S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Self Leveling headlight problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 09:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Self Leveling headlight problem

I have a 2005 Jaguar Stype. I have self leveling headlights. the problem i seem to have is the following: when i turn the lights on the headlights go through the leveling process. when complete the beam seems to be too low, only projecting about 12 feet. despite acceleration, deceleration etc no adjustments seem to occur...is there a way to adjust this or what could be the problem...thanks for the help

Old 02-05-2009, 10:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

Dealership.. They need to be reprogrammed, its a veryyy common problem with these cars. Try doing a search next time and you can save yourself a post. At least 3 dozen people have started this topic.. My cars actually doing this very thing as we speak, I'm just too lazy to take it in. Eric

Old 02-05-2009, 10:58 AM
Received 2,194 Likes on 1,360 Posts

Actually theyre broken inside, if you grab the electrical connector for the high beams after you remove the radiator cover, if they flop around theyre broken inside, if theyre firm and dont move theyre ok then you can go to have them program or checkto height sensors on the suspension making sure 1 didnt come unhooked. See my thread on fixing stype headlights if yours are broken

Old 02-05-2009, 11:07 AM
Default self leveling headlights

and if they are broken what does that entail...is it a pain, costly or what

Old 02-05-2009, 11:26 AM

and if they are broken what does that entail...is it a pain, costly or what

Old 02-05-2009, 11:44 AM

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=10745
NOTHING IF YOU HAVE THE RIGHT SIZE SCREWS, AND ABOUT 5 MINUTES

Old 02-05-2009, 12:41 PM
Veteran Member

Yeah, but he said that they are self leveling correctly just aimed wrong.. If they still self level isn't it just programming brutal?

Old 02-05-2009, 01:28 PM

Nope, they still have manual adjustment too and this is what breaks, see real tech response in his other post. And the jag i did that on where broken at the top, so after being screwed they still auto leveled on start up

Old 02-05-2009, 02:41 PM
Veteran Member

Wow thanks brutal!! lol I just realized that mine were wobbling around just like you said.. I guess now if I can figure out that DIY I'll be able to fix them myself.. On my other car when this happened I had to pull the bumper, yank the headlight, and heat the headlight assembly with a heat gun and peel it apart.. and I discovered that the adjuster had come off of its track, easy fix.. hopefully the Jag will be even easier.. Thanks, Eric

Old 02-05-2009, 04:54 PM

Eric, if yours are flopping they may be totally broke top and bottom, the screw trick will still work, but you use a much moger 1 to basically pin the inside to the back and hold it steady. or you can pull the light, put it in the over @250 for 10 minutes, this softens all the urethane so you can easily pull it apart are TRY to repair. Ive used structural epoxy on other assemblies like Xtype and XJ's it works great. for some reason I havent gotten good results on Stype, but thats ok the screw trick is cheap and fast and works great

Old 02-05-2009, 05:17 PM
Veteran Member

So is there a small piece of plastic protruding that you have to chop off in order to get to the hole where you screw the screw into? because that's what it looks like I have to do on mine? I can see the white whole, but its covered by part of the clear lens material.. Thanks for the help, Eric

Old 02-05-2009, 07:41 PM
Received 61 Likes on 13 Posts
Default white STRs headlamps

Even though you have auto leveling the headlamps still have manual adjusters to set the center position. You can follow this procedure if you aren't going to take it to the dealer. it really should be set with the IDS. Turn ignition on, this will auto level the lamps whether they are on or not. Turn headlamps on and adjust with manual adjusters, 6mm hex for both up/down and left/right. Broken manual adjusters are common on the S-type so if the lamps dont seem to move when the adjusters are turned re-post and someone will tell you how to modify your existing lamps to correct the problem which beats buying new lamps.
Of course a problem with the leveling is a possibility but that normally defaults the headlamps full down.

I transfered my post from the general section to here.

Brutal had posted some pictures of the procedure a few days ago but I'm not sure they made it through the site changes. You actually drill through the clear plastic portion to install the screw. Maybe brutal will repost the pictures if they got lost.

Old 02-05-2009, 08:55 PM

here Joe I linked it earlier....
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=10745
also witht he vbulletin, now you can click on the persons name to view public profile and go to find all threads or posts that person either started or posted if you know they did

Old 02-09-2009, 02:24 PM
Default diameter of screw

can someone tell me the diameter of the screw needed to fix the headlight

Old 02-09-2009, 03:55 PM

A repost from pm's, the length is more important than the size....for the screw..uh metal screw, minds from the blue side, we're talking cars here

Old 02-27-2009, 12:40 PM
Talking Self level headlights-You are the man Brutal

10 minutes two holes drilled, two screws and its fixed...thanks for the advice and from paying $2000 plus from the jaguar dealer. I stopped in afterwards and showed them the fix. Said thanks for trying to screw me by replacing them and walked out....what satisfaction. they stood there with dumbest look on their face..

Old 07-29-2010, 08:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 86 Likes on 61 Posts
Default need an update on what your outcome was......

Originally Posted by whiteSTR
So is there a small piece of plastic protruding that you have to chop off in order to get to the hole where you screw the screw into? because that's what it looks like I have to do on mine? I can see the white whole, but its covered by part of the clear lens material.. Thanks for the help, Eric
Hey bro, i have a 03' STR w/ the same problem with the headlights sagging downwards. Autolevelling is broken, and I wanted to know if you can give me some advice on how to fix the problem. I have that same protruding plastic thats in your way when trying to drill or screw in w/ the 1" screw. So my question is what exactly did you do? Remove the protrusion or drill beside it at an angle??

Please do let me know.....

thanks!

Old 07-29-2010, 09:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

Drill a small hole at an angle to the protrusion (actually a clear tube), not into it. Then screw in a 1 1/2" narrow sheet metal or wood screw at an angle into the center of the vertical doo-hickey you see within the leveling lens. When dark, turn on lights and screw in or out the screw as a means to set the height of the lamp egual to that of the opposite side.

Old 07-30-2010, 12:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 86 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by bfsgross
Drill a small hole at an angle to the protrusion (actually a clear tube), not into it. Then screw in a 1 1/2" narrow sheet metal or wood screw at an angle into the center of the vertical doo-hickey you see within the leveling lens. When dark, turn on lights and screw in or out the screw as a means to set the height of the lamp egual to that of the opposite side.
..Wowww....thanx for the suggestion, but I'm confused on which angle to start from as my starting point. I more or less follow what your saying, but is it possible you can show me a pic if you have already done it, like the final result of the 1 1/2" screw in the plastic? Seeing it would definitely be much more helpful. Thanks again for info.

Quick Reply: Self Leveling headlight problem