Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sheepskin seat covers on a STR?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 04:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 220 Likes on 203 Posts
Default Sheepskin seat covers on a STR?

I had an unfortunate incident with my seats getting dirty at a dealer last week and even though my light tan seats only have 21K on them (7K since I bought the car) I can see that these aren't going to hold up very well. Black is a much better idea but I don't like black interiors.

Soooo I wondered if anyone has tried some nicely tailored covers?
This isn't optional for me I have to cover the seats with something.

Thanks.

Bob S.

Old 04-04-2011, 08:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,642 Likes on 1,068 Posts

Bob,

I put a set of Neoprene & Mesh on the Excursion from Autosport. Custom fitted and they came out very nice. Happy.

Would like covers for one or more Jags (My wife's also has the light tan interior) but all they have for custom-fitted is the sheepskin which is quite pricey. For me, it is ok (SH-60B had sheepskin covers and other than the maintenance guys asking us to please refrain from eating candy canes whilst we fly "We're tired of shaving the seats..." they held up well and were quite comfy hot or cold) but she is not too keen on the furry look.....so I'm still on the sidelines....

Old 04-04-2011, 08:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 217 Likes on 129 Posts

Use a magic eraser to clean them with some warm water then immediatly put some leather conditioner on afterwards. I would run maybe the covers only when you have to take it in or if you are gonna be a little dirty. Leather has to breathe otherwise it cracks. If you get the covers dirty and sweaty and it seeps to the seat you arent gonna see it since it will be covered to know how your seats are holding up.

Old 04-04-2011, 08:36 AM
Veteran Member

It's not a look I'm into either but I have to do something soon. These seats just aren't going to hold up and I don't a car with worn out looking seats. The extra side bolsters take a beating getting in/out and the dirt that got plastered all over the driver's seat has me thinking I'd rather beat up the covers it's a lot cheaper.

That or I drive in the nude ... Oh wait. Much worse
Originally Posted by aholbro1
Bob,

I put a set of Neoprene & Mesh on the Excursion from Autosport. Custom fitted and they came out very nice. Happy.

Would like covers for one or more Jags (My wife's also has the light tan interior) but all they have for custom-fitted is the sheepskin which is quite pricey. For me, it is ok (SH-60B had sheepskin covers and other than the maintenance guys asking us to please refrain from eating candy canes whilst we fly "We're tired of shaving the seats..." they held up well and were quite comfy hot or cold) but she is not too keen on the furry look.....so I'm still on the sidelines....

Old 04-04-2011, 10:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

Just get a pair of "driving chaps"....cover your pants, rather than your seat. And it would be hysterical.

Old 04-04-2011, 11:06 AM
Veteran Member

I was only kidding about riding the Jaguar bareback ...

Interestingly most of the dirt is on the seat back and not the cushion.

I'm still not sure where all of the mess came from.

I guess what I really need here is a seat condom ...

Old 04-04-2011, 12:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 506 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by Staatsof

Yeah but then the lube will make a mess of everything.

I agree covers + leather interior in good condition = not a good idea, it will wear the leather uncessarily, both from the aspect of not letting the leather breathe, AND the friction anything but a perfect fit cover will cause as it moves on the hyde.

Take care,

George

Old 04-04-2011, 01:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

Hmm....Hazmat suit instead?

The only cover I could think of that *might* be safe for the leather would be a very light/thin cover that is like a nylon mesh weave. Would allow the leather to breathe and wouldn't create wear marks. However it would look horrible and probably fit poorly.

My X type had the Ivory interior and the only way I kept it pristine was being extremely careful about what I wore when I drove it, an cleaning it regularly - couple times a month. I didn't worry about the dealer since they cover the seat with a plastic sleeve before they get in.

Old 04-04-2011, 04:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 86 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Staatsof

Please don't say the word "CONDOM" , I had one too many shares of finding condoms in my car in unexpected places , LOLzz...

Pimp out your STR with Sheepskin seat covers, that would be phat!

Old 04-04-2011, 05:30 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jag79
Please don't say the word "CONDOM" , I had one too many shares of finding condoms in my car in unexpected places , LOLzz...

Pimp out your STR with Sheepskin seat covers, that would be phat!
Shame they were magnums and you couldn't use them

LOL sorry I couldn't resist

Take care,

George

Old 04-04-2011, 05:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 86 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by androulakis
Shame they were magnums and you couldn't use them

LOL sorry I couldn't resist

Take care,

George
LOLz....I know right they were too small for me, needed the XL , if that isn't crazy after Vance pointed out there's a hidden compartment under the cup holders, I found a huge cache of Durex condoms

Old 04-04-2011, 06:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 217 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by jag79
LOLz....I know right they were too small for me, needed the XL , if that isn't crazy after Vance pointed out there's a hidden compartment under the cup holders, I found a huge cache of Durex condoms
At least you know the previous owner was into safety. LOL.

The following users liked this post:
jag79 (04-04-2011)
Old 04-05-2011, 03:38 AM
Veteran Member

Maybe I should just sell the car. It's just way too delicate. Makes my Maserati seem like it has the durability of a Ford truck. Those side bolsters and the light color are not an asset in that regard.

I have a friend who put the sheepskins on his Infiniti Q45 and they worked out great after 5 years. I think they had a soft backing. The seats looked brand new. This leather is very similar, that crummy painted stuff.

Old 04-05-2011, 07:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,642 Likes on 1,068 Posts

Meh....with all due respect to Vance and George, I personally don't buy the "Seat covers are bad" argument. As to wear, the leather v. Seat cover interface will only see friction when the seat is occupied. I maintain the load is more evenly distributed and thus wear is reduced vs. friction of clothing v. leather (or Bob, for you...man-hide v. cowhide (LOL)

I can agree leather likes to breathe, but ....I know this: 6 yrs parked in partial shade, partial TX sun with all the possibility to breathe all it likes but no friction of any kind = dry, cracking splitting leather ('91 Grand Marquis- parked in 02 seats fine, by resurrection in 08..not so much)

Similarly, daily use, more-or-less garaged, over a similar time period, same climate = dry, cracking splitting leather (2000 Excursion - cracking began in '07 covered in 09)

Now for an "orange" to compare to those apples: I bought an '86 Buick Century T-type new in 86 and religiously covered the cloth seats with beach towels. Lived mostly in N. FL at the time with a few years at the end in KY. Never garaged. Sold it in 99 with >200k mi and the seats looked spanking-new under the towels.

I think the Q45 data point is important, though I'll also admit that after 5 yrs, both the Merc and the Excursion leather seats looked fine.

Old 04-05-2011, 08:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

Try catskinz I've
Used ten with other cars with great results

Old 04-05-2011, 08:12 AM
Veteran Member

So I should just get a couple of giant beach towels and drive that pup in my swimsuit?

The rest of the planet is NOT ready for that visual.

It gets back in the garage sometime this spring or early summer. There's very little sun exposure where I live. But it's sitting in it that seems to be doing the damage. Well, lately it was the dealer. Someone forgot the seat covers and sat in it with dirty overalls. You could smell the grease and oil. But I can see other signs of premature wear.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Keep them coming!

Originally Posted by aholbro1
Meh....with all due respect to Vance and George, I personally don't buy the "Seat covers are bad" argument. As to wear, the leather v. Seat cover interface will only see friction when the seat is occupied. I maintain the load is more evenly distributed and thus wear is reduced vs. friction of clothing v. leather (or Bob, for you...man-hide v. cowhide (LOL)

I can agree leather likes to breathe, but ....I know this: 6 yrs parked in partial shade, partial TX sun with all the possibility to breathe all it likes but no friction of any kind = dry, cracking splitting leather ('91 Grand Marquis- parked in 02 seats fine, by resurrection in 08..not so much)

Similarly, daily use, more-or-less garaged, over a similar time period, same climate = dry, cracking splitting leather (2000 Excursion - cracking began in '07 covered in 09)

Now for an "orange" to compare to those apples: I bought an '86 Buick Century T-type new in 86 and religiously covered the cloth seats with beach towels. Lived mostly in N. FL at the time with a few years at the end in KY. Never garaged. Sold it in 99 with >200k mi and the seats looked spanking-new under the towels.

I think the Q45 data point is important, though I'll also admit that after 5 yrs, both the Merc and the Excursion leather seats looked fine.

Old 04-05-2011, 08:31 AM
Veteran Member

I guess to be appropriate they should have a big MF R emblazened on them right? Green to match the car's color ...

Old 04-05-2011, 09:00 AM
Veteran Member

Leather conditioner applied liberally and religiously will prevent most of the cracking / splitting etc.

Other than that, keep it clean, and if it gets too bad, have the dye stripped and resprayed by a GOOD interior shop, ive seen interiors look brand new again on the original hydes in mid 60's - 70's cars. They key is to keep the leather structurally intact.

Now if you worry about every single mark, crease, or spot, you will give yourself agida. I agree this Jag leather isn't the best. My seats get cleaned and conditioned once every 2 weeks. At 8 years and 108k (almost) the interior looks 95% new, with the exception of some very slight bolster wear (dye is fading at the seam in about a 5" section). Nothing to really worry about.

IF you don't keep the leather cleaned and condition, it will dry split and crack.

It's a used car. Breathe, relax, use it. Take care of it, but it's going to develop a patina from use.

Take care,

George

Old 04-05-2011, 09:04 AM
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by androulakis
It's a used car. Breathe, relax, use it. Take care of it, but it's going to develop a patina from use.

Take care,

George
I agree with George here, also wouldn't the side air bags cause an issue in an accident if they are covered?

Old 04-05-2011, 10:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,356 Likes on 2,849 Posts

Yep, what George said. Although automotive interior leather quality has always varied widely during the 30 years that I've owned vehicles with leather, I've invariably found that if I kept it relatively moisturized and conditioned, it would hold up just fine. Patina happens - you simply have to accept that fact. Just keep it relatively clean and conditioned....

I condition our automotive leather maybe once a season (that's roughly 4 times a year). Always have. Always will. Works for us. I've used two products, and both seem to work equally well. The first was Connolly's Hyde Food from the UK. When I ran out a decade ago, I couldn't find it locally. So I switched to the widely available and very affordable Lexol. It seems to work just as well as Hyde Food and is easier and faster to apply and buff. I'm no detailing freak, but just keeping the hides clean and conditioned will go a long way towards making your original leather last as long as you decide to keep the vehicle....

My 1999 Ram's leather is charcoal (a Katzskin custom kit from California installed in January 2001). My wife's 2004 Lexus RX330's leather is a light tan, almost beige color. Her 2005 S-Type's leather is the dove grey color. All three interiors still look great, although my Ram drivers seat has developed the creases and patina that one would expect for a truck with that kind of age on it and a 250-pound guy driving it....

Last edited by Jon89; 04-05-2011 at 10:09 AM.
The following users liked this post:
JagV8 (04-05-2011)

Quick Reply: Sheepskin seat covers on a STR?