S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For Sale question for my '03 STR

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2017, 02:35 PM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default For Sale question for my '03 STR

I plan on selling my '03 STR with 95k miles +/_ sometime soon and was interested in knowing your thoughts on fair asking prices.

I've owned it for going on 2 years and put 6k miles on it. I've replaced the rotors/brakes, rear control arms, driver side headlight assembly, coolant, dreaded HCCV, a couple coils, and engine oil. I've also had the transmission fluid/filter changed...though that has recently developed a small leak over the last 100 miles or so. Aside from the small trans fluid leak, I think another coil is bad but not sure yet as I put the car up for the winter and plan on getting it looked at in Feb or early March.

Exterior is Silver and probably an 8/10 with no rust but a couple small dings/blemishes. The interior is charcoal and probably a solid 9 with some loose stitching on the steering wheel being the main issue. It has navigation but I've never used it because its slow and my iPhone is much faster.

I have lots of money into it that I don't expect to get back but simply want to figure out a fair asking price. Any recommendations?

Old 01-05-2017, 03:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,399 Likes on 2,871 Posts

Price it out on Kelley Blue Book, NADA, and other automotive sites. The value depends upon a number of variables including where you live (you'll be asked for your zip code as part of the calculation). Unfortunately there is very little demand for our S-Types although STRs may be a bit more lucrative to sell. My guess (and it is only a guess) is that your car will wind up in the $3,500-to-$4,000 range as a private sale vehicle. As a trade-in vehicle you'll be fortunate to be offered $2,000 to $2,500 so do not go that route....

Good luck whatever you decide to do....

Old 01-05-2017, 04:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,559 Likes on 3,964 Posts

Try to make it visible to the few who actually know what an STR is.

Otherwise it's "an unreliable foreign car".

Good luck. (I'd keep it.)

Old 01-10-2017, 02:57 PM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah, KBB figures are low compared to most asking prices that I see , which seem to range from $7k up to about $14k. I'm hoping actual sales transaction figures are probably in the middle someplace. I am guessing $4-5k range on the low end for a high mileage/wear running car up to maybe $11k for a very clean example with lower miles.

I have too many cars and am getting a new car for work so this one must go. I plan on officially putting it up for sale in March once I get a chance to fix the (assumed) coil. If anyone might be interested in it please let me know and I will make sure to reach out when its up for sale. Its located in Western Pennsylvania near Pittsburgh.