Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SDD Says my 06 STR does not have DSC

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2023 | 11:00 PM
|
Veteran Member
Default SDD Says my 06 STR does not have DSC

Ive read in multiple places that the '06 S type R comes standard with Dynamic Stability Control but when I when I go into SDD and look at the Session screen I have an ABS module but not a DSC module.I am not too concerned about that bc in the electrical in both the figure for the module locations and the figure for the Network Configuration, they only show one module by the antilock brake unit and its labeled as the dynamic stability control module (neither figure shows an ABS module).

and when im in SDD v131, under the Info tab where it gives a list of the Vehicle Specifications for my car, it has a line for Dynamic Strability Control but it says "Dynamic Stability Control not fitted". there is nothing about ABS in that "Vehicle Specification section.
Also as I play around in SDD, I do not recall ever seeing any that allows me to reconfigure a DSC module and there arent any options to add or modify or reconfigure a DSC module. In the Module list it only shows an ABS module.

So should there be both an ABS module and a DSC module or are they considered the same thing?

Along the same lines, Ive read that all S types have either the Electric Heated windshield and/or a Heated Windshield Wiper park area. In SDD, in the Vehicle Specification section it says "Electric Windshield Defrost not fitted" .in one place and in another place its says "Heated Wiper Park Area Not Fitted". should my car have one or the other or can an US car not have either?

Im pretty sure I have DSC. the module on the antilock brake unit looks like a DSC module so why doesnt anything come up in SDD that

Old 02-27-2023 | 07:02 AM
Veteran Member

If in the US you only got the heated wiper parking area standard in the STR's. You should be able to see the wires embedded in the glass where the wipers park.
A few did get the added cost heated windshield but that was an option across the S Type line and not limited to the R. Not sure if I would want it as the fine wires in the glass can be very annoying to some people but others simply don't see any of the wires.

Yes I have wondered about that too as my car has options that SDD says it does not have?

The following users liked this post:
Aarcuda (02-27-2023)
Old 02-27-2023 | 08:19 AM
|
Veteran Member

Ive read that cars with the electric heated windshield will have an extra button on the center dash console and mine definitely doesnt have it. I guess ill look for wires coming out from the trim around the windshield attached to the windshield. Ive looked before but never noticed anything obvious.

I believe my windshield had been replaced before I got the car so its possible a previous owner put in a windshield that has neither heater wires to save money. I believe I looked up windshields to see if they were available without heaters in either place and I kind of sort of remember they were. I will have to dig a little deeper. It hardly ever gets cold enough here in Little Rock to need a heated wiper park area but we do get some icy conditions here or there (and I have no need to drive when its like that because its crash central when we get ice on the roads here).

what do you see in SDD about DSC? Does it say you have DSC fitted or do you see the module in any of the tabs or recommended tasks?

here are some screenshots I took the other day.

Last edited by Aarcuda; 02-27-2023 at 08:31 AM.
Old 02-27-2023 | 09:32 AM
Veteran Member

I believe the ABS module does DSC as well, at least after some build date (2002.5MY?).

Aarcuda (02-27-2023)
Old 02-27-2023 | 09:42 AM
|
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JagV8
I believe the ABS module does DSC as well, at least after some build date (2002.5MY?).
thanks. Ill connect up SDD and see what I get when I configure the ABS module. Maybe theres something there about DSC.

right now I’m trying to get version 130 loaded up on a leather laptop. I just picked up once I get that up and running I’ll go out to the car and take a look

thanks

Old 02-27-2023 | 03:54 PM
Veteran Member

I get the same for my 06 str too. In that same info menu it says diagnostic platform as wds also. If you go to the sdd measurment function you will see that complete car is empty also. Strange. I know we have dsc because i have made it come on purposely. I have the same results with ver 130 to the current one

Aarcuda (02-27-2023)
Old 02-27-2023 | 10:00 PM
|
Veteran Member

I just spent the day loading up v130 to see if it would make a difference. I was just about to go try it when I saw your post. Oh well no rush now. But thanks for the verification

Old 02-28-2023 | 02:30 AM

What message do you get when you turn off the DSC/Traction control. I was under the impression that the confirmation messages are different. Also, I thought all 2002.5 onwards cars had DSC as standard. Even the series 1 cars had DSC from around end 2000/early 2001. Mine just missed out.

Old 03-03-2023 | 02:26 AM
|
Veteran Member

with the traction control turned off I get the light on the dash of the car running from two snakes and the message center says "DSC OFF"

After looking in various Jaguar docs, it seems they lump ABS and DSC together alot. So in SDD where I have the module identified as ABS, Im just going to assume its also DSC and ignore the entry that says "DSC not fitted"

Old 03-03-2023 | 03:50 AM
Veteran Member

Good move.

I think it probably should be worded No separate DSC fitted or some such. Even better ABS (includes DSC). It's old software, never was brilliantly worded. Was only meant for those who'd had training.

Aarcuda (03-04-2023)
Old 03-04-2023 | 09:35 AM
|
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JagV8
Good move.

I think it probably should be worded No separate DSC fitted or some such. Even better ABS (includes DSC). It's old software, never was brilliantly worded. Was only meant for those who'd had training.
SDD really has a lot of vagueness and poorly descriptive terms for many of the options and features, and I’ve noticed that if you select certain ones that your car doesn’t have it sometimes makes everything go haywire, but not to the point that you can’t go back in and correct it.

I’m wondering if picking the options that aren’t physically on my car is what was causing my difficulty in programming, the general electronics module, or also known as the front electronics module. I spent four hours yesterday trying to get that to program and SDD kept saying that they could not communicate, although Throughout the night, it would interrogate that module and show me the contents on the module identification screen but when it came time to program it, it kept saying communication fault. I ended up ripping apart underneath kick panels by drivers feet by the driver side door, removing all the connectors and removing the module, and opening the module up to see if there was a problem with it, which there wasn’t. Also taking off the side, panel to the instrument panel, and taking all those connectors off and looking for damage, pins or corrosion, and I made a bunch of continuity measurements for the SCP bus and everything looked fine, so I put it back together ,

then it programmed fine. But i didnt find any problems. so you tell me what’s going on I was expecting to find a broken wire, but there weren’t any. I did make sure that all the SCP and 10 bus lines were twisted as much as they could be twisted up to the point of the connector. It’s possible that an inch or two of straight and twisted bus lines allowed some noise to get on the bus, which prevented the module from communicating. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it but to tell you the truth I don’t know how it started working correctly after I took everything apart and put it all back together but I know that it’s happened a couple of times.

Old 03-04-2023 | 09:36 AM
|
Veteran Member

Some pics

Last edited by Aarcuda; 03-04-2023 at 09:39 AM.
Old 03-04-2023 | 12:37 PM
Veteran Member

SDD 130 is a broken POS there’s a reason they all revert to legacy in later version. it’s trying to talk to an original s-type that had optional dsc

give me your vin

Aarcuda (03-08-2023)
Old 03-08-2023 | 12:42 PM
|
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by xalty
SDD 130 is a broken POS there’s a reason they all revert to legacy in later version. it’s trying to talk to an original s-type that had optional dsc

give me your vin
lol. Thats why i use v131. I just tried V130 but it gave me nothing but problems so its gone!

but my vin is SAJWA03C861N54100 (btw. if you could find out why it was delivered and then almost immediately got issued a salvage title id be eternally grateful!!)

Old 03-08-2023 | 12:52 PM
|
Veteran Member

Oh and an update on the communication fault that I was having. I did a deep dive under the driver side dash and the kick pedal and i removed all the connectors from the front electronics module, as well as all the connectors, going into the side of the dash by the left side drivers door that are behind that plastic cover on the side of the dash. and I inspected every single connector and every single wire. I even took the front electronics module covers off to look for broken or burnt components but I couldn’t find a single freaking thing wrong.

Well, that’s not necessarily true. I did seem to have my SCP plus wires with a little bit too long of untwisted sections as it went into the connectors. The bus wires are made of solid copper, and they are twisted pairs that have to have a specific twist ratio per length of wire and that’s so that they will cancel out noise which could cause communication faults. I owned out the lines from the entertainment module to the DTC connector, and also to the instrument, panel connectors, and everything seem to have continuity,

After not finding any broken wires or any corrosion or bent pins, burnt components etc. I spent some time putting some extra twists in those bus wires so that I got the twists closer to the connector with the hope of eliminating any potential noise getting on those lines, potentially causing communication faults.

and when you know it when I put the module back in and connected everything back up, I passed it module programming stage where I would normally get the communication fault and it program successfully.

so was it the twisting I did fid i get lucky? do I have a broken wire that seems to be touching againnow and making contact? Who knows

Old 03-08-2023 | 07:16 PM
Veteran Member

DSC module are all marked as not fitted from as-built info on x204 and later, i think it says abs on the global dtc menu now that i remember.

doesn’t correctly tell if cars that have quickclear windshields. i’ll read actual vid config from the vehicle when i can but will probably be same.

you’ll see terminology errors all over the place on the later s-type, the worst offender is when they call the ecm a pcm 🤮

Last edited by xalty; 03-08-2023 at 07:39 PM.
Aarcuda (03-11-2023)
Old 03-11-2023 | 04:47 PM
|
Veteran Member

Yes the main SDD module chart lists ABS module but not DSC. And I actually took off the trim panel for the A pillar on the passenger side and I see a black connector hust tied up in the harness not connected. and shouldnt there be an air bag behind that trim panel on the trim piece on the pillar? Theres an air bag emblem on the pillar but I don’t see an airbag.

Old 03-12-2023 | 11:22 AM
Veteran Member

Yes the "A" pillars contain airbags and they are attached to the metal portion of the car and pillar covers just clip over that. One bit to watch for is these covers are "tethered" to the car so when the "A" pillar air bag goes off the pillar cover is not blown into your face! The cover will just hang in the air after the air bag has gone off. So you should have run into a clip with a short bit of cable on it that you either could not remove or you destroyed the clip removing it. Which is course what I did when taking the "A" pillar covers off!

The trick is the top clip MUST be slid up BEFORE you pry the clip free. The top mounting slot is much longer and tapered so it's larger at the top than the bottom. You clip it in at the top in the wider portion of the slot. Now it will slide in that slot and you can push that top clip down and into alignment with the pillar cover. Sounds complicated and I had a time figuring it out but in the end it's pretty simple once you know how it works.

Now I can't see that retaining clip in your pictures so they may have been removed as well when they took out the airbag? Just a guess.
I had the clip part numbers too but I can't find them. Sorry about that!

Here is a decent picture of the back side of the A pillar and the retaining clip and the non-retaining clip. Note that you can replace the retaining clip with the non-retaining version.

So perhaps someone removed the air bag and replaced the retaining type clip with the regular trim clip?

Here is the side air bag that should be behind your pillar covers.

Since you have a 2006 and I had a 2005 STR Jaguar might have made some changes too? I see what I think are plastic clips on your cover?

Aarcuda (03-12-2023)
Old 03-12-2023 | 06:31 PM
|
Veteran Member

Yes, I see the tether.
it is still attached that’s why I don’t have a great picture of the back of those trim pieces. I had to photograph it while holding it next to the pillar. So yes, I have the tether. It’s still attached about the pillar and the trim piece, but no signs of an airbag at least on the passenger side, I haven’t looked at the driver side yet

by the way, thanks for a picture of the airbag set up. I was really scratching my head when it came apart and although I didn’t believe so I wondered if that tether was in some aspect the actual airbag, but my brain told me there’s no way somethings so thin could blow up to any usable size to protect you lol