Sponsored by:

Self leveling headlights read it gets technical

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 03:59 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Self leveling headlights read it gets technical

2005 S-Type 2.7D
self leveling HID headlamps.

I have to thank members of this forum for posting the information and fix to cure drooping headlights.
The screw-fix worked fine for 1 week now both lights no longer sweep up & down when ignition is on and are both permanently down.

The screw fix was required on on the LH lamp only. I have a feeling that the latest non movement has nothing to do with the screw fix.
I think that fix is well documented.

I would like to start a thread on the actual self leveling system and components. And report my findings as I try to find a cure, this will help me and I think be a great benefit to members as it seems this is rather a weak design.
First can anyone help with these basic questions.

1/ The actual mechanical mechanism.
a) Somewhere there must be a motor that actually moves the lens, where is this located, instructions to access & test
b) Any known weakness to linkage or what should one look for

2/ The electrical side. (it would seem that there is no power getting to motors)
a) Are the units fused? where are they located
b) both lights are permanently down but the illumination on all lights work. being unlikely that both motors failed at the same time, what and where are the common electrical components anyway to test these?
d) I assume both motors are on the same electrical circuit anyone got the diagram

3/ The dumb part!
I am new to the car, and not got past the fiddling with the controls stage! as everything seems to work but the are locked in the down position, are their any user controls that I might have switched off?

4/ work/test to date.
a) removed the screw fix no change so replaced screw.
b) tried to find anything on the web and in the manual. found nothing
c) stood back and scratched head, and kind of decided to ask this forum for help.

Old 09-13-2012, 06:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

Hello and welcome stan. Yep, most of us are very familiar with the failed self-leveling headlights. I performed the screw-cure, but now that she has a warranty, the indy Jag tech hopes to have the warranty co. cover a replacement. We're not sure if Jag eventually had their supplier re-engineer the light, one would hope so.... Don't quote me; Jag forum member and certified Jag tech, Brutal, both understands the inner workings and offers to rebuild the mechanism for a reasonable fee...plus, I believe, he'll polish the tarnished lense. Hope I have the right guy. One of our moderators may be able to certify this.

The following users liked this post:
stanjag (09-13-2012)
Old 09-13-2012, 06:55 AM
Default Thanks bfsgross

Thanks bfsgross for that info.
one small problem, I should have added that my S-type is UK specification and I am in England at the moment and so is my car, I have a house in Florida and have a 300C Hemi there, but I prefer the Jag in England.
back to my problem, in my case it seems that the self leveling motors are not getting power, I was hoping to get pin-out info or some info on the activation itself.
also details on remove the units and possible fixes.

Stan

Old 09-13-2012, 10:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,535 Likes on 3,944 Posts

The JTIS on here has Electrical Guide which will likely be good enough though it strictly doesn't cover the diesel.

(Your jag couldn't be in the USA as there are no diesel S-Types there.)

For the right info pay to join jag's TOPIx.

Old 09-13-2012, 11:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 86 Likes on 61 Posts

I have a similar problem also. I took my my Jag to my independent Jag mechanic b/c of not auto leveling and he ran the IDS on it, it went through all the diagnostics and and the self leveling sequence, and it did work just fine! but later on after a few days later it stopped auto leveling. Dunoo whats up with that but I did do the screw method by Brutal which keeps it up and level long before. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know as well.

Old 09-14-2012, 09:15 AM
Default where is the TFIS?

Topix,
where and what is TFIS

Stan

Originally Posted by JagV8
The JTIS on here has Electrical Guide which will likely be good enough though it strictly doesn't cover the diesel.

(Your jag couldn't be in the USA as there are no diesel S-Types there.)

For the right info pay to join jag's TOPIx.

Old 03-13-2013, 06:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to the car, never seen anything that would be self leveling

Hi I'm new to the car and I have never seen the Carl do anything that would indicate it's leveling its own headlight. Can anyone out there Tell me what I should see when the car starts up?

Old 03-14-2013, 11:13 AM
Veteran Member

Stan - Never heard of TFIS. TOPIX - go to jaguar.com and click... Or google is good...

Old 03-14-2013, 11:14 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by docmiles
Hi I'm new to the car and I have never seen the Carl do anything that would indicate it's leveling its own headlight. Can anyone out there Tell me what I should see when the car starts up?
See below - we have no idea what you have. Probably no self-levelling lights so no fault.

Old 03-15-2013, 10:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JagV8
See below - we have no idea what you have. Probably no self-levelling lights so no fault.
I have a 2000 S-type with a V8 4.0 L engine & 82,500 miles

Old 03-15-2013, 08:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

Your 2000 Jag S-Type doesn't have self leveling HID low beam headlamps.

Old 11-09-2021, 03:22 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default switch on effect

Originally Posted by docmiles
when dip beam selected light lenses motor down then up to the correct level. you see the beams dance down then up.
this happens if the lights are switched to dip beam THEN the ignition is switched on. Not ignition on first.

Last edited by wraith388; 11-09-2021 at 08:34 AM. Reason: update