Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S type v8 cold start /

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2020, 04:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy S type v8 cold start /

Good day to all my fellow forum members,

So, I'm very new to this whole vehicle maintenance thing & my understanding of it is all limited so I'm going to lay out my questions and hopefully some JAGUAR Genius could shed some light -

(1) my car probably does need a service - going to get to that soon, but this is my main issue. Sometimes the car doesn't start the first time ; this happens when the car is cold from an overnight park ;; after cranking the second or third time it only starts what could be the reason for this? It happens only sometimes - and it could be owed to the fact that perhaps the fuel level was low? & my car parks at an angle too so perhaps that has something todo with it - I'm not entirely sure ?

(2) the tyre also goes down on the right side in front - and I know that this gives the error of "PARKING BREAK FAIL" which I know has todo with the air pressure because after pumping that said wheel again the error disappears, I was thinking that when starting the car the error of PARKING BREAK FAILED perhaps the sensors being triggered drains the battery so it doesn't have enough energy to start? or does this sound like hogwash??

The car has power to move seats, lights, radio etc. and had the battery changed in the start of this year. You guys should also probably note that the cars engine is perfect and has no issues with power delivery or idling. there are also no error messages on the trip computer.

Should I just accept that the reason it only starts on the second crank could just be low fuel levels // parking at an incline when I have the low fuel level???

Please advise if you guys know whats up?

Old 08-17-2020, 08:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,538 Likes on 3,947 Posts

It would help to know more car details, like the year & miles (it has to be 2002.5MY+ to have the EPB).

Sounds like the battery (or possibly power/ground) is major suspect - don't rely on a newish one being OK. Search on here for battery checks & power drains.

Unless you have almost no fuel at all it's not related to the angle etc. Changed the fuel filter?

Last edited by JagV8; 08-17-2020 at 08:09 AM.
Old 08-17-2020, 09:16 AM
Received 8,179 Likes on 4,934 Posts

A check valve in either the electric pump or the transfer pump in the saddle tank could be faulty and the fuel would need to come up to pressure or purge vapor from the lines?

Old 08-17-2020, 12:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,059 Likes on 1,455 Posts

I'm scratching my head about a partially deflated tire causing a parking brake message. I just don't see the connection, but you said inflating the tire clears the message. Could this be related to other factors? For example, do you have your own air compressor, or are you driving slowly to a nearby place for air? Perhaps the root cause is low prestart voltage, but running the engine for a few minutes lets the battery take just enough of a charge so all is good after the next start. More details here about problems caused by low prestart voltage:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...attery-193787/

If low prestart voltage is the problem, note it isn't always caused by a defective battery. Other causes include poor charging, short trips with high electrical loads, or something draining the battery overnight.

But if somehow the fault is really connected to low tire pressure in some mysterious way, the fix is obvious. Have the tire repaired or replaced.

For the hard start condition, does the starter speed seem normal even if the engine won't run?

Do you have a scanner? It would be very helpful to read the fuel rail pressure. When you first turn the key to Run (not Start yet), the fuel pump should run briefly to pressurize the fuel rail. I'd be interested to see the pressure before start and then with the engine running. There's a check valve designed to hold pressure for the next start, but some pressure decay is normal after several hours. A leaky injector can bleed off pressure, too.

Old 08-19-2020, 03:53 PM
Received 159 Likes on 100 Posts

Hard starting....
- Battery too low of voltage
- ******bad relay*****
- clogged fuel filter
- bad fuel pump

As for the relay... I had a very hard to start condition and after a new battery, new fuel filter, and bench testing all relays I was convinced it was a fuel pump. Thanks to this post I found the problem was actually a relay! Crazy... a relay that bench tests 100% but will only start the car 1 out of maybe 20 trys. -> https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...arting-236068/

The following users liked this post:
S-Type Owner (08-20-2020)