S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S-Type vs X-Type????

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 10:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S-Type vs X-Type????

Whats the differnce between a s-type 3.0l and a x-type 3.0l. Are the cars the same except for the front end?????

Old 11-15-2011, 11:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 217 Likes on 129 Posts

The big thing is the S type is rear wheel drive so they are mounted different. The X type is transversely mounted. I'm sure there is more. But this may be a huge thing as sometimes this means the oil pan, oil pump, accessory locations, and various other things are going to be mounted different. The blocks may be the same but I'm not sure on that as I'm not familiar with the X-type.

The following users liked this post:
Siueparent (11-15-2011)
Old 11-15-2011, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by vance580
The big thing is the S type is rear wheel drive so they are mounted different. The X type is transversely mounted. I'm sure there is more. But this may be a huge thing as sometimes this means the oil pan, oil pump, accessory locations, and various other things are going to be mounted different. The blocks may be the same but I'm not sure on that as I'm not familiar with the X-type.
Did not know the x-type wasn't rwd. Thanks for the info.

Old 11-15-2011, 11:23 PM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

In general, the difference is sort of like a BMW 3 series vs. a 5 series. Not much in common.

Old 11-15-2011, 11:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 217 Likes on 129 Posts

Its either FWD or AWD but both are transversely mounted. I'm sure someone will know for sure but usually with FWD and RWD vehicles using the same engine its usually got different stuff mainly oil stuff because the oil is going to slosh to the rear on a rear wheel drive and to the side on the FWD so components are usually a little different.

Old 11-15-2011, 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by vance580
Its either FWD or AWD but both are transversely mounted. I'm sure someone will know for sure but usually with FWD and RWD vehicles using the same engine its usually got different stuff mainly oil stuff because the oil is going to slosh to the rear on a rear wheel drive and to the side on the FWD so components are usually a little different.
I don't think it'll work I thought both were rwd.

Old 11-16-2011, 09:38 AM
Default X Vs S

I have owned both .. The X-Type is all wheel drive using technology lifted from the Ford Mondeo (Europe). The S-Type is rear wheel drive only. The X-Type is smaller and I found the AWD system made it very thirsty for the size of vehicle. I did not have a good experience with my 2003 X-Type with many build quality problems but then I may have just been unlucky. We currently have a 2004 S-Type 3.0 that my wife uses. Much more comfortable than the X-Type and more room. Gas mileage is about the same or even slightly better due the lack of the AWD system. If you live is a climate ehwere you get snow and bad weather, the AWD in the X-Type may be of value. Ride smoother in S-Type. 2003 and later S-Types have the 6 speed auto transmission which is nice .. I believe the same as in some BMW models. I have found the 3.0L 6 cylinder to be have reasonable performance. Hope this helps.

Old 11-16-2011, 10:04 AM
Received 161 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikey
In general, the difference is sort of like a BMW 3 series vs. a 5 series. Not much in common.
What Mikey said.

bfsgross (11-17-2011)
Old 11-16-2011, 10:30 AM

Thanks guys

Old 11-16-2011, 12:31 PM
Default X Vs S Type Comparison LinkLink

Here is a link to a comparison tht may help...

Jaguar S-Type vs. Jaguar X-Type car comparison, compare auto pricing, specs, and features

Old 11-16-2011, 12:38 PM
Default Another X vs S Type Comparison Link

More info .. Apparantly there was briefly a FWD version of the X-Type but it was not well received and I have never seen one in North America.

If your in an area that gets any kind of serious Winter weather and planning to try to drive around in the snow and ice, the X-Type might be the way to go. I have spoken to owners who had S-Types in cold climates and they said they didn't even try to drive in snow or ice .. Too tail happy.

Recently Deceased: The Jaguar S-Type and Jaguar X-Type

Good luck

Old 11-16-2011, 01:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,533 Likes on 3,942 Posts

Plenty of S-Type owners drive them in the winter. Especially in Canada.... Even the STR (e.g. member WinterJag - read his posts). Use winter tires

Old 11-16-2011, 02:08 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Darelian
A sometimes-interesting article which never lets facts get in the way!

Old 11-16-2011, 02:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts

OP, were you considering doing a "cut and shut" an S-Type rear and a X-Type front if it lined up?

Old 11-16-2011, 03:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,366 Likes on 2,855 Posts

Actually, John, I found the S-Type portion of the article to be fairly accurate. Since I have no interest in the X-Type, I did not read that portion....

Keep in mind that these cars were never in high demand even when they were in production, and certainly are in very limited demand today. One must know these cars well in order to appreciate them, and most folks do not even consider the Jaguar brand as an automotive option for them because of decades of a basically unreliable reputation. That being said, those of us who know the S-Type's modern history realize that it can be a fantastic bang-for-the-buck based upon its horrendous depreciation and the ability for us to D-I-Y the majority of the routine maintenance along with the well-known issues that will invariably pop up sooner or later....

Old 11-16-2011, 04:01 PM
Veteran Member

It was the S-Type part that's not good! Says there was no new generation - but 2002.5MY is exactly that (Generation II S-Type, just not called that). You know, jag changed:
engines
gearboxes
suspension (a lot)
computers
multimedia
brakes (such as Brembos)
and no doubt stuff that escapes me right now

Looks like the author doesn't understand why the quoted HP changed (SAE/ISO standard changes), which is poor for someone in the business.

No-one I've seen says the S-Types are underpowered but no doubt someone does.

The shift quality sounds to be the lurch and you'd sure hope someone in the business knows it was the ZF box used also by BMW and Audi - and affecting their cars the same. Until ZF fixed it.

The author appears ignorant of the JD Powers reliability data. And appears unaware of BMW's problems. (I'm not gonna mention the reliable Japanese accelerators and brakes!)

Old 11-16-2011, 04:23 PM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Originally Posted by JagV8
Plenty of S-Type owners drive them in the winter. Especially in Canada.... Even the STR (e.g. member WinterJag - read his posts). Use winter tires
We sure do! Wheeee!

JagV8 (11-16-2011)
Old 11-17-2011, 10:09 AM
Default S-Type in Winter

Sorry .. No offense to those who have the skill and experience to drive S-Types in snow .. I drove Camaros, Corvettes, and Mustangs in "TO" (Toronto) for 15 years but found not everyone shared my enthusiasm for doing donuts in parking lots and generally have fun . Now I live in Florida where 3 drops of rain cause complete chaos .
Agree that some of the articles do not accurately capture the facts and when all is said and done, it comes down to persoanal needs, preferences, and tastes. I liked a lot about my X-Type but as I mentioned, was unfortunate enought to get one with some significant build quality issues ... Transmission, guage cluster, fuel sender, A/C, etc.. All fixed under warranty but still a hassle. I did drive up into the mountains of Kentucky over some rough unsurfaced roads with mud and found the AWD great. The S-Type is very nice vehicle that drives wonderfully and is very comfortable. I would say the X and S-Types have very different personalities both with pros and cons ... Just depends what you need and like.

Old 11-17-2011, 11:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

I've had both. Other than some interior styling similarities, they are pretty different cars. My 2002X was trouble prone, but a total mountain goat in the snow with proper tires. The STR won't be given the chance to show its stuff in the snow, she gets parked for the winter. More due to road salt exposure than traction concerns though.

Old 11-19-2011, 07:59 AM
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

I'm with Chris on the road salt. I got her a Subaru Outback for those duties and I a Saturn wagon. The Jag is her garage queen. Actually I took it out for a spin yesterday since it hadn't been driven since my birthday in Oct. Took about 5 miles for the tires to smooth out.

In my younger days I drove a couple 2wd Chevy pickups year round. Provided some interesting driving experiances on snow & ice for sure. So I supose anything is possible with a good driver. I think most will agree that any RWD is not going to be optimal in slipery conditions. Well unless it is also rear/mid engine like the old Bug or a Corvair. Yes, I'm that old.

Actually, around here they use so much salt you seldom encounter actual snow or ice conditions. Just lots of rotted out cars.

Quick Reply: S-Type vs X-Type????