S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S-Type vs XF

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2016 | 10:48 AM
Veteran Member

The S-Type 3.0 uses the Ford Duratech V6 engine built in Cleveland, Ohio. Jaguar added Variable Valve Timing and two Intake Manifold Tuner valves for a bit more power as well as enhanced fuel economy during highway driving. These engines have proven to be quite good for the long haul when given proper routine maintenance....

Old 02-28-2016 | 10:02 AM

I strongly considered purchasing the XF - the two things that swayed my decision not to buy one was a) styling wasn't distinctive enough for a Jaguar. Would be mistaken for any run of the mill cars on the road, nothing stood out that called out that the car was a Jaguar.
b) given the S-type experience where the styling was good but the depreciation on the car was ridiculous. Really- at 58K car is practically worthless in a few years. There is more resale value with a Toyota Corolla. As a result I went with the MB E350 - no oomph factor but atleast it's predictable.

Old 02-28-2016 | 10:40 AM

The debate over styling is surely a subjective one indeed, but remember that auto manufacturers are in the business of making money, and to that end, they employ focus groups as well as other means, to determine styling cues.

Many younger people do not know about, nor care about, cars from before they were born. To many of them, the S-Type is an 'old person's car' that they would never buy. They often want four doors to be able to carry their friends, a stereo system to entertain the neighbourhood and painted brake calipers to be seen through ugly black wheels. To attract these future younger buyers, Jaguar and others must build vehicles those younger buyers find attractive. Styling cues, no matter how great, from vehicles of the 1950s and 1960s, do not impress most young buyers. Thus the Honda-esque XE and XF models, which perhaps one day, may become 'classics' to this new generation of Jaguar buyers.

The following 2 users liked this post by NBCat:
Grant Francis (02-28-2016), Jumpin' Jag Flash (03-05-2016)
Old 02-28-2016 | 11:44 AM
Veteran Member

These youngsters (apart from drug suppliers and the like) can't afford a new Jaguar.

So Jaguar need to target those who can.

They do also need a market for used cars.

Currently Jaguar seem to make nothing I can afford and generally nothing I want. That must be true of many and generally all the young people.

The market they do seem to be targetting is overcrowded by Audi, BMW, etc.

The following 3 users liked this post by JagV8:
Datsports (02-28-2016), Grant Francis (02-28-2016), Jumpin' Jag Flash (03-05-2016)
Old 02-28-2016 | 03:13 PM

I might like to try an XF in about 10yrs when they're $7,000. I might even get used to the way they look.

Old 02-28-2016 | 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by JagV8
These youngsters (apart from drug suppliers and the like) can't afford a new Jaguar.

Then you must come visit Newport Beach or this part of Southern California.

Not uncommon to see 'Millennials' driving high-end, luxury vehicles or even dabbling with exotics in this part of the world. I saw a new Bentley 'wrapped' in bright, flat orange with the black wheels as well as a 'murdered out' black RR Ghost with all the chrome trim done in black (yes, even the Spirit of Ecstacy was black). A Millennial was driving each of those.

I'm certain if there was a Jaguar model they found appealing, other that the ubiquitous F-Type, they would gladly drive it. Too often they opt for an Audi R8, M5 or a Porsche GT3 RS, or if a saloon is to their liking, a Tesla Model S, Panamera or the sort.

Interesting to see if the F-Pace can conquest Cayenne or Q7 buyers.

Old 02-28-2016 | 04:53 PM
Veteran Member

Yeah but that's 0.000000001% of the buying public. Not worth designing a car for them.

Old 02-28-2016 | 10:46 PM
Veteran Member

S-Types (numerous in Atlanta) attract early 30s to 50s age bracket, primarily because of the aforementioned depreciation, AND most early examples still look minty. Most of the Craigslist ads show them at $5,000 or less, and max of 120k miles! I see many who had to get out of 2 door sports cars roll up to Church with a 1st generation S-Type (because now they have children or grandchildren). Only a handful of XJ and even less XKs show up. There's no real bolt-on aftermarket for Jaguars in general, to that rules out young shade tree mechanics and tinkerers, since they can't be fixed with a screwdriver.

We'll see what a 10 year old XF will be worth...while I'll still be driving my S. By then, my weekly P1584 code will be ancient history, and others on this forum would have found a way to rig up a modern head unit.

Last edited by Warspite; 02-28-2016 at 10:49 PM. Reason: Spell Check
Old 02-29-2016 | 07:06 AM

My two-cents on why and who buys a Jaguar -

First and foremost one expects a Jaguar to turn heads, stand out in looks and distinctiveness from it's peer luxury models. One expects if all the luxury models were lined up side to side - it would the Jaguar that they be drawn to - has to be elegant and sharp looking not blend with whatever is the current trending look. It should announce itself as a Jag and not some common Beamer or Benz.

Any Jaguar needs to carry the looks into the interior as well - a nice blend of luxury with contemporary or classic lines, depending on who the target buyer is.

The Jaguar needs to come equipped with some powerful/over-the-top options in the engine department and a standard set of gadgets and gizmos expected from luxury vehicles. The features don't have to necessarily be better than other competitors in its class, just has to be comparable.

Who is the target audience? I say everyone from a going-thru-mid-life-crisis 40 and upwards with a sizable disposable income. Leave the younger yuppie crowd to the Audi, BMW, Porsche folks - it's already a crowded field. These are the folks who like to make a statement when they drive a Jaguar - whether its a two-seater or a sedan. This is not the reliability crowd looking for a commuting car, or a safety conscious soccer mom, these are folks who want to impress quietly.

If a Jaguar doesn't turn heads when it rolls by and solicit questions from onlookers "what was that", it has failed miserably.

My two cents -agree or disagree?

Old 02-29-2016 | 07:19 AM
Veteran Member

Well, disagree for me. I had an almost opposite set of wants.

Old 02-29-2016 | 07:47 AM
Veteran Member

As S-Type values drop to next to nothing, more and more of them in my geographical area are being scooped up by the ghetto crowd and then wind up being pimped to the point of ridiculousness. Exactly what began happening to the Chrysler 300C five or six years ago. The good news is that there are far fewer S-Types for these guys to grab....

Old 02-29-2016 | 09:16 AM
Veteran Member

I have yet to see a ST with suicide doors. I DID see one yesterday - a blacked out 1st Generation 4.0, with all of the chrome and logos - even the leaper, on black rims. Tastefully done. I have yet to see a ST up on 26" rims - since no manufacturer makes a suspension lift kit for these cars (thank goodness).

I see used STs as replacement cars for those who have just grown out of the Pimp My Ride phase - because they now need child car seats, and 4 doors. And who can argue. They're old enough to still be made of STEEL, have a bit of weight behind them, and the 6 cyl. ones get decent mileage for a close to a 5,000 lb car.

XF is too new to get pimped out.

Old 02-29-2016 | 11:53 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Warspite
I have yet to see a ST with suicide doors.
Be careful what threads you click...I seem to recall pics of such an atrocity posted here, somewhere....

Old 02-29-2016 | 12:07 PM
Sponsor

Originally Posted by sjgh
My two-cents on why and who buys a Jaguar -

First and foremost one expects a Jaguar to turn heads, stand out in looks and distinctiveness from it's peer luxury models. One expects if all the luxury models were lined up side to side - it would the Jaguar that they be drawn to - has to be elegant and sharp looking not blend with whatever is the current trending look. It should announce itself as a Jag and not some common Beamer or Benz.

Any Jaguar needs to carry the looks into the interior as well - a nice blend of luxury with contemporary or classic lines, depending on who the target buyer is.

The Jaguar needs to come equipped with some powerful/over-the-top options in the engine department and a standard set of gadgets and gizmos expected from luxury vehicles. The features don't have to necessarily be better than other competitors in its class, just has to be comparable.

Who is the target audience? I say everyone from a going-thru-mid-life-crisis 40 and upwards with a sizable disposable income. Leave the younger yuppie crowd to the Audi, BMW, Porsche folks - it's already a crowded field. These are the folks who like to make a statement when they drive a Jaguar - whether its a two-seater or a sedan. This is not the reliability crowd looking for a commuting car, or a safety conscious soccer mom, these are folks who want to impress quietly.

If a Jaguar doesn't turn heads when it rolls by and solicit questions from onlookers "what was that", it has failed miserably.

My two cents -agree or disagree?
Full agreement!

Old 02-29-2016 | 12:38 PM
pab
Veteran Member

FYI, I just put this question to the XF, new XF, and XE lists (i.e., why did you buy your car)?

I'll pass along anything interesting that shows up.
==================================================
Jaguar: Grace, Pace, and Space - Sir William Lyons
Current Hers: '13 Lexus ES350
Current Mine: '08 Jaguar S-Type 4.2 "Satin Edition" (250.06 whp / 259.67 torque)
Past Ours: '05 X-Type 3.0/auto Jaguar Racing Green

The following users liked this post:
Jumpin' Jag Flash (03-05-2016)
Old 02-29-2016 | 03:24 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by aholbro1
Be careful what threads you click...I seem to recall pics of such an atrocity posted here, somewhere....
If you have to dig that deep, then it's only a handful. Besides, who would pimp a ride that cost thousands to do - when just basic upkeep costs thousands alone? LOL.

Old 02-29-2016 | 04:28 PM
Veteran Member

I'll tell you who would. ****ing morons. And you can bet that they're out there....

The following users liked this post:
Jumpin' Jag Flash (03-05-2016)
Old 02-29-2016 | 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by JagV8

They do also need a market for used cars.

Currently Jaguar seem to make nothing I can afford and generally nothing I want. That must be true of many and generally all the young people.

The market they do seem to be targetting is overcrowded by Audi, BMW, etc.
That couldn't be further from the truth. These days, young people are not uncommonly starting jobs out of college that pay as much or more than their parents could have ever hoped for at their age. Tech companies are thriving and the "old guard" of consumers are not only getting even older but also spending less.

Companies like Jaguar know this and are designing accordingly. Look how Cadillac turned their ship around. Same idea. It's a business. Plus, there are always going to be people who think older is better. You know, the same things were being said about the S type when it first came out as you guys are saying about the XF etc.

I personally enjoy old school more than new. I feel like the old cars and bikes have more character and soul, despite the obvious fact that they can't compare in actual performance. I'm ok with that. It's whatever makes you happy in my book.

Old 02-29-2016 | 05:25 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Overblown
That couldn't be further from the truth. These days, young people are not uncommonly starting jobs out of college that pay as much or more than their parents could have ever hoped for at their age. Tech companies are thriving and the "old guard" of consumers are not only getting even older but also spending less.
You have completely the opposite experience I have. I'm the very person you describe - or was, but it was years ago.

Old 02-29-2016 | 07:32 PM

Perhaps the XE, when it launches in NA, can attract a new generation of Jaguar buyers who can then move up the model range as they become increasingly successful with their careers.

Quick Reply: S-Type vs XF