S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Satellite Radio

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 02:06 AM
Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Satellite Radio

What up gents, ladies, been idle for a while, nice to see all the new members on here. I'm currently visiting Boulder, Colorado and some relatives, love this place. Anyways, I have a 2010 Jeep Commander I have been renting which has Sirius Sat radio. I forgot how much I missed this, and how much better it is than listening to the same ole' CD's or crappy radio stations with loads of commercials.

Has anyone, recently, come up with a good solution with Sat radio? For those who don't know i have an 05 with Nav. Do I need to buy a seperate reciever, and unit or can I use my stock reciever?

I have NO clue how this works, and would appreciate some new opinions on the topic and ideas on the most cost efficient, easiest implementation possible.

Thanks

Old 06-22-2010, 06:12 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Hey Bull! Nice to hear from ya! So, I've had many Sat. radios since my 98 Jeep.. With your car you're kind of limited to what you can get. There isn't an option that will let you control the radio with the factory head unit. So, you have a couple of options short of switching over the factory unit. You could get one of the portable units that almost look like an MP3 player or one of the add on, dash mount, tuners. Both of those play through the FM by broadcasting a signal. Another way is to find the Jaguar accessory Sat Radio option.. It too is an add on tuner that fits into the space used by the ashtray. It has an FM modulator that goes in-line on the antenna wire. I happened to find one back when I got my car for $50 on E-Bay. It was pretty easy to install and actually sounds pretty good...You could also have an aux audio port added to the factory stereo (think Audio Connectivity Module) and then play one of the stand alone tuner's audio through the jack instead of the FM..

Since the late 90's I've had Satellite Radio (stints with both Sirius and XM) and will never go back..Have had loaners for a while now and really miss my Sirius....

Old 06-22-2010, 06:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,527 Likes on 3,937 Posts

I really don't know what Sat radio is LOL but the Sirius was an S-Type option, I think.

Old 06-22-2010, 06:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,702 Likes on 1,211 Posts

Hey Bull, Jeff pretty much sumed it up. But I was thinking about you and had been wondering if that baby arrived and you were out shopping for that minivan with curb feelers.

Old 06-22-2010, 01:31 PM
Veteran member

Here is a picture of the Jaguar Sirius Radio

The receiver kit is part number C2C 31222 and the install kit (trim parts) is XR8 54310.

Old 06-22-2010, 07:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 506 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by JOsworth

The receiver kit is part number C2C 31222 and the install kit (trim parts) is XR8 54310.
You sir just made my day... You can order the trim piece without all the electronics??

I've been thinking of doing something with that space... But a factory jag piece that I could mount what I want to would be ideal... Who's thinking gauge kits for their STR's?

George

Old 06-23-2010, 02:14 AM

Jeff, great info as always, much appreciated amigo! Now the easiest way is to probably get that portable unit and play through FM radio. I am EXTREMELY skeptical about this. I have had a Monster Cable transmitter for my IPOD that does the same thing, and is hit or miss for sure. Keep having to screw around with different stations if you are travelling, and sometimes the main FM station you keep it on is magically blurry and staticy as hell one day when it was crystal clear the next.

Anyone have experience with these? Maybe the Sirius units have more of a powerful FM transmitter that will just take over a station and will be clear??? That ashtray unit is a GREAT FIND though, I use the that thing for my cell phone, sometimes, and thats it. Usually it is just a waste of space. Ill keep an eye out of I can grab one off of ebay.com or ebay.uk. I'm definately not good with electronices so i would probably have the dealer just throw it in for me, agreed?

Rick, the baby GIRL is due October 17th. Since the last time i posted we have a) found out it is a girl, and b) had a 3D ultrasound, absolutely amazing. Oh, and we are naming her Graciela or Gracie for short. The Jag IS in fact staying in the stable and I was actually out today picking out some car seats that would match the interior (and of course safe ) as well as a seat protector to put under the car seat. The wife's Saab is what we will be getting rid of, rented the Jeep Commander for a week in CO, and it was ok, the 3.7 is way to underpowered for a vehicle that size, but was thinking about maybe a V8 model or one of those 4 door Wranglers. Was even thinking about a Toyota Highlander, who knows, I have about a billion and one things going on in my head right now, just got back from the airport and am beat...

Old 06-23-2010, 06:07 AM
Veteran member

Great I could help. I have actually had experience with a bunch of different Satellite tuners except for the handheld units. The FM issue you talk about was the same with the Sirius unit I had that was like that. It was originally installed in the Silver Accord that I had. In fact, I just helped a guy I work with locate an in-line FM modulator for his. The in-line FM modulator works pretty good. It basically goes in-line on the antenna lead and will "replace" the signal with what is coming out of the radio. In my Accord I ordered a PIE aux input adapter and played the Sirius unit through the newly created AUX input. Based on my experience, the FM modulator provides more than adequate sound quality making the expense of adding the AUX input not worth it. If I were to be using multiple audio sources I would spring for the Audio Connectivity Module that has the USB and AUX port built in.
Another thing that I have observed, but is more local in nature, is that XM seems to have a better system of repeaters than Sirius. While both will break or pause with overpasses and such, Sirius is also influenced by tree cover and other barriers. I get many more dropped signals with Sirius than I did with XM. Again, that has been with different receivers. There are some antenna options that I may try.
If you were to install the "factory" add on tuner it should only take you a couple of hours and could be done with only a few hand tools. To sum it up shortly: You pull the center stack and shifter bezel to install the controller unit and FM modulator. You then pull the trunk liner to mount the receiver. Then the magnetic antenna wire is run around the window seal into the trunk receiver. You will also need to pull the door sill trim to run the wires from the front to back. The "factory" unit just simply plugs in so it is actually really easy to do. I have the install instructions as a PDF, so I could post those if you want. So, if I were to get an add on tuner right now I would probably get this one.... http://www.crutchfield.com/p_220XDNX...=3&tp=85&avf=N

There are more expensive ones. I had a Starmate 5 Sirius tuner and never used the memory playback or anything else. To be honest I only got the Jaguar add on unit because I was able to find one for $50.

Sorry if I've been a bit winded, but this is one of the few things I actually have had a lot of experience with. Like I said, I've had Satellite Radio since the late 90's when I got one of the early Pioneer tuners with the big brick antenna for the roof...

Wow, really excited for you guys...A little girl on the way! Can't wait to hear more..Seem to be a trend, Huh?? I had a little girl, then Rick, now you...Oh boy!

Old 06-23-2010, 06:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,356 Likes on 2,849 Posts

Bull,

Don't have satellite radio so I can't add any words of wisdom to that subject, but I do want to offer my congrats and best wishes for your daughter. Get plenty of sleep while you can....

If you're leaning towards the Jeep family as your wife's new vehicle, be sure to include the Grand Cherokee in the mix. We've had several of them in our family dating back to 1997 and they've all been bulletproof and easy for me to maintain. The best one was a 5.2-litre V8 with all-wheel-drive that was my wife's primary vehicle for more than six years. That SUV was great in any weather situation you could throw at it and would thrive in your Boston winters. She put more than 130,000 miles on that puppy before I finally sold it and the most costly repair I ever had to do to it was to replace the alternator. Engine and drivetrain were truly world-class....

Old 06-23-2010, 07:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,702 Likes on 1,211 Posts

Bull, that is GREAT! We had 2 different 3D's 1 on our 23 month (girl) and then the new improved on the latest (7 week old girl) and WOW what a huge difference. It is a way cool thing to see your baby in the womb almost as if you are holding her.

As far a new vehicle, research the safety reviews! You did not mention if you are thinking about a "previously" enjoyed ride, if so I would NOT recommend anything built before Sept. 2002. Simple reason NHTSA (National Highway Traffic Saftey Association) required all US vehicles to have the "latch system" for saftey seats. Which leads me to say not all car saftey seats are equal. The color of the seat cover is unimportant, what it covers IS!! I personally have 3 safety seats, 2-pink in color and 1-zebra in my vehicle (not the Jag) which do not compliment my interior at all, but the seats themselves are the safest in the industry (Britax brand).

Getting back to S Type subject material (ahem), be sure that the safety seat you do pick, fits both or all of your vehicles. The S Type "latch anchor points" located in the rear seats are located alittle high in the slits, making a real pain to get "some" seats latched. Also good luck with the tether covers on the parcel shelf!

Good to hear from you again!

Last edited by joycesjag; 06-23-2010 at 07:13 AM.
Old 06-24-2010, 08:42 AM

Great I could help. I have actually had experience with a bunch of different Satellite tuners except for the handheld units. The FM issue you talk about was the same with the Sirius unit I had that was like that. It was originally installed in the Silver Accord that I had. In fact, I just helped a guy I work with locate an in-line FM modulator for his. The in-line FM modulator works pretty good. It basically goes in-line on the antenna lead and will "replace" the signal with what is coming out of the radio. In my Accord I ordered a PIE aux input adapter and played the Sirius unit through the newly created AUX input. Based on my experience, the FM modulator provides more than adequate sound quality making the expense of adding the AUX input not worth it. If I were to be using multiple audio sources I would spring for the Audio Connectivity Module that has the USB and AUX port built in.
Another thing that I have observed, but is more local in nature, is that XM seems to have a better system of repeaters than Sirius. While both will break or pause with overpasses and such, Sirius is also influenced by tree cover and other barriers. I get many more dropped signals with Sirius than I did with XM. Again, that has been with different receivers. There are some antenna options that I may try.
If you were to install the "factory" add on tuner it should only take you a couple of hours and could be done with only a few hand tools. To sum it up shortly: You pull the center stack and shifter bezel to install the controller unit and FM modulator. You then pull the trunk liner to mount the receiver. Then the magnetic antenna wire is run around the window seal into the trunk receiver. You will also need to pull the door sill trim to run the wires from the front to back. The "factory" unit just simply plugs in so it is actually really easy to do. I have the install instructions as a PDF, so I could post those if you want. So, if I were to get an add on tuner right now I would probably get this one.... http://www.crutchfield.com/p_220XDNX...=3&tp=85&avf=N

There are more expensive ones. I had a Starmate 5 Sirius tuner and never used the memory playback or anything else. To be honest I only got the Jaguar add on unit because I was able to find one for $50.

Sorry if I've been a bit winded, but this is one of the few things I actually have had a lot of experience with. Like I said, I've had Satellite Radio since the late 90's when I got one of the early Pioneer tuners with the big brick antenna for the roof...

Wow, really excited for you guys...A little girl on the way! Can't wait to hear more..Seem to be a trend, Huh?? I had a little girl, then Rick, now you...Oh boy!

Hey Jeff, I see that it says "free installation", obviously there will be additional costs, what do you think they would run? With a unit such as that XM one you provided the link for, I am assuming it can be used in multiple vehicles seeing as it says it comes with a "docking station", so I would just buy another one for the other vehicle. Excuse my ignorance but whay are they talking about with a "roof mounted antenna"? I would assume they would do the "in-line modulator" install on this? Now if this is the case i am gathering from your post that it takes the place of the regular FM radio?? So many units, options, ideas, kinda overwhelming.

Jon: I have heard the "get sleep while you can" suggestion from almost every dad I know! Haha, well I for one love my sleep and need 10 hrs a night, I am going to be a miserable pr*ck being sleep deprived. I was kinda leaning away from the Grand Cherokee, I had a 2000, and loved it. However, I just do not like the looks of the new ones at all for some reason. I always thought those 4 door Wranglers looked pretty cool, will have to test drive one to see what kind of room there is, and if its enough for the baby and not having to squeeze and struggle getting her in and out. Looking for a mid-size SUV, not sure if those are considered small or midsized though.

Rick, 7 week old!! Wow man congrats! Will definately be going used, and I have spent a total of 5 hrs in Target the past few days picking out car seats, strollers, monitors, socks, hats etc etc etc etc etc. The wife has me down for going to Babys R Us as well, i guess their selection is even bigger, yay!!! I believe the car seat we registered for is this one, http://www.target.com/Safety-1st-Com...or-bin%2Cprice

Im sure we will end up changing it, but it seemed like the best one they had in the store.

Old 06-24-2010, 12:04 PM
Veteran member

First the most important: Do you have a membership to BJ's? Trust me, you will save a bundle on diapers and formula alone. More than enough to justify the 40/45 bucks a year to join. So, here is the same seat for sale at BJ's.
http://shop.bjs.com/-189-99-less--30...VVviewprod.htm

About the Satellite Radio. They are really easy enough to install that I would say it could be something you could knock out in an hour or two. If you do want a shop to install it, I would think it would cost no more than 75 to 100. The best analogy I have with Sat. Radio would be Satellite TV. You need a special antenna and receiver to get the programming, along with a subscription. So, the XM/Sirius unit does not replace your FM, it just plays over it. The add on radio sends the playback through either FM or an Aux. cord like a MP3 player. You need a roof mounted antenna to pick up the satellite signal. If you don't want the little button antenna on your roof, I have seen people install them on the dash or rear deck. I personally have always put them on the roof. It is my understanding that you get the strongest signal that way. If you want to avoid any kind of install, look into a handheld unit. Here is one... http://www.amazon.com/Stiletto-Porta...398603&sr=1-13

These units are more money but also contain many more features. Back to the example I gave you before. If you do get one of those all you would have to do is get another "car kit" for it, install an antenna and the cradle then just move the radio unit from one car to another.

Oh BTW, have you seen the new 2011 Grand Cherokee? Real Nice! Due out in showrooms by the end of summer.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...review/gallery

Old 06-24-2010, 04:20 PM

First the most important: Do you have a membership to BJ's? Trust me, you will save a bundle on diapers and formula alone. More than enough to justify the 40/45 bucks a year to join. So, here is the same seat for sale at BJ's.
http://shop.bjs.com/-189-99-less--30...VVviewprod.htm

About the Satellite Radio. They are really easy enough to install that I would say it could be something you could knock out in an hour or two. If you do want a shop to install it, I would think it would cost no more than 75 to 100. The best analogy I have with Sat. Radio would be Satellite TV. You need a special antenna and receiver to get the programming, along with a subscription. So, the XM/Sirius unit does not replace your FM, it just plays over it. The add on radio sends the playback through either FM or an Aux. cord like a MP3 player. You need a roof mounted antenna to pick up the satellite signal. If you don't want the little button antenna on your roof, I have seen people install them on the dash or rear deck. I personally have always put them on the roof. It is my understanding that you get the strongest signal that way. If you want to avoid any kind of install, look into a handheld unit. Here is one... http://www.amazon.com/Stiletto-Porta...398603&sr=1-13

These units are more money but also contain many more features. Back to the example I gave you before. If you do get one of those all you would have to do is get another "car kit" for it, install an antenna and the cradle then just move the radio unit from one car to another.

Oh BTW, have you seen the new 2011 Grand Cherokee? Real Nice! Due out in showrooms by the end of summer.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...review/gallery

Ok I'm getting there I promise. So this one, http://www.amazon.com/Stiletto-Porta...398603&sr=1-13 , would play over the radio, no need for installation of an antenna or docking station? Would these be one of those gigs where I am scanning stations on my FM radio so this can play, such as a station like 89.7, 88.9 etc. possibly having static and clarity issues?

The other one, http://www.crutchfield.com/p_220XDNX...=3&tp=85&avf=N, would require an intenna put into both vehicle and 2 docking stations? Now would these docking stations be hardwired into my head unit, or would also play through an "unused" FM station such as the ones listed above also having to scan for the best station, and potential static and clarity problems? Also do both require a lighter outlet for power?

Are you annoyed at all my questions yet???

Oh one funny thing just happened, just got an oil change at Jiffy lube, yes i know, almost opted for the Pennzoil Ultra but got the Pennzoil Platinum full syn (about $20 cheaper). The freaking guy left my hood up and I started driving down a 55mph route and I noticed the hood moving up and down, so i had to pull over on a make shift breakdown lane with cars whizzing by me at 65mph. Went back over there and gave them an earful, unreal.

Old 06-24-2010, 05:33 PM
Veteran member

No, I'm not getting frustrated at all. When I really have experience I enjoy sharing and trying to help out...

So, the two we are talking about are the hand held units and what is called a "Dock and Play" radio.

With the hand held it works like an iPod. So, you would have to get a cradle with an FM transmitter for the car but no external antenna. I haven't used one of those but did look at the car kit for one and saw that it came with an antenna. That would lead me to believe that it didn't work real well in the car..(That's why I've never bought one.)
The Dock and Play unit will have a built in FM transmitter. Some have had decent luck with it. Me personally have heard of issues with static and such. That is why I suggest that you get either an Audio In Aux adapter or a hard wire FM modulator. I've had both set ups and don't think that the sound is all that better on the Aux adapter than it is with the FM Modulator. The FM modulator is fairly cheap and real easy to install. Here is a picture of what comes in the XM Dock and Play that I showed you.

For the power, I've always set up an internal cigarette lighter socket up in the dash and plugged it in that way. The cord runs up to the cradle. (man I wish I had pictures of the one I installed in the Honda!) So, If you get a second car kit with the Dock and Play and just install it the same way you will then be able to move the radio from one car to another. So, in a nutshell, they both sort of work on the unused FM theory but I too have seen and heard of static issues. The best way is to get one of these along with the radio (much like what the Jaguar add on unit has).

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-YsOfIT6...r.html?tp=1251

That one pictured is for when the Dock and Play radio has an FM out. They have others that use an Audio out as well. It would depend on the final choice of radio. I know I keep referencing Crutchfield, but I've used them since they were catalog only in the 80's and have always been fantastic.

Oh, and if you MUST go to a lube shop, see if you have any Valvoline quick lubes around you. They are much better just because they use two people to finish up and shout out a check list of stuff before they finish.. I think it helps.

Old 06-25-2010, 09:27 AM

I found a real good deal on one of these, http://signature.crutchfield.com/s_2...=3&tp=85&avf=N

Its the Sirius Sportster 5, and the reviews I have seen are really good and it is always ranked top 1 or 2. I am going to go to a car audio shop today in person, Boomer Mccloud's, to see if they have them so I can check it out in person. I also want to pick their brains a little bit.

Old 06-25-2010, 10:31 AM
Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

If I was doing this satellite conversion, I'd get one having the audio amplifier inbuilt, and wire it to the door speakers using a discrete changeover switch in each door, so you could easily change from analog to digital reception.
The trouble with remodulation onto a VHF carrier (88 to 108MHz.) is that you are introducing distortion and hiss, and downgrading the stereo using the Zenith-G.E. pilot tone system. There is also the likelihood of interference with local VHF/FM broadcasts in a random fashion. A most interesting thread.
Leedsman.

Old 06-25-2010, 11:16 AM
Veteran member

Originally Posted by Bull27
I found a real good deal on one of these, http://signature.crutchfield.com/s_2...=3&tp=85&avf=N

Its the Sirius Sportster 5, and the reviews I have seen are really good and it is always ranked top 1 or 2. I am going to go to a car audio shop today in person, Boomer Mccloud's, to see if they have them so I can check it out in person. I also want to pick their brains a little bit.
Very nice unit... When you talk to the shop, ask them if they have any feedback on reception. In Ohio I've noticed that XM was better than Sirius. I know they are one company now but they still operate on different frequencies. The big deal maker or breaker is how well they built the repeater structure in the area you use the radio the most. I get a lot more drops with Sirius than when I had XM. Hopefully the local shop will have information from local users. That said..Since the merger the XM units have moved to the same dock design as the Sirius hardware. In the past when they were separate the Sirius tuners were always more money but better equipment as well. Also, see what they say about the inline FM modulator or aux input vs. the built in FM transmitter. Anyway you slice it, I hope you end up enjoying the benefits of having Satellite Radio soon. Drove to work today with the contemporary / electronic Jazz station on..Nice...

Old 06-25-2010, 11:25 AM
Veteran member

Originally Posted by Leedsman
If I was doing this satellite conversion, I'd get one having the audio amplifier inbuilt, and wire it to the door speakers using a discrete changeover switch in each door, so you could easily change from analog to digital reception.
The trouble with remodulation onto a VHF carrier (88 to 108MHz.) is that you are introducing distortion and hiss, and downgrading the stereo using the Zenith-G.E. pilot tone system. There is also the likelihood of interference with local VHF/FM broadcasts in a random fashion. A most interesting thread.
Leedsman.
I think you are missing what Satellite Radio is. The audio out is not digital on any of the units. The incomming signal is a digital feed from satellites but the feed is translated to standard 'ol analog audio. The use of an internal FM transmitter has it's issues but when you use an inline FM Modulator it replaces the signal coming in to the car's FM with it's own signal. There is no interference. The satellite radio system in North America is not like Digital / HD broadcast radio. It is a subscription based feed. BTW I had the chance to test drive HD radio in the US with the new LR2 I had as a loaner..In my opinion it sucked...Lots of dropped signals and such. It may have been the hardware but I doubt it.

Old 06-25-2010, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by Leedsman
Leedsman.
Can I fly you from the UK to Boston for a proper install??? Sounds like you really know yourstuff, unfortunately I lack in that catagory so most of the post I cant understand. Can i request a synopsis in laymen's terms??? Do you think I will have problems with that Sirius Sportster 5 model.......Hissing, and static are unacceptable and I will throw the unit directly out the window if it is severe.

Jeff, I'll admit it, Coffee Shop is an outstanding, chill station. From the description of the unit and reviews I believe it has "inline FM modulator or aux input" capabilities. However for the aux input, i need to buy that Jag part and have it installed correct? The inline FM modulator, is that what you were talking about with tapping into the vehicles existing antenna, or am I off on that one?

Old 06-25-2010, 11:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 166 Likes on 134 Posts

Jeff,

That is a nice install. Can I get just the face plate and a dummy receiver to replace the ashtray so my wife can't smoke in the car?

By the way, someone is looking for a Madrona Bronze Veneer ashtray for an '06 S-Type. You might have yours available.

Mike

Quick Reply: Satellite Radio