Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Scotty Kilmer on the Jaguar S-type

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2020 | 02:18 PM
|
Veteran Member
Default Scotty Kilmer on the Jaguar S-type

(X-type owners, prepare to be offended...)

Old 09-27-2020 | 03:39 AM

To be quite honest, if Scotty Kilmer tells X car is great and Y car is a piece of trash and an endless money pit, I'd buy the Y car without looking twice. And this is coming from someone with an S-Type. The reason? Scotty is without a doubt the most misinformed, biased and backward thinking celebrity mechanic on YouTube.

Latest blatant example? The man makes a big part of his living on YouTube trashing BMW and "those damn computers and systems that come in those modern cars that are endless money pits and only an IDIOT would buy them", but THEN he gets the new Toyota Supra and suddenly the BMW engine, the modular platform, ZF transmission and all other parts stop from being over-engineered German/European crap to become very well made, amazing, reliable, very practical, useful and so on. The cherry on top is that he mentions the Toyota Supra is actually not German but Austrian because it is built at Magna Steyr just to distance himself from praising BMW. You couldn't make this stuff up.

I wouldn't trust him with my car to even change the oil.

Last edited by The_Portuguese; 09-27-2020 at 03:42 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by The_Portuguese:
eksjaysix (09-27-2020), NBCat (09-27-2020), pa9johns1 (10-05-2020)
Old 09-27-2020 | 04:44 PM

Thanks for posting this. It is interesting, but yes, Scotty Killmer remains a ******.

The following 3 users liked this post by eksjaysix:
jazzyjags (10-13-2020), NBCat (09-27-2020), The_Portuguese (09-27-2020)
Old 09-28-2020 | 08:50 AM
|
Veteran Member

I am pretty sure Scotty has a "Toyota" tattoo on one of his butt cheeks; his bias is pretty clear. I was just very surprised to see him actually say something nice about an English car. I am pretty sure that with the number of subscribers on his YouTube channel, and the number of videos out there, Scotty is "wanking" his way the the bank... [Even with YouTube's restructured (meaning reduced) payment structure.]

The following 3 users liked this post by S-Type Owner:
Catfan01 (10-03-2020), eksjaysix (09-28-2020), The_Portuguese (09-28-2020)
Old 09-28-2020 | 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by S-Type Owner
I am pretty sure Scotty has a "Toyota" tattoo on one of his butt cheeks; his bias is pretty clear. I was just very surprised to see him actually say something nice about an English car. I am pretty sure that with the number of subscribers on his YouTube channel, and the number of videos out there, Scotty is "wanking" his way the the bank... [Even with YouTube's restructured (meaning reduced) payment structure.]
Yes, I was reluctant to even open the video because I don't want to give him any advertising money. Scotty does have some interesting points occasionally, but he tries to pretend he is expert at all things car-related. And granted, Toyota does make excellent vehicles, but that's just one part of the equation.

My experiences with new / later model cars is that if they are properly maintained, there generally aren't any issues, especially at 33,000 miles like this one. Give me the properly maintained Jaguar over the Toyota with ignored maintenance any day.

Incidentally, I wonder if Scotty has some sort of neurological disorder because I can't help but notice his constant jerking movements, or if that is a side-effect of his wanking. God bless him, but he is such a "weenie".

The following 2 users liked this post by eksjaysix:
NBCat (09-28-2020), The_Portuguese (09-28-2020)
Old 09-28-2020 | 12:42 PM
Veteran Member

Years are years on rubber and plastic....he obviously has no real hands on experience with these cars....really get tired of him saying remade ford to jaguar....my str has 160,000 miles and looks as good as that car, so proper maintenence is number one for any make in my opinion.....hope he has to diagnose a lean code on that car and come to the forum for help

The following 2 users liked this post by scottjh9:
eksjaysix (09-28-2020), The_Portuguese (09-28-2020)
Old 09-28-2020 | 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by scottjh9
Years are years on rubber and plastic....he obviously has no real hands on experience with these cars....really get tired of him saying remade ford to jaguar....my str has 160,000 miles and looks as good as that car, so proper maintenence is number one for any make in my opinion.....hope he has to diagnose a lean code on that car and come to the forum for help
I guess for him, the continuous reference to "Ford" are a complement. He makes such sweeping generalizations on everything, he is useless. And while we're on the subject youtube know-it-all mechanics, I find "Mr. Wizard" even more annoying, if that is possible. First of all, the name "Mr. Wizard" was Don Herbert, the educator from ye olden days of the Seventies and Eighties. Secondly, I find him smug, and his "Don't buy this; buy this" irritating too. His Jaguar video in this series was appalling inaccurate with model details to the point if he cannot identify the models correctly, how can he possibly recommend which ones are "reliable" and which ones "aren't".

The following users liked this post:
The_Portuguese (09-28-2020)
Old 09-28-2020 | 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by eksjaysix
(...)He makes such sweeping generalizations on everything (...)
If you buy X car you are AN IDIOT. Fact. No nuances needed.

Old 10-03-2020 | 07:09 PM

I like Kilmer. I saw the piece about s-types. Half the parts on my Jag have Ford stamped on them, even the body floor plan. Ford did not help Jaguar at all. They cheapened important parts and never got the horrid electrical system straightened out they inherited from Jaguar. On the other hand, Ta Ta has done much better with quality control.

eksjaysix (10-03-2020)
Old 10-03-2020 | 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by davidladewig
I like Kilmer. I saw the piece about s-types. Half the parts on my Jag have Ford stamped on them, even the body floor plan. Ford did not help Jaguar at all. They cheapened important parts and never got the horrid electrical system straightened out they inherited from Jaguar. On the other hand, Ta Ta has done much better with quality control.
As you own one, I bow to your superior knowledge on this matter. I have a '93 XJ6 that I am very happy with, and I feel that Ford did improve the car by simplifying a few things and improving quality, but didn't have any participation in the original design to overly "Fordize" it. Yes, my perception with Tata Motors is that they have done a great job of cultivating Jaguar but not interfering. I really like what they have done, which was not an easy task changing the design language of the cars.

Old 10-03-2020 | 11:58 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by davidladewig
They cheapened important parts and never got the horrid electrical system straightened out they inherited from Jaguar. On the other hand, Ta Ta has done much better with quality control.
Fake news. Ford saw the potential and gave them the money to build their cars properly. The difference in the wiring harness in an 87 S3 and a 91 XJ40 is night and day.

Tata let them do their thing but clearly the talent has dried up and Jag is at rock bottom for reliability while also making cars that nobody wants.

Old 10-06-2020 | 01:46 AM

Ford brought a rather out-of-date company into the present. During Ford's ownership, reliability improved dramatically with their last cars like the XF X250, and the XK X150 being two of their most reliable models ever which compare very well with their German competitors.
Since then, cars have become even more stuffed with electronics and all manufacturers seem to be struggling with reliability of these areas. Jaguar's reliability stats. do seem to have been going the wrong way in the last few years.

I'm not sure Tata instigated the change in design language at Jaguar. It all really started one generation before with the X250, X150 and the X351. These were all born during Ford's ownership. I have no problem with Tata's stewardship but they actually bought a company that Ford had cultivated quite well but could not afford to keep. Tata benefited from a lot of this ground work.

S-Type Owner (10-06-2020)
Old 10-08-2020 | 06:21 PM

He just bought a Z32 300ZX. Having one of those cars, and him praising them, I know he's insane. Are they fast? Yes. Are they sexy? Oh yes. Are they worth putting in the money and effort? Sometimes lol