S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

seperate s/c cooling from engine cooling

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 11:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,068 Likes on 761 Posts

Haven't read much about pumps failing, but changed one on a STR to the Bosch one (part number 0 392 022 002), it flows about 14% more than the stock Hella one, and can be had for about $120.

Also I am not aware of any extreme cold weather issues, I had some good power at -10 and that is the coldest I have experienced so far.

Old 06-26-2010, 12:20 PM
Received 60 Likes on 48 Posts

I am in the process of installing a Killer Chiller system in my 2000 XKR. I have already isolated my cooling system & added a second pump to the circuit. As Andre has stated before the heat exchanger in the front only helps when the ambient temp is lower than the coolant temp. With the Killer Chiller fitted you would be heating the coolant coming out of the intercoolers as they are able to get the temp down that low. They recomend instaed of the heat exchanger using a larger resevoir. The system I have designed will have the cooling system running in a reverse direction with the factory pump drawing the cooled water from the Chiller to the intercoolers which gived me the coldest temp the water exits the intercooler & is monitered by an inline temp gauge to the second pump which will then feed a custom made resevoir then feeding the Chiller unit. The tank will hold app 1 gallon of coolant with a bleeder fitting at the top going to the resevoir. They claim I should see coolant temps coming out of the intercoolers as low as 50, where as now it will go as high as 150 under heavy boost (18+) for extended runs. I have not measured my IAT2 temps to compare to the coolant temps. I have read quite a bit about the system & it appears to really work. If it works as expected I will have my larger heat exchanger for sale if anyone is interested. I think the combination of water methanol injection & the Killer Chiller the car should run much better in the waarn weather.

Old 06-26-2010, 01:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,393 Likes on 1,887 Posts

JAXKR:
Please post pictures and more info if you can. This sounds like a great idea!! Thanks for thinking of us STR guys!

Old 06-26-2010, 05:10 PM
Received 133 Likes on 81 Posts

Just saw this and thought I'd let you all know that the pump is easy to get at and not that hard to replace or work with. I changed mine in about 15min and other than getting coolent all over me and everything else in a 1 mile radius it was simple. I actually have another one sitting around as I got the P1474 due to a blown fuse that I think I missed in my problem solving process! From the work I did on the system it seems that as some have mentioned, they are for the most part seperate other than a small connection for pressure reasons. I think the best would be fans for the intercooler radiator as again was previously mentioned.
I can also speak to the cold temperatures and performance. There is definatly more power available and colder temps. I have not had issues with the car handling intake temps as low as -45C and there is more power at these temps, at least to the butt dyno!

Old 06-27-2010, 10:12 AM
Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by JAXKR
I am in the process of installing a Killer Chiller system in my 2000 XKR. I have already isolated my cooling system & added a second pump to the circuit. As Andre has stated before the heat exchanger in the front only helps when the ambient temp is lower than the coolant temp. With the Killer Chiller fitted you would be heating the coolant coming out of the intercoolers as they are able to get the temp down that low. They recomend instaed of the heat exchanger using a larger resevoir. The system I have designed will have the cooling system running in a reverse direction with the factory pump drawing the cooled water from the Chiller to the intercoolers which gived me the coldest temp the water exits the intercooler & is monitered by an inline temp gauge to the second pump which will then feed a custom made resevoir then feeding the Chiller unit. The tank will hold app 1 gallon of coolant with a bleeder fitting at the top going to the resevoir. They claim I should see coolant temps coming out of the intercoolers as low as 50, where as now it will go as high as 150 under heavy boost (18+) for extended runs. I have not measured my IAT2 temps to compare to the coolant temps. I have read quite a bit about the system & it appears to really work. If it works as expected I will have my larger heat exchanger for sale if anyone is interested. I think the combination of water methanol injection & the Killer Chiller the car should run much better in the waarn weather.
Awesome to hear someone is trying this system on a jag. As far as the IAT's being as high as 150, is that with the methanol injection kicking in as well? How much of a difference did the methanol injection make on your iat's from stock? Let us know how the parts work out!

Old 06-27-2010, 10:35 AM

That is not IAT but the temp of the coolant coming out of the intercoolers. I am monitering the coolant temp at its hottest point. I have seen this temp go as high as 150 under normal cruising it runs around 20 degrees higher than ambient. I always have the water methanol on, there is a noticable decrease when it is off. The goal with this system is to have the car perform as it would if it were the middle of the winter. They say if you sit at idle for a few minutes the temp of the coolant is cold to the touch. I wiil moniter the change in IAT & IAT2 with my computer & compare the difference once I have the car running. I have a few things to modify before the system is completed, ie a.c hoses & resevoir.

Old 06-27-2010, 10:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,534 Likes on 3,943 Posts

How are you monitoring IAT2? AE?

Old 06-27-2010, 12:35 PM

Yes I have their software in my laptop

Old 06-28-2010, 02:02 AM
Veteran Member

They recomend instaed of the heat exchanger using a larger reservoir
Good that you are trying this setup, though I do not doubt that it will work/help. However all depends on your driving habits, and where (/how long) you need the power.

The front radiator will of course work contradictive to the killer chiller once that is able to cool down below ambient temps, so indeed a reservoir would be much better with this system.

I can remember that ford had such a HVAC system, where it would cool a separate circuit/reservoir, and as soon as you put the throttle down, it would open a valve to route the coolant from the cold reservoir.

I have no experience with the killer chiller and how much reserve you could build up before the coolant will be higher again than ambient temp, all will also depend on supplementing systems like the alky.

The ideal system would be to have also an intercooler radiator but with the flow controlled via valves. So the flow thru the radiator should only be opened when the intercooler coolant temp is 15 Celsius above ambient temp, and close when 5 Celsius or lower. The advantage here is that 1) Safety mechanism when the killer chiller is not working for whatever reason, 2) Once the killer chiller isn’t able anymore to cool (after a long run), the radiator can help again.

Is there anyone that can make a circuit that can switch at Delta Temp +15 and switch back at delta temp +5 (settable temp settings would be ideal, this is just an example).
Then only a valve is needed that in default state is always set for the +15 (so with Radiator setting).

Old 06-28-2010, 04:15 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by avos
Is there anyone that can make a circuit that can switch at Delta Temp +15 and switch back at delta temp +5 (settable temp settings would be ideal, this is just an example).
I guess such things are off-the-shelf but don't know, sorry. Even a domestic central heating system uses something similar (which you wouldn't fit as-is on a car!).

I'd guess any DIY-type or college grad electronic student could develop one. But there are probably hobbyist kits etc already, if not fully-built units. In England I'd look at Maplin and the like as a start.

It's not many chips to put a PIC with CAN and a temperature sensor plus relay driver, so you could set/read it via CAN and/or have it read IAT2.

Valves, water, etc have biggish time lags so you'd want to command the valve as much in advance as you could.

Old 06-28-2010, 12:12 PM
Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Yes I have their software in my laptop
what software brand are you using?

Old 06-28-2010, 12:30 PM
Veteran Member

AE = AutoEnginuity. See my question to which you posted just the reply LOL

Old 06-28-2010, 01:00 PM
Veteran Member
Thumbs up

It would be great if someone could help in making a switch like this. Here is a design spec (for what it is worth):
- Input
o 1 outside air temp sensor (a ground and signal wire)
o 1 intercooler coolant temp sensor (a ground and signal wire)
o - 12 Volt (Input)
o +12 volt (Input)
- Output (low amp, better to have this feeding a relay)
o - 12Volt (Output)
o +12 volt (Output)
- Adjustable settings:
o Pot meter for going ON, so +12 volt output
Based on Intercooler coolant +15 degrees warmer then the Outside temp, (the 15 degrees should be adjustable)
o Pot meter for going OFF (after it has turned on)
Based on Outside temp +5 degrees warmer then the Intercooler coolant temp, (the 5 degrees should be adjustable)

No CAN connection is needed, as that would also make it more expensive. I assume now 12 volts, but it might be better to use 5 volts as most temp sensors work on 5v.

Update:
I may have found someone that could make this device. The beauty of this device is that it can be used for many more setups:
1) For the chiller killer to control valves that can seperate the intercooler radiator during periods the KC can cool down better.
2) Control separate intercooler fans
3) Control the stock engine fans so that it will cool not only the engine coolant but also the intercooler coolant (especially if you have a colder thermostat). My personal interest is in the last option

If anyone is interested please pm me.

Last edited by avos; 06-30-2010 at 12:32 AM. Reason: Typo & update
Old 06-30-2010, 01:29 AM
Veteran Member

Also, please let me know if you would have other ideas/improvements, I hope to know more in a week or so.

Old 06-30-2010, 03:31 AM
Veteran Member

Why -12V?

Old 06-30-2010, 07:07 AM
Veteran Member

No specific reason other than to say it is "ground", force of habbit to write voltage with + and -.

Old 06-30-2010, 07:40 AM
Veteran Member

-12V on an S-Type is not ground! Ground is 0V

Old 06-30-2010, 08:12 AM
Veteran Member

There you go, one more reason I shouldn't try to make it myself ;-)

Old 06-30-2010, 08:35 AM
Veteran Member

LOL!
But make sure whoever does realises you didn't mean -12V.

Old 07-01-2010, 01:00 AM
Veteran Member

Ok, we are ready with the unit, here it is:
http://autospeed.com/cms/article.html?&A=0589

Glad that something existed already, so I have ordered one, and will play with it to see what is possible.

Quick Reply: seperate s/c cooling from engine cooling