Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Select Edition warranty test...

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 09:23 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts
Default Select Edition warranty test...

So, I've discovered a common failure. My car has been trouble free since the regular warranty expired. So, I pulled the car out of the garage and noticed a small spot that was oily and red in color. Checked under the hood and noticed a bit of red fluid on the catch pan and a dried red residue on the DCCV. My thoughts, the DCCV has failed. So I'm going to call first thing Monday morning and make an appointment. So, I'll update on how my normally excellent dealer handles this and how well the Select Edition warranty works for a common issue.

Old 12-19-2009, 11:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,404 Likes on 2,876 Posts

Have you noticed any changes in the cabin climate when running the HVAC system such as warm spots in one area and cold spots in another? That seems to be the common complaint when the DCCV actually fails....

If your Select Edition warranty does not cover this common mechanical failure (if that indeed turns out to be your problem), that would be an issue well worth battling over in my opinion. I found the Select Edition warranty to be far too exclusive on what it won't cover vs. what it will cover. I remain glad that I didn't spring for it when I purchased our S-Type one year ago today....

Old 12-19-2009, 12:01 PM
Veteran member

I caught whatever is leaking early. There have been no climate control issues, no coolant warnings, and the coolant level is spot on. I would think the valve is still functioning just slightly leaking fluid. Now, if it is just a line I would bet that is not covered just like it technically wasn't covered when the power steering reservoir line was leaking. But in that case the dealer chose not to charge for fixing the line, again one of the reasons I like these guys so much. Minor stuff they just take care of. I feel it is the DCCV valve since there are no lines above it yet around the top is dried residue from coolant evaporating off and the pan below it is just moist with the red fluid. We'll see what happens on Monday.

Old 12-20-2009, 12:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

good luck man, i called my dealer yesterday for an estimate to reconfigure my lights, however none of them made it in......land rover guys did, but the Jag guys didnt....

Old 12-21-2009, 11:57 AM
Veteran member

So, here's the update....Called the dealer and left a message. The service manager called me back in about an hour or so. I explained to him what I saw. They are short on loaner cars so asked if I could bring it in on the 29th. Again, he asked, stating that he didn't have a car for me but if it was urgent just come in and they will look at it. I told him that I didn't think it was bad since I haven't seen a drop in coolant or high running temperature. I also said that it being coolant was a guess and it didn't look like the right spot to be trans fluid. I also sarcastically said that even if it was I don't know what the fluid looks like or how full the trans is since I can't check it. I mentioned that the car drove and shifted fine, well fine if you include the damn lurch. He said that while it was in they would try to clean that up with another programing. So he said to keep him posted if the leak gets worse and he said again that he was real sorry that the earliest appointment wasn't until next Tuesday. So far they are treating me with the same high level of courtesy and concern that they have all along.

Old 12-21-2009, 12:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,564 Likes on 3,968 Posts

Jeff - check he knows that they have to clear the adaptions before reflashing (remember that Land Rover ZF guide).

Old 12-21-2009, 01:04 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

A good service guy can mysteriously get things covered under select, it all depends on how it is written up. Sounds like you have a good one, and he'd be worth a little Christmas bonus, such as a bottle of wine or gift card.

Old 12-21-2009, 04:07 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

If it's a coolant leak, be very careful with animals around. They love the stuff and the least little bit is poisonous. Some coolants have an anti-animal ingredient to make it distasteful but I don't know that they all do yet.

Eric

Old 12-22-2009, 05:24 AM
Veteran member

jagv8-Thanks for reminding me, I forgot about that. When Mike offered to reprogram the trans I was only going to ask how it was different from the last time they did it. I'll mention the Land Rover thing since they are also a Land Rover shop...Heck, Mike himself just got a LR2 and was talking to me about them the last time I visited.
Toller-good point. I think the coolant they use has that additive but I'm not sure as well. It is a very small drip and the car spends all it's time in the garage where no one goes but me.
And finally H2O, I planned on picking up some donuts on the way in..... That is about the only thing the budget will allow...3 kids for Christmas tends to drain the wallet!

Old 12-22-2009, 10:46 AM
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by phd12volt
good luck man, i called my dealer yesterday for an estimate to reconfigure my lights, however none of them made it in......land rover guys did, but the Jag guys didnt....

Of course the Land Rover guys made it, the only time our trucks run right is in a snow storm

Old 12-22-2009, 11:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 166 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmyJag
Of course the Land Rover guys made it, the only time our trucks run right is in a snow storm

ArmyJag,

They also like mud and stream beds. An English friend of mine takes his "adventure touring" through some of the roughest terrain imaginable. One time he got it stuck in a five foot deep creek. He winched it out and drove it home, flinging bits of mud on the motorway. Of course he had to remove the carpeting to hose off the interior. By then he got the bright idea to make the carpeting removable for his off-road adventures.

Hope everything is going well with you in your tour. Thanks for your service.

Mike

Old 12-30-2009, 06:03 AM
Veteran member

So, here is the update. First of all, the little puddle didn't come back. In fact when I checked it again the belly pan had dried up. There was still the dried crusty red residue on the DCCV. So, I thought, oh boy here goes one of those "can't find it" issues.

I brought it in bright and early yesterday morning. Picked up a couple dozen donuts for the service guys. Pulled up and walked in since the drive in bay was full. Met up with Mike since the regular service advisers were out helping other people. Explained the above mentioned situation. After a little small talk he wrote me out for a LR2 loaner (loved it BTW, real nice driver for a small SUV). Told me don't worry about it and they would call me.
At 4pm they called me to pick up my car. Got there and they had it by the pick up bay all warmed up. Mike apologized for the wash system being down so they hadn't been able to was the car. Some more small talk and I was out and on my way home..

So, the repairs. They replaced the DCCV valve. They found that there was coolant seeping from the valve body itself. They cleared and reprogrammed the trans. Again, they offered to do that without me asking for it just based on my comment that the only thing I had to complain about was the damn lurch that these things seem to always have. The total bill for the diagnostic check and repairs...a big 'ol 0.

I guess my main point to all this is. If you've had a bad experience with a dealer, find another. If you don't go to the dealer, try it out. The Select Edition warranty seems good so far. I'm well aware that if a trim item fails or a suspension bushing is bad that is my dime. But I have every confidence that if any component fails or is failing they will take care of it.
Just remember...And BRUTAL states it time and again.... Don't walk into the dealer with a "I know it all and am right" attitude waiting for a confrontation. You know what, they are just people doing their jobs. Show respect for what they do. I bet that if they are a good dealership, they will work with you to ensure that they keep your business. Hey, Mike and his team at Jaguar Cleveland are growing their business knowing that customers like me will direct business their way. Also, when it comes time to replace the S, I will be in their showroom first.

Old 12-30-2009, 08:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,404 Likes on 2,876 Posts

Glad to hear you were properly taken care of. Sure wish our local dealership had the same "put the customer first" philosophy. We have several local friends who have gotten rid of their Jaguars in the past simply because of the way they were treated and/or gouged by the local dealer. They enjoyed their cars but decided they could no longer tolerate the shabby treatment. That kind of a reputation really gets around, although I did not learn this until after we purchased our S-Type last December....

I decided back in mid-October after my latest local dealership experience that I would try the dealership 70 miles away from us the next time I need dealer parts or service. I have spoken with them several times on the phone and they have always treated me with utmost respect. They realize that I will be driving in from another metropolitan area and are willing to do what is required to take care of us. Their parts prices and service prices are literally HALF of what our local dealership charges. You can bet that when I need them, it will be well worth it to make that drive to Greensboro....

Old 12-30-2009, 11:49 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

I knew you'd have a good experience, I just knew it.