S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S-Types for the big and tall guy

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 08:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S-Types for the big and tall guy

I have started my search for the next car and really like the S-type look. I have looked at the dimensions of the headroom and leg room but that oftentimes doesn't tell the complete story. Since I am 6"5" and 290 am I going to be able to fit in this car or should I go up to the XJ8 instead? I'm looking at the 2005-2006 years for the S-type.

Any help or suggestions whether it be for this car or for any other affordable luxury cars would be appreciated.

Old 01-31-2010, 09:20 PM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default big & tall

I'm sorry, but I don't think S-type is a car for you. I'm 6ft, 200 lb and the pedals are rather too close to the seat for my liking, even with the seat all the way back. Plus there's not a whole lot of headroom. I've grown to accept it as a part of "Jaguar experience".

'04-'09 XJ (X350) would probably be a better fit for you...

Old 01-31-2010, 09:27 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

x2, the 04+ xj is very roomy, I think you should go that route, but the best thing you can do is sit in both and see what you think. I know you are alot bigger than me, but I'm 6ft and 250 lbs and I have plenty of room in my xj

Old 01-31-2010, 11:42 PM

I'm 6'4" 220lb, and I have to say that the first time I picked up my STR I felt it might have been a mistake. I definitely was cramped a bit. About 80 miles in to my maiden voyage, I decided to pull into a gas station and play around with the seat controls...which can be a little intimidating at first because there are a million options.

All I can tell you is that after spending 10 minutes really trying out all of the seat controls, I finally found a setting that really works for me. Night and day difference. All the way back of course, but lowering a bit had the added effect of feeling I had more room. I didn't even realize at the time that it had adjustable pedals...once I moved those all the way forward, it's been more than fine for me. I regularly make 300 mile (one way) trips and I've not been "fatigued" or cramped.

Best advice is to take the time to sit in one and test drive it beforehand...don't feel embarrassed about taking 10 minutes to adjust the seats and play with the controls to see how comfortable you'll be.

Old 02-01-2010, 03:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,527 Likes on 3,937 Posts

When trying one, make sure it does have the adjustable pedals as well as many-way (16?) seat. I think these were options in some/many cars. The handbooks can be downloaded free (see forum stickies) so you can figure out how to tell and how to operate the adjustment controls.

My guess would be that the R seat in an STR might be too narrow for comfort but try one

To show how seats fit (or not), I'm almost identical height to a friend (not large in any dimension) and we used to own identical cars. He was really uncomfortable and set about the driver seat padding etc. I was comfortable. His head was nearly touching the headliner. Mine missed by inches! Yes... we have different length legs, abdomen, etc. So, you really have to sit in and drive the cars.

Old 02-01-2010, 07:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,356 Likes on 2,849 Posts

I'm 6'7" and about 250 pounds. Once I push the seat all the way back on its rails and then get the seat-back tilt where I need it, I can drive the car comfortably for a couple of hours on the interstate. But I'm way too tall to be able to use this car as my daily driver. I don't have enough legroom or headroom. At 290, there's just no way you're going to be able to get comfortable for any length of time....

Do what I do - use a full-size pickup truck as your daily driver. That's the only way you're ever going to be completely comfortable for long periods of time....

Old 02-01-2010, 10:04 AM
Default Nothing is Perfect

I am 6'4" and well past 300 pounds. I have found my S-Type to be as comfortable as anything else out there that is not a van or SUV. As indicated, play with the seat controls, especially moving it down. I drove my boss's Acura RT and it was MUCH more cramped. I have taken several 500 mile trips in this car quite comfortably.

Mike

Old 02-02-2010, 09:12 PM
Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts

Let me preface by saying you WILL be more comfortable in an XJ. I am 5'10" 220, with VERY wide shoulders/all upper body, and I fit pretty well in it. Its snug but almost like wrapping me in a cockpit. The armrest slots jet out into the door, so you get some extra space there. If there is another big dude in my passenger seat, we do not/cannot share the armrest, my right arm takes up the whole armrest, thats the only way its comfortable for me. Its usually just my 110lbs, 5'3" wife and I so thats usually not an issue.

That being said the brake pedals adjust on mine, and the way the seats adjust, allows you to get the seat VERY low so you shouldnt have that much of head hitting the ceiling issue.

My friend, 6'7" drove it back from the dealer for me, and he loved it. Dont know if it he would feel that way if he would feel that way after driving it everyday.

Basically it fits me perfectly, would like it a little bigger but whatever. At 290, 6'5" I really dont think this would be the right move unfortunately. Going to have to really take the S and XJ on long test drives, thats really the only way you'll know. Let us know what you decide. Good luck

Old 02-02-2010, 09:24 PM

Thanks to all that have replied - I'm no stranger to the cockpit design as I own a 2005 Saab (born of jets) 9.5 which i fit in remarkably well believe it or not. Its always a crap shoot with cars as I fit in the Saab and VW Golf but not in such monsters as a Buick Roadmaster. What I was looking for was a potential sporty and luxurious ride that would be less than 18,000. Of course, now I am going to have to reconsider my position since my 9.5 Saab Arc with 45,000 is worth less than $9,000. And you all thought Jags depreciated badly.

I'm also no stranger to premium gas and synthetic oil changes. One question though - I had my front breaks done with new pads and rotors (OEM) and it was around $450. How much would that cost on a 2005 XJ8. Are Jags that much more expensive to repair?

Old 02-03-2010, 07:48 AM
Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts

Doesnt help that Saab is no longer, or are were they resurrected from some random company? Cant keep up. Anyways, the STR is very expensive when it comes to brakes because of the Brembo system, and large rotors. No experience with XJ's or other STypes. If you play it smart, i.e. ordering pads and rotors online (either OEM or aftermarket) and having a place install them for you, I cant imagine the costs being much higher, plus you can get better quality pads and rotors than OEM for less i.e. ceramics. There are a few threads about brake replacement on this board, also check the XJ section.

For general maintenance, if you bring it to the dealer, its not the hourly wage that will get you, its the parts. They are expensive. I try and order everything online to avoid the mark up. Also, check your area for independent mechanics that specialize in Jags, if you can find a reputable one, your golden.

Old 02-03-2010, 10:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

i just did my front pads on my str by myself.....pads were 109 from the rack (the akebono ones) and the install was really simple. The brembos have the 2 pins you remove, pop the old ones out and then basically pop the new ones in. Took about 15 minutes tops once the wheels were off. Havent done the rears yet though. Also you might want to search ebay for a 60-80 dollar code reader. might be good for you to have.

Old 02-03-2010, 10:47 AM
Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

[quote=rspencer1212;172487]Thanks to all that have replied -

I'm also no stranger to premium gas and synthetic oil changes.

Premium gas yes, synthetic oil no..Jag does not require synth oil..only a personal choice of many.

Old 02-03-2010, 12:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm 6'5 250 and am very comfortable in my 2005 S type. It all depends on what you are used to and how much/far you drive.

Old 02-03-2010, 08:42 PM

6'3" 340lbs

I can't drive my R more than a couple hours due to the narrow seat.

Old 01-08-2011, 11:34 PM

I'm 6'3" 240lbs. Bought my stype (dream car) 3 months ago. Fixed a few things made it my daily driver. Noticed I was having left hip pain after 4-6 weeks. Thought it may be due to the Jag then drove to San Diego last weekend and my discomfort intensified. I drive it with the seat all the way back and down. Switched back to the Altima and no hip pain. Have tried a pad no luck. Either I find a replacement seat thats comfortable and fits in the Jag (not likely) or I'll have to let her go. Bummer.

Old 01-08-2011, 11:53 PM
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

The drivers seat is going to look like hell after about a year at that weight. I'm 200 and i can't stand how much the bolsters are cracking

Old 01-09-2011, 12:18 AM
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

I think People has different sitting preference.
tell how tall or how heavy wont help a lot, but going to the use car dealers, playing with the seat adjustment before test drive to purchase the car will help a lot.

good luck in searching for your next car.

Old 01-09-2011, 09:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,527 Likes on 3,937 Posts

There are also Sport and non-Sport seats, which are different across the hip.

Old 01-09-2011, 09:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,642 Likes on 1,068 Posts

You need to sit in both. I'm a short, sawed-off dude and in most any seating position, my head brushes the headliner in my XJ. Not so in the S-Types, which are taller. Having said that, I find the S-type feels way-cramped in comparison to my XJ, granted it is several generations older than what you are considering. But I pretty much only drive the S's to the fueling station and back, vs. 100 mi/day in the XJ. Look at the wb/overall length and width...I was surprised at how similar the numbers are.

Old 01-09-2011, 06:38 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

6'1" 240...this car has more than enough room. My XJ8 was sometimes problematic (tight, cockpit-like feel), but I have no issues with the STR

Quick Reply: S-Types for the big and tall guy