S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Self Leveling headlight problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 12:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

jag79, I believe I can help you with this. I was very confused too until I walked away from it and then came back determined to do it. Do you see the small clear tube directly in front of the self leveling device? You want to drill a self tapping 1 1/2" screw at an angle just next to but almost on the side of the tube but not into the tube. Be sure the screw is level and aimed at the hole at the center of the self-leveling device. Screw her into the hole just a small amount.

Old 07-30-2010, 11:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 86 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by bfsgross
jag79, I believe I can help you with this. I was very confused too until I walked away from it and then came back determined to do it. Do you see the small clear tube directly in front of the self leveling device? You want to drill a self tapping 1 1/2" screw at an angle just next to but almost on the side of the tube but not into the tube. Be sure the screw is level and aimed at the hole at the center of the self-leveling device. Screw her into the hole just a small amount.
Ahhh....bro could you please take a pic of it if its not too much to ask for?(The pic would help me out sooooo much
I really appreciate you helping me out on this, So let me get this straight I drill a small hole not right into the protruding plastic but beside it but I'm going to go into the chrome colored object dead center of it(which is the self leveling device; right?) I hope I said that correctly. And you are saying dont go all the way in with the 1 1/2" thread of the stainless steel screw?

Old 07-30-2010, 12:14 PM
Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by jag79
Ahhh....bro could you please take a pic of it if its not too much to ask for?(The pic would help me out sooooo much
I really appreciate you helping me out on this, So let me get this straight I drill a small hole not right into the protruding plastic but beside it but I'm going to go into the chrome colored object dead center of it(which is the self leveling device; right?) I hope I said that correctly. And you are saying dont go all the way in with the 1 1/2" thread of the stainless steel screw?
The photos with Brutal's original post are quite good.
Take a look.

Old 07-30-2010, 01:30 PM
Veteran Member

jag79, you wrote it just right, now do it. You then will use the screw as the adjuster to aim light up or down.

Old 07-30-2010, 06:18 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by MyBlackCat
The photos with Brutal's original post are quite good.
Take a look.
yeah but Brutuls wasn't done on a STR, b/c the STR has that dam plastic protruding plastic in the way,lolzzz

Last edited by jag79; 07-30-2010 at 06:21 PM.
Old 07-30-2010, 06:20 PM
Veteran Member

jag79, you wrote it just right, now do it. You then will use the screw as the adjuster to aim light up or down.
arrghhhhh..... alrite Im gonna give it a shot and I'll tell you what the outcome was,lolz...man I dont wanna F.ooooooook it up!
Thanks again amigo!

Old 07-30-2010, 08:19 PM
Veteran Member

jag79, just screw in a 1 1/2" sef tapping screw at an angle near side of clear plastic tube, into the hole of that thing you see in the middle of the lens. Simple as that...you can do it man!

Old 07-31-2010, 01:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,490 Likes on 1,951 Posts

If you want to manually adjust your headlights. Here is a picture of where the adjusters are. Be careful and understand that it is VERY easy to destroy these small plastic adjusters. And if the head lights are not moving when you turn the adjuster then STOP!!!

Attached Thumbnails Self Leveling headlight problem-headlight-adjustment-s-type.jpg  
Old 07-31-2010, 11:37 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by clubairth1
If you want to manually adjust your headlights. Here is a picture of where the adjusters are. Be careful and understand that it is VERY easy to destroy these small plastic adjusters. And if the head lights are not moving when you turn the adjuster then STOP!!!
Thanks man I remember seeing that pic you posted somewhere in the forums. I didnt get a chance yet to screw it in. I had my tint re-done in the back window. The person who had the car before me, double tinted lolz...and it was shriveled up in few areas, so I had to throw down the cash and get it re-done with limo % tint.
Gonna try it out tomorrow hopefully of adjusting the lights,

Old 08-02-2010, 07:23 PM
DTB
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd recommend that you do not use a self taping screw. Pre-drill a hole and use a screw with a flat end (nothing with a pointed end).
You want the screw to make contact and push the headlight up as you screw it in. If you grab the back of the headlight where the wiring harness is and wiggle, you can move see the whole assembly move up and down. Look into the front of the headlight and you can kinda see what is moving and get a feel for where the screw needs to go in order to prop the headlight up, it's much easier than trying to explain in words.

Old 08-04-2010, 07:25 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by clubairth1
..for the vertical adjustment, if I turn clockwise will it go downwards? and if anti-clockwise it will go up?(Problem is, my threads are worn out, whoever tried doing it before messed up the threads using a screwdriver so I have to be very careful when turning with a larger head screwdriver)
when I went for my oil change the Jag tech drilled a hole and put in the screw(he knew about this common problem and fix long before) so I just gave him a tip of $10, but still I notice them low, so I think they need to be adjusted from those two screws from your pic posted.

Old 08-06-2010, 07:46 AM
Veteran Member

..for the vertical adjustment, if I turn clockwise will it go downwards? and if anti-clockwise it will go up?(Problem is, my threads are worn out, whoever tried doing it before messed up the threads using a screwdriver so I have to be very careful when turning with a larger head screwdriver)
when I went for my oil change the Jag tech drilled a hole and put in the screw(he knew about this common problem and fix long before) so I just gave him a tip of $10, but still I notice them low, so I think they need to be adjusted from those two screws from your pic posted.
...Anyone can answer my question about the headlight adjustments???

Old 08-06-2010, 08:19 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

I think you can just turn the screw he installed, right? auto-leveling should still work?

Old 08-06-2010, 08:23 AM
Veteran Member

jag79, leave the factory headlight adjusters alone. To adjust vertical height screw in or out the screw that you screwed into the auto leveling device.

Old 08-06-2010, 10:45 AM
Veteran Member

jag79, leave the factory headlight adjusters alone. To adjust vertical height screw in or out the screw that you screwed into the auto leveling device.
...Problem is the light is still facing down, The screw is all the way in but not pierced through the plastic chrome looking thing. IF I screw more into it I'm afraid I'll pierce that plastic chrome thing, So thats why I was asking if I should adjust the Vertical height adjustor or not? What shall I do then??

thanks to all!

Old 08-06-2010, 11:26 AM
Received 2,194 Likes on 1,360 Posts

...Problem is the light is still facing down, The screw is all the way in but not pierced through the plastic chrome looking thing. IF I screw more into it I'm afraid I'll pierce that plastic chrome thing, So thats why I was asking if I should adjust the Vertical height adjustor or not? What shall I do then??

thanks to all!
problem may be 2 things
1) if more than the center upper post is broken inside the headlight which the screw is the repair for. the wholle inner assembly is still flopping around, youll need a new light
2) if the headlight self leveling module lost calibration it will default down. has to be recalibrated with ids at the dealer

Old 08-06-2010, 11:40 AM
Veteran Member

jag79, the screw must pierce through (but only a small distance) the chrome piece with a hole in it. You won't hurt it. It's ok. Then you screw in or out to raise or lower lamp.

Old 08-18-2010, 11:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default jaguar headlight assembly

I've been reading on hear about using a screw to adjust a bad headlight assembly. Will this work if they can't be manually adjusted and if the dealer is not able to recalibrate them? I've paid 1200.00 for one new assembly and now they are telling me both are bad again on my 2003 s type. Do you put the screw threw the plastic on the front of the light? yes I'm a blonde...and a little clueless...but hate to sink another 2500.00 into my head lights.

Old 08-19-2010, 05:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 220 Likes on 203 Posts

I sympathize with your predicament. I just had one replaced under warranty but I expect this will occur again out of warranty.

It's a confusing topic on here.

There are quite a number of very helpful people on here who have given tips and some photos in an attempt to show how to fix this. I've looked at them all. Maybe I'm stupid but I have as yet to find a comprehensive post that adequately shows where all the problems are with these units and exactly how to effect the repairs that can be done simply.

It sounds to me like you can't always do a quickie fix.

It's also still not clear to me that the quickie fix will leave you with headlamps that are able to pass a state inspection.

There is a Jag Tech on here called Brutal who I believe will repair these units by disassembling them. Try contacting him. I don't know if he can always fix them but if you contact him offline about getting them fixed maybe he can help you to determine if yours are even repairable.

It would be nice to have all of this summarized in one spot. I looked and didn't find it.

Good luck with your repair.

Bob S.

Old 08-20-2010, 12:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bob,

The fact that it is both of mine the same day makes me think there are other issues like a computer modular or relay switch. I talked to my son who does electrical in the navy, he says if I do the screw fix I better disconnect the motorized adjustment or I will have more problems. I have a call in to Jaguar Corp to see if I can change them out for the stationary lights and if they will comp them for all the trouble. Plus the Jag dealership also tried to low ball me and off me 3,000 for an 2003 s type. When they had a 2006 same model on the lot for 23,000.00 which added to the frustration.

Quick Reply: Self Leveling headlight problem