing still not passing smog AND the engine light is STILL on.

Any advice or recommendation is welcome..thank you!

Sylvia

Old 08-31-2012, 12:12 AM
Received 124 Likes on 79 Posts

Sylvia, The code you mention is definitely a variable vale timing code. Since the shop replaced the sensor, the only logical explanations would be that there is a circuit issue to that sensor, or that the valve timing may be off internally. removing the affected bank's valve cover would be relatively easy for a shop to do to inspect the cam timing. You may be experiencing a faulty chain tensioner. Any engine rattle on cold start ups? The metal shavings story sounds very suspicious. I'm being tactful! All the solenoid does is to direct engine oil flow at the advancing mechanism. Good, clean oil of the proper viscosity (5w-30 typically) should keep things moving properly. A weak or poor catalytic converter would certainly throw a code P0420. I doubt that it needs that cat at this time. Just one persons opinion!

The following users liked this post:
iamyuneek (09-04-2012)
Old 08-31-2012, 05:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,716 Likes on 1,216 Posts

Sylvia, hello and welcome to the forum.

This is somewhat af a common problem on the preface lift MYs (Model Year). Below is a link with many members that have experienced the P1388 and the fixes. Many with replies from our very knowledgable techs. Grab a cup of tea and have a read. This problem may be solved by a simple oil change BUT using a thicker oil (believe it or not).

I did an "Advanced Search" on the code "P1388", in the "S Type Section" only. Anyhow, be prepared to be enlightened on your fine automobile:

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum - Search Results

Let us know how it goes for you, please.

iamyuneek (09-04-2012)
Old 08-31-2012, 07:23 AM
Received 1,428 Likes on 1,069 Posts

Hi again Silvia,

I had a constant P1388 even after I changed out the VVT solenoid. Yes, you can visually inspect the VVT unit by taking the cam cover off but you cannot see inside the oil passages unless you remove the VVT actuator unit and that requires removing the entire timing cover and primary/secondary chains - BIG job.

I have tried thicker viscosity oil and it didn't do the trick.

Which oil and viscosity did you use?

What I did was I used engine flush and ran the car at idle for about 30 minutes and drained.

I added 6 qts of cheapie 5W20 oil, new oil filter and 1 qt - Mercon V transmission fluid and drove it normally.

Transmission fluid is highly detergent and gets into those small passages and cleans them out. There are many small passages inside a transmission case hence why I tried it.

It might take a while to clear and you might have to get that oil combination changed out once or even twice. (each time you change - substitute with 1qt Mercon V trans fluid) It worked for me and others and is worth a try if your willing.

Good Luck.

Last edited by abonano; 08-31-2012 at 07:25 AM.
iamyuneek (09-04-2012)
Old 09-04-2012, 11:02 AM

Thank you Rick, I tried that link but I got the message below, maybe I am too new to be able to read that forum?
Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms.

Old 09-04-2012, 12:32 PM
Received 6,361 Likes on 5,534 Posts

It's not you Sylvia.
You probably need to do your own search, go to the top of any page and click on search in the black bar, then click advanced search, in the "search in forums" box select S Type, in the "search by keywords" box put p1388 then click the search now button and get that cup of tea Rick mentioned.
abonano's advice above is worth paying attention to as he's been down the same road as you but a little extra reading never hurts.

iamyuneek (09-04-2012)
Old 09-04-2012, 12:35 PM
Received 2,266 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Originally Posted by Norri
It's not you Sylvia.
You probably need to do your own search, go to the top of any page and click on search in the black bar, then click advanced search, in the "search in forums" box select S Type, in the "search by keywords" box put p1388 then click the search now button and get that cup of tea Rick mentioned.
abonano's advice above is worth paying attention to as he's been down the same road as you but a little extra reading never hurts.
Yes, a custom search cannot be saved as a link for some reason. Follow what Norri says and you should get around 21 links that discuss P1388

iamyuneek (09-04-2012)
Old 09-04-2012, 02:29 PM

Thanks Abonano. I will show this to the mechanic.

I love my car so much but I live in California, and you cannot drive a car that won't pass 400 or below smog check, and if the check engine light is on it's an automatic fail. So I am faced with what could be many more "fixes" to try to get that light and the code to dissapear, and it especially annoying as the replaced the solenoid valve timer already, , but I really have no other options at this point, other than sell it out of state.

Do you think we should get that taken care of first before I spend another big chunk on a catalytic converter (as that appears to be the only thing we havent changed to get it to pass smog,) or could flushing the engine to get rid of the metal shavings (which we can now actually see in the plastic bag that they put the old solenoid valve in.) If they do the flush could that make the emission numbers go down even further, or will that simply remove the code and turn odd the check engine light? As I said we will change the catalytic converter but dont want to if we dont have to.

Thanks
Sylvia