Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Self Leveling headlight problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 04:09 PM
Received 2,194 Likes on 1,360 Posts

Originally Posted by tlpressley1
Bob,

The fact that it is both of mine the same day makes me think there are other issues like a computer modular or relay switch. I talked to my son who does electrical in the navy, he says if I do the screw fix I better disconnect the motorized adjustment or I will have more problems. I have a call in to Jaguar Corp to see if I can change them out for the stationary lights and if they will comp them for all the trouble. Plus the Jag dealership also tried to low ball me and off me 3,000 for an 2003 s type. When they had a 2006 same model on the lot for 23,000.00 which added to the frustration.
You know when you know something and do it all the time its frustrating when you feel like youre not relaying the info in an easy to understand manner.....
1) most common headlight Stype failure is the center adjusting post breaking (its plastic)which adjust the horizontal light adjustment. the round silver piece you see in pics that you screw into is the socket that the ball of the adjuster is snapped into. the headlight factory adjustment post is still broken inside. The srew is now your adjuster. the light falls forward when broken and what youre doing is giving it a METAL adjuster in a different spot(the front of the headlight) in which to adjust the horizontal alignment. if you screw the scre in, in pushes the headlight assembly backwards and raises the beam. screw turn the screw out(counterclock wise) and this lowers the beam. I am a state inspector and in Texas they have to be at the correct level and HID factory auto leveling. THE SCREW METHOD provides this and the motorized leveling still works as designed( DO NOT UNPLUG IT, OR DISABLE IT) If the inspector says the height needs to be changed, just turn the screw in/out to do this. This is a better fix than buying a new one(theyre the same design and materials so they will break eventually again, especially if you live in pothole city) since the screw wont break and its almost FREE!!!!!!!
I REALLY DONT KNOW HOW I CAN MAKE IT MUCH SIMPLER SORRY
1 last note. there are more posts inside that can and do break. But not often do they break. it pretty much is limited to the center adjusting post.

Old 08-20-2010, 04:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,562 Likes on 3,966 Posts

Much appreciated

I figure mine will die sooner or later

Old 08-21-2010, 07:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 220 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by BRUTAL
You know when you know something and do it all the time its frustrating when you feel like you're not relaying the info in an easy to understand manner..... .
Yes I understand completely.

1) most common headlight Stype failure is the center adjusting post breaking (its plastic)which adjust the horizontal light adjustment. the round silver piece you see in pics that you screw into is the socket that the ball of the adjuster is snapped into. the headlight factory adjustment post is still broken inside. The screw is now your adjuster. the light falls forward when broken and what you're doing is giving it a METAL adjuster in a different spot(the front of the headlight) in which to adjust the horizontal alignment. if you screw the screw in, in pushes the headlight assembly backwards and raises the beam. screw turn the screw out(counterclockwise) and this lowers the beam..
Thank you for that detailed description. I think all we need now is some marked up photos interspersed with this text and have it posted in a single post. There are already a couple of good pictures at the front of this thread. I think some additional ones showing the actual drilling and placement of a screw with a rounded tip would be very helpful.

I am a state inspector and in Texas they have to be at the correct level and HID factory auto leveling. THE SCREW METHOD provides this and the motorized leveling still works as designed( DO NOT UNPLUG IT, OR DISABLE IT) If the inspector says the height needs to be changed, just turn the screw in/out to do this. .
OK, that's good to hear clarified. I for one was worried that this was somehow limiting the ability of the headlamp unit to self adjust so it's great to get that cleared up.

This is a better fix than buying a new one(they're the same design and materials so they will break eventually again, especially if you live in pothole city) since the screw wont break and its almost FREE!!!!!!!
I REALLY DONT KNOW HOW I CAN MAKE IT MUCH SIMPLER SORRY
1 last note. there are more posts inside that can and do break. But not often do they break. it pretty much is limited to the center adjusting post.
It's curious that the factory doesn't have a fully engineered field service solution like this to save them a lot of warranty claims?

Again, thanks so much.

Bob S.

Old 08-21-2010, 07:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,562 Likes on 3,966 Posts

Several people appear to have performed this fix but unfortunately didn't post detailed photos. Sooner or later someone will!

Old 08-21-2010, 09:55 AM
Received 2,194 Likes on 1,360 Posts

Theyre not under warranty anymore Bob. and any that are remaining under either factory(halogen/hid) or under select edition with HIDS only get a new assembly. The manufacturer gets reimbused from Hela when they send the assembly back to the supplier, which is why most/many warranty parts are returned. Besides I could hear a Jaguar owner now "WHAT! you fixed my damn car with a screw????I DONT THINK SO! I WANT A NEW HEADLIGHT!" same customer when out of warranty and its their money "WHAT! you want $1300 to replace my headlight! I DONT THINK SO! ILL PUT A SCREW IN IT!"

Old 08-21-2010, 10:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 220 Likes on 203 Posts

Besides I could hear a Jaguar owner now "WHAT! you fixed my damn car with a screw????I DONT THINK SO! I WANT A NEW HEADLIGHT!" same customer when out of warranty and its their money "WHAT! you want $1300 to replace my headlight! I DONT THINK SO! ILL PUT A SCREW IN IT!"
But of course!

Old 11-04-2010, 08:36 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The Screw repair for a pivot VS inconsistent levelling?

Hi
I understand the screw repair, and don't feel this applies in my case.
My issue, and I have searched only to see it on the English "lurch site" is the inconsistent self levelling.
ie: on start up the headlights do their dip and lift and end up level - I just did this three cycles in the garge tonight - however often I come home and see the pattern on my garage door with the drivers side much higher than the Pass side. A shut down restart corrects it.

Is there a resolution for this?

Pete
(still with an new electrical ignition switch sitting dining room table to be installed...) May get to some of these items this weekend