S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Servicing before MOT next month

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2017 | 07:33 AM
Veteran Member

Maybe it confuses the car so it moves the fuel trims - just enough to pass the MoT.

Old 10-04-2017 | 08:28 AM
|

Well, I put injector cleaner in right after my road trip, and all has been OK since, and this tank of fuel, which will be the one for the MOT has another batch of injector cleaner in it so am really, really hoping after all my hassles the last few months she will go through the MOT all OK.

I have looked underneath, cant get to the sills easily/safely with just a jack but all looks quite tidy underneath, so with new discs/pads, battery, servicing having been completed, a new tyre, injector cleaner in the tank, and now these pesky wheel lugs done ugh.. am really hoping she will go through all OK..

This has just been one of those jobs - you know the job - where you think an afternoon is enough and it all just does not go smoothly :-) - the C1 took me 1 hour from start to finish to service her and the garage replaced front disks for the MOT all done.. My S-Type has just been one big issue this past month in comparison - steering wobble on braking and rear disks worn - two days to not quite complete, oil change cant do without ramps, battery died, and now I add wheel lug nuts to the mix lol In addition the nice smooth transaction of drop her off, get all done and MOTd and back same day has stretched to a dealership and independant across two weekends.

Don't get me wrong I love Jaguars, and have withdrawl symptoms if I don't have one (my better half will verify that lol) but this S-Type has really been pushing my buttons this last month lol I am soooo looking forward to everything done and completed - assuming nothing else crops up :-)

Old 10-04-2017 | 09:41 AM
Veteran Member

If it passes on emissions (hopefully it will) please post the figures as it's all a bit mysterious whether/how the additives work (er, if they do).

Old 10-04-2017 | 09:42 AM
|

will do .. :-)

Old 10-04-2017 | 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by JagV8
If it passes on emissions (hopefully it will) please post the figures as it's all a bit mysterious whether/how the additives work (er, if they do).
Colour me curious too.

There's no history here of cars failing emissions test other than for having genuine pre-existing issues that should be fixed anyway. The type/brand names of additives I see promoted in the UK for 'pre-MOT fix it' are the same as here so that's not a variable. I wonder if the habit of using them is a carry over from the days of cars with truly nasty dirty engines. Anybody have an idea of the failure rate in the UK on modern cars which do not otherwise have a real fault?

Switching to the OBD port measuring system caused a large spike in failures here due to the naive way in which the test was originally administered. The process has been updated to address this, it's now just a waste of time and money. We have an election in the future and it seems that all candidates are getting the message to just scrap the test entirely.

The following users liked this post:
SteveSheldon (10-04-2017)
Old 10-04-2017 | 12:57 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Mikey
I wonder if the habit of using them is a carry over from the days of cars with truly nasty dirty engines.
Hard to know. The UK has appalling air quality in many towns & cities so it makes sense to keep emissions as low as reasonably possible.

Er... well, it would if they did anything about the major vehicle polluters - diesels!

Through a complete foul (well, some f word) up there has until fairly recently been little mainstream (political) attention on where the NOx, PM etc came from.

As EOBD (European OBD) is pretty much USA OBD and the USA doesn't have many diesel cars... that may be why there's been little interest in using OBD for testing. (I suspect it's just political apathy, though.)

Old 10-04-2017 | 04:20 PM

Hmm I thought NZ was civilised but by your definition maybe we aren’t? Just had my rotors skimmed on the XJR Mind you it was a waste of time in the end as they didn’t stand up to the track day at a local race event. Towards the end of the event the car was shaking its head to the tune of about 50/60mm (2”+ for the USA)
No offence meant or taken BTW Oh and we don’t have emissions testing at present.

Old 10-05-2017 | 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by Robman25
Hmm I thought NZ was civilised but by your definition maybe we aren’t? Just had my rotors skimmed on the XJR Mind you it was a waste of time in the end as they didn’t stand up to the track day at a local race event. Towards the end of the event the car was shaking its head to the tune of about 50/60mm (2”+ for the USA)
No offence meant or taken BTW Oh and we don’t have emissions testing at present.
No offence taken, I'm in Canada not the US. I know you Ozzies have trouble with geography and reading maps, but that's OK. At least you spell Mrs. Queens English correctly.

It would have been interesting to see what the rotors would have done without having them skim cut. If it was to address a pre-existing condition then most likely the cause was deposits of pad material rather than actual warp of the rotor itself.

Old 10-05-2017 | 08:48 AM
|

With my braking wobble (which was really bad making hard braking impossible towards the end) the disks I took off had segments that seemed to have a slightly higher level and a visibly different grain for lack of a better description.. and since replacement braking has been as smooth as it comes..

Old 10-05-2017 | 09:31 AM

Classic signs of pad deposits.

Old 10-05-2017 | 09:46 AM
|

So there you go I sorted something successfully prior to the MOT - just need everything else to be completed LOL. She is having the wheel lugs & one tyre done this Saturday then the rear disc/pad set on driver side and oil change done prior to the MOT next Saturday - I will put up what emission results I get bearing in mind all I have used is injector cleaner and she has done just under 94000 miles now

Old 10-05-2017 | 06:17 PM

Mikey, getting close to offence now talking geography NZ’s are Kiwis after the bird which are flightless, unlike our Americas Cup boats Australians are as you said Ozzies and 1300klm to the west of us.
All said in the best of British accent what’s left of it. (I’m an adopted Kiwi of 51 years abode)

Old 10-05-2017 | 08:36 PM

No offence intended, as I'm well aware of the difference between the two countries having spent easily a year's time in each.

My point was that Canucks don't like being mistaken for Yanks anymore than Ozzie's for Kiwis. Having said that, what part of Scotland are you from?��

Old 10-13-2017 | 10:48 AM
|

OK tonight I am putting out the disc and pad set and the engine oil then first thing in the morning she is off the MOT centre to get oil/filter change, the pesky rusted on disk (that completely stressed me out lol) replaced, two tyres, tracking to get my steering wheel straight finally and the MOT - fingers crossed that there are no additional costs - I will put up the emmision figures etc for you guys once she is done

Old 10-13-2017 | 04:56 PM
Veteran Member

Keep my fingers crossed for you Steve, I know what a biggie the MOT test can be.

Old 10-13-2017 | 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by SteveSheldon
...the disks I took off had segments that seemed to have a slightly higher level and a visibly different grain for lack of a better description...
What you're describing are iron nodules that are of a different hardness than the surrounding metal, thus they become proud of the disc surface. As the pad goes over those areas, it is pushed back transmitting the pulse to the caliper piston.

Since liquids cannot be compressed, the displaced fluid is forced back up towards the master cylinder resulting in the pedal pulsation, or steering 'flutter' you describe.

Old 10-14-2017 | 09:01 AM
|

Ok.. £405.82 lighter but she is through.. 2 tyres, oil and filter change, headlamp adjustment, front and rear toe adjustment, smoke test 0 smoke temp 31 to 36 degrees. :-)

Old 10-14-2017 | 11:53 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by SteveSheldon
Ok.. £405.82 lighter but she is through.. 2 tyres, oil and filter change, headlamp adjustment, front and rear toe adjustment, smoke test 0 smoke temp 31 to 36 degrees. :-)
​​​​​​......... and breathe!
Congrats Steve, the deed is done for another year.

Old 10-14-2017 | 12:58 PM
|

I asked the MOT inspector how the underside was and he said good condition and no rust so I also feel reassured now.. Next year cambelt and rustproofing I think :-)