S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S-type or XJ8?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 08:53 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default S-type or XJ8?

Greetings! I hope this is ok, but I'm re-posting my intro into the appropriate model-type threads; looking for some advice:

Greetings!

I've heard Jaguars have lots of problems. Is that true?

Just kidding <my signature could also be "stupid sense of humor Jim".>

Firstly, thanks for the forum & thanks for ALL the input from the posters. I've been hanging here for some time & am about 98% certain that I'm going to acquire a Jaguar soon. Per the "New Members email" that I actually read, a little info about me:

early 40's married father of two in southwest Ohio. I'm anxious for several reasons: 1. Have mostly been a Honda Toyota guy throughout my life. I've always thought "I want a car that is 100% reliable because I live pretty far away from any major cities with decent repair shops." However, I've reached a stage where I can say "I don't mind if I have to put a few dollars extra maintenance into my car if it provides a great driving experience. I truly haven't enjoyed a car for years (have had trucks & SUV's for a few years.) 2. Am slightly concerned that my Jaguar experience could be bad, but only slightly. I'm sure most of the REALLY bad situations are pretty rare. But I'm mostly anxious because 3. I CANNOT DECIDE WHICH CAR TO GET!.

I can tell you this - I was absolutely set on either a 3-series wagon (I love wagons), or a 7-series, or an S-type Benz. But after a lot of research, the forum posters have convinced me that typically 2003 & up models are quite reliable and much less common, and overall GREAT CARS. So then, I was dead set on an S-Type, but they are very difficult to find with my criteria. It seems the XJ8's are much more available, so now I'm considering either. My criteria is this if it's all possible: 1. 2004 & up model, either XJ or S-type (not int'd in X-type). 2. Maximum of $21,000 price. 3. Maximum of 60k miles, and preferably quite a bit less. 4. V-8 only; not int'd in the 3.0. And not interested in the Supercharged model; I tend to keep my cars WAY too long, like 140k miles and at that point, they are almost an expensive liability, based on the value that it will be worth at that time. 5. Will not own black (I don't keep them clean enough), will not own white (I just do NOT like white vehicles). My preferences are BRG (JRG?), then probably the burgundy, then maybe the gray or silver. Possibly the seafoam green (I think it's beautiful, but do men drive that color?) and light blue. Must be in Very Good Condition. 6. Really want the back seats that fold down, correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe both models do.

That's my criteria. My needs are mostly this: mostly just me commuting to work about 50 miles round trip daily. However, would also be a church car on the weekends (1 teen & 1 pre-teen). Son is 6'1" so most likely, mom will be in the back with daughter. It'll likely be the vehicle we take to occasional dinners, etc.

I've tried to locate a green V-8 S-type but am having some troubles. I've found them 300 miles away, but I dread taking an entire day off only to get there & find it's full of dings, etc. I drove a 4.2 S-type & LOVED it; I must admit I haven't driven an XJ yet. However, since the S-type that I want is such a rare bird, I've also been stronly considering an XJ & will drive one when I find one available.

So give me pointers, tips, etc, based on what you know about what I'm looking for. As a side question, there is a local dealer (cincinnati) who has a 2000 XJ8L with 91k for $8k. My budget could be over double that, but is it even worth looking at, perhaps as an entry-level thing? Obviously it has the 4.0 liter & 91k miles, so I know I could pay the asking price in maintenance if I'm not careful. But I was thinking that since it's at a dealer, it might be top notch.

As always, thanks for your pointers.

Old 08-28-2011, 10:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

Hi Jim. Obviously both the XJ and S-Type are beautiful sexy cars. Of course, I'm partial to the S-Type, particularly the "R". Check both out carefully before making a decision. Remember, the STR will blow the doors off the XJ8, XJ-R, even some XKR's of the same year. Jaguar eventually made the S-Type its flagship and tuned her thus. Check the thread of one of two of our members selling their 03 and 05 STR's...come...join us.

Old 08-28-2011, 10:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 21,534 Likes on 8,668 Posts

You might not want to be too particular on criteria 2, 3 and 4 if at all possible. There could be some S-Types available that are just above/below what you're looking for and couild serve you well.
Driving to church in an S-Type WILL bring lots of compliments, just wait and see.
Ask your local dealer if he can help in anyway to bring in a car that is close to what you want. They may be able to do some searching and trade one they have for another that you want.
Please don't dismiss the 3.0, it's quite a satisfactory car and you could be missing out on having fun. I like mine a lot.
For repairs, investigate an extended warranty, that could save you $$$ in the future if repairs do become necessary.
Good luck..

Old 08-28-2011, 05:04 PM
Received 69 Likes on 57 Posts

Anxious Jim,

I have owned both an XJ8 and an S-Type (I currently own a 2007 gold S-Type).

Here are my recommendations:
1) Take your time to get the car you want. Don't rush to purchase anything less, or else you will have buyers remorse and regret it. Forget about the 2000 XJ8L - it's not in your original set of requirements regarding model year and my gut tells me you might regret not waiting to get what you really want.

2) You may want to would check out the certified preowned Jaguars on the Jaguar.com site. These are newer models that have been through a rigorous inspection and are Jaguar certified. I realize you have a budget, however you might find something that fits. I purchased my 2007 S-type (only 7,400 miles) about 9 months ago for $28K.

3) As Jayt2 mentioned above, please don't dismiss the 3.0. You might just find a 3.0 model that meets all of your requirements.

Good luck!
Michael

2007 Jaguar S-Type 3.0 (Golden Cat)

Old 08-28-2011, 05:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 21,534 Likes on 8,668 Posts

Addenda: Have you considered leasing a late model S-Type with the factory extended warranty...6 years or 100,000 miles? Total costs for 'x' years would be well within your price range.

Old 08-28-2011, 05:56 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

All good info; I suppose I'll drive a 3.0 if one is available. And yeah BrownRobin-your deduction that the dealers car is nowhere near my criteria makes sense. I'll keep looking. I posted for Jason to send pics of his. Any other takes from other members? Many thanks.

Old 08-28-2011, 06:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

We have two guys here who want to unload their excellent shape, low mileage, and affordable STR's...so please cut the prim and proper crap and buy one already! Jaysus H....

Last edited by bfsgross; 08-28-2011 at 06:17 PM.