S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

seat removal-any air bag danger?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2016, 01:10 PM
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Default seat removal-any air bag danger?

Two weeks ago I bought a 2000 Jaguar S type from a local car auction. The driver's seat will not move in any direction and it is too far forward for me to drive it comfortably.

So I am now ready to try and remove the seat so that I can get to the various modules, etc., that live under the seat [I am keeping my fingers crossed that there is a loose connection] but I am worried about setting off the air bags inadvertently. I have the battery disconnected but will probably have to re-connect it to check the system out.

I watched a video on Youtube and he did not disconnect the seat belt when he pulled the seat out of the car and set it on the ground beside the car. I think that might have had something to do with air bag fear.

Should I be worried?

Bob

p.s. I am also looking for any diagrams that show power flow from the battery to the relevant system, in this case the driver's seat. I do have some general schematics for the car but don't have anything that shows power flow.

p.p.s., if I ever get past the seat problem I will be looking for a 'leaper' which I understand is the insider's term for the hood ornament.

Old 08-26-2016, 06:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 595 Likes on 472 Posts

I'm not formilia with the 2000 s type . But I'm sure the module is in the drivers door .
There are many posts on this forum about broken ribbon wires under the seat .

As for the air bags there should not be any worry about setting them off with a seat removal ! Also leaving the seat belt connected is foolish as this will tell the car that there is an occupant to activate the air bag for !
Any way if you want to be on the super safe side just disconnect the battery and it will render ARS deactivated along with every thing else !
Many cars I have worked on in the past with faulty electric seats have a hex or two under the front of the seat to manually move the seat rails when they fail , as in most cases the seat will stop and cover the mounting bolts so you can't remove the seat untill you manually wind the seat to un cover the bolts , I haven't had to remove a jag seat yet so I would not no if this applies or not to the jag , but ill bet it does .

The following users liked this post:
muskox3437 (08-30-2016)
Old 08-29-2016, 03:38 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 2006 Jaguar S-TYPE.... I've taken the seats out completely restraints and all and I've taken them out you explained without removing belts.. had no problems with airbags. I don't think you'd be able the take off front screws to remove seat if it's position is all the way foward tho.

The following users liked this post:
muskox3437 (08-30-2016)
Old 08-29-2016, 04:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,703 Likes on 1,211 Posts

I have removed my 2 front seats as well without an issues. Listen to 06 above. I either had seat all the way forward and removed rear bolts or vise versa then moved seat to back (front) position to remove 2 remaining bolts. Discount wiring harness. You also have to remove the seat belt cover rearwards of the seat to remove the bolt that secures lap belt to seat. Careful with the plastic cover the tabs are very brittle!

Bobs yer' uncle.

Old 08-30-2016, 01:11 PM

Hi Rick,

I have managed to get one of the two front bolts out so far even with the seat extended to the front. I am a little puzzled by the rear plastic covers. They seem to be on very tight and I am always wary when dealing with old plastic. I take it they must pull directly back to expose the bolt and there will be some kind of clipping action when they are pushed into place. To your knowledge, is there a 'hex' somewhere that would allow manual movement of the seat? Just referring back to Andy, Datsport.

Old 08-30-2016, 01:13 PM

Hi Andy, i.e., Datsports,

Excuse my ignorance but I take that a 'hex' is a bolt head. Do I have that right?

Bob

Old 08-30-2016, 03:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,703 Likes on 1,211 Posts

Originally Posted by muskox3437
I am a little puzzled by the rear plastic covers. They seem to be on very tight
The back plastic covers slide rearward to remove and expose the seat anchor bolt. It helps to slide seat all the way forward. The side plastic cover that covers the seat belt bolt is the one you really need to be cautious with.

Old 08-30-2016, 06:37 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by muskox3437
Hi Andy, i.e., Datsports,

Excuse my ignorance but I take that a 'hex' is a bolt head. Do I have that right?

Bob
Yes that is right .
I will check mine this arvo to see if they exist . And let you know .

Old 08-30-2016, 10:16 PM
Veteran Member

ok there is one 10mm nut on each rail just behind the front two mounting bolts facing horizontally forwards , remove them .

and at te rear of the seat rail there are two t40 torx bolts mounting the rear of the threaded rod that the motors wind forward and backward on . just in front of the rear seat mounting bolts . if you can get to them then remove them , and the seat will slide back and forth freely .

Last edited by Datsports; 08-30-2016 at 10:19 PM.
Old 09-09-2016, 09:10 AM

Hi Andy,

Many thanks for the pictures and information. I did manage to extricate the seat with the help of a friend, a long extension, u joint, and my fingers holding the socket to the bolt. I did, however, manage to damage the front motor drive shaft plastic cover. I thought it was solid and metal and used it as a support for a prop that I had devised to hold the seat cushion up while I got my hand into the area where the front inside bolt was located. I think I can repair this adequately with a hose clamp however.

I discovered yesterday online that there is another fuse [21] that controls the seat function. I think it might be blown and have since bought another one [eight dollars at a local jobber!]. I will be trying this out today and will report back if I have any success.

Your input is much appreciated.

Bob

The following 2 users liked this post by muskox3437:
Datsports (09-09-2016), dbunt101 (05-30-2019)
Old 09-16-2016, 04:12 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The plastic rattle type sound is also accompanied by a little whistle-y type sound like a little bird chirp .. interior not exterior .. does this help at all lol? It's driving me insane !

Old 09-16-2016, 04:39 PM
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

There are a few cases when air bag can blow:
1.If you connect one of yellow connectors to a battery with jumper wires.
2.If air temperature goes to about 300F. (At this point you will not worry much about air bags)
3.If Sun blows up.
4. Moon falls on Earth
5.If you attach air bag to a grenade and pull ring.
6.You work close to active volcano and molten lava reaches air bag.

I was checking air bags with multi tester, they didn't blow. (I know, it is wrong, don't do that)

Last edited by car5car; 09-16-2016 at 04:42 PM.
Old 09-17-2016, 03:56 PM

Hello all,

I think that since I have everything directly in front of me in the workshop I will try to rig up some tests to see if I can get the motors to run. I have a schematic and have now bought a manual so it should be possible to run some tests to see where I am at. I strongly suspect the fuse but there could be a reason the fuse [21] blew. I got the online manual from JagDocs for a very reasonable price.