S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

s type valve cover gasket

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 07:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default s type valve cover gasket

Ive got a 2002 s type 3.0. Every so often when I drive it after its sat a few days you smell oil burning especially if the heat is on. It appears to me and to my mechanic that the passengers side valve cover gasket is leakig and oil is dripping on the manifold. My question is what parts do i need to order to replace the valve gaskets other than the valve gaskets themselves and upper and lower intake gaskets? also while the intake is off i was going to replace the spark plugs. what kind is recommended for best performance? and is there anything else that i should go ahead and have done while it is apart. Im new to the jaguar world so i dont know too much about the technicals of them. Any input would be appreciated! The car has 80,000miles on it. Also occasionaly when you "get on it" it seems to slip when shifting from like 2nd gear to 3rd i believe. Its not consistent and its never thrown any codes except "transmission fault" only one time in the last year. It seems like its gonna shift then just revs up, if you let off the gas it shifts. It will do it several times then if you park the car and get back in it may not do it for 2 weeks. any suggestions? i was going to take it to the dealer and have the tranny fluid and filter changed bc i dont know if its ever been done since i bought the car w 70k on it and with 80k it wont hurt. I figured it would be a good place to start. But any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated. Im hoping its not the transmission itself taking a sh*t, but it seems to maybe be a sensor or pressure issue seeing as its not a consistent problem? anyway enough questions for now, i will shut up and let you guys hopefully help me out.

Thanks in advance!!
S

Old 01-12-2012, 08:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

I just recieved cam cover gaskets from JagBits. Wish I ordered them from Coventry West, for the best price and service.

Old 01-13-2012, 03:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,560 Likes on 3,965 Posts

Check it's not the IMTs - see FAQs.

Old 01-13-2012, 05:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,716 Likes on 1,216 Posts

S, no offense but man you need to use paragraphs.

IMT O-rings, dealer or www.motorcarsltd.com
rubber elbow, under lower intake, dealer
upper intake seals (gaskets) Fel-Pro
lower intake seals Fel-Pro

I would correct the engine, then worry about the transmission later. The engine may be causing the transmission problem.

Here is a link that may help: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...tenance-49309/

Old 01-13-2012, 11:43 AM

Thanks for the info! Sorry joycesjag, I tend to ramble a bit when posting lol.

So your saying replace the IMT o rings while it's apart, I'll need upper and lower intake seals and I should replace the rubber elbow under the lower intake? Any part numbers or other info on the rubber elbow?

And what spark plugs do you guys recommend? Anything else that should be done while its apart?

Thanks!

Old 01-13-2012, 01:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

Rick is the expert. NGK is the stock spark plug.

Old 01-13-2012, 06:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,716 Likes on 1,216 Posts

IMT O-Rings, are again in a different location than the MYs 2003 and up but you should replace them while intake is off. Cheap parts, again dealer or motorcarsltd.com

Rubber elbow under lower intake, dealer or maybe motorcarsltd.com Look at this link: Jaguar vacuum leak p0171 p0174 s-type 3.0 <-- Thank you Gus

Spark plugs, just go with Iridiums

Old 03-01-2017, 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by sinister s-type
Ive got a 2002 s type 3.0. Every so often when I drive it after its sat a few days you smell oil burning especially if the heat is on. It appears to me and to my mechanic that the passengers side valve cover gasket is leakig and oil is dripping on the manifold. My question is what parts do i need to order to replace the valve gaskets other than the valve gaskets themselves and upper and lower intake gaskets? also while the intake is off i was going to replace the spark plugs. what kind is recommended for best performance? and is there anything else that i should go ahead and have done while it is apart. Im new to the jaguar world so i dont know too much about the technicals of them. Any input would be appreciated! The car has 80,000miles on it. Also occasionaly when you "get on it" it seems to slip when shifting from like 2nd gear to 3rd i believe. Its not consistent and its never thrown any codes except "transmission fault" only one time in the last year. It seems like its gonna shift then just revs up, if you let off the gas it shifts. It will do it several times then if you park the car and get back in it may not do it for 2 weeks. any suggestions? i was going to take it to the dealer and have the tranny fluid and filter changed bc i dont know if its ever been done since i bought the car w 70k on it and with 80k it wont hurt. I figured it would be a good place to start. But any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated. Im hoping its not the transmission itself taking a sh*t, but it seems to maybe be a sensor or pressure issue seeing as its not a consistent problem? anyway enough questions for now, i will shut up and let you guys hopefully help me out.

Thanks in advance!!
S
Originally Posted by joycesjag
IMT O-Rings, are again in a different location than the MYs 2003 and up but you should replace them while intake is off. Cheap parts, again dealer or motorcarsltd.com

Rubber elbow under lower intake, dealer or maybe motorcarsltd.com Look at this link: Jaguar vacuum leak p0171 p0174 s-type 3.0 <-- Thank you Gus

Spark plugs, just go with Iridiums
Sorry to revive an old thread, Im having the same exact problem as far as the gasket leak and my car "slipping" once i really get on it. Im doing the valve cover gasket job in the next week and wanted to see if Sinister was ablr to fix that problem with the new gaskets... Thanks in advance.

Old 03-01-2017, 01:04 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

2nd to 3rd shifts are an engineering marvel on these trannys. They need to perform about 3 things in perfect order and timing to shift 2-3. It is often solenoids that are getting lazy/sticky but can be valve body issues as well (known for valve body gaskets blowing out). Unless you have some fairly serious ability it is probably best to bring it to a transmission shop that you know is on the level. Just my 2cents