Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shift knob replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 07:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shift knob replacement

Hello folks,

I have a 05 S-type, automatic. I got a replacement "leaper" shift knob that I would like to put on-

How do I remove the current one?
I just assumed it twisted counter-clockwise to remove- I gave it a good try and it didn't budge the slightest.

Is there something holding it in place, like a locking screw or something?

I suppose I could twist a little harder, but I am fearful of breaking or bending something if it is not meant to just be twisted counter-clockwise.

Please advise,

Thanks-

J

Old 01-23-2011, 08:35 PM
Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts
Default To quote Chubby Checker..twist away...

I replaced the stock wood shift knob on my 2006 with a custom item from
a gentleman in Florida who does some amazing custom work.
Counter-clockwise...or, as the Brits say...'anti-clockwise' will do it.
You won't harm the shifter assembly; I suspect, but don't know for sure,
that the factory might use some type of compound on the threads to
prevent easy release.

Cliff

Old 01-23-2011, 08:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,642 Likes on 1,068 Posts

On both my 2003 and 2005 S-Type autos...they just screw off counterclockwise, *RH Thread" per RH rule. The chrome collar stays with the shifter. 2005 was much tighter than the 2003 first time I ever tried 'em.

Old 01-24-2011, 05:33 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by jordannray
Hello folks,

I have a 05 S-type, automatic. I got a replacement "leaper" shift knob that I would like to put on-

How do I remove the current one?
I just assumed it twisted counter-clockwise to remove- I gave it a good try and it didn't budge the slightest.

Is there something holding it in place, like a locking screw or something?

I suppose I could twist a little harder, but I am fearful of breaking or bending something if it is not meant to just be twisted counter-clockwise.

Please advise,

Thanks-

J
Take and wrap the chrome base in rubber or use rubber plier pads and grab it with pliers. It is only a lock nut but can be scratched. Then untwist the knob. Now, since your new knob has an emblem on it, you will want it facing a certain direction. I found that my custom knob would always loosen up. A trick I used on mine is to replace that chrome sleeve with a regular polished nut. I think it is 8mm bolt thread (but I really don't remember) but do know it is standard metric bolt thread so a nut is available at any big box hardware store. I threaded the nut down on the shifter then threaded my custom knob on. I then held the knob in the direction I wanted and used an open wrench to tighten the nut. My knob has stayed tight ever since.

Old 01-24-2011, 09:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 506 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by JOsworth
Take and wrap the chrome base in rubber or use rubber plier pads and grab it with pliers. It is only a lock nut but can be scratched. Then untwist the knob. Now, since your new knob has an emblem on it, you will want it facing a certain direction. I found that my custom knob would always loosen up. A trick I used on mine is to replace that chrome sleeve with a regular polished nut. I think it is 8mm bolt thread (but I really don't remember) but do know it is standard metric bolt thread so a nut is available at any big box hardware store. I threaded the nut down on the shifter then threaded my custom knob on. I then held the knob in the direction I wanted and used an open wrench to tighten the nut. My knob has stayed tight ever since.
You have a pic of this nut.
I got an STR shifter I basically almost destroyed cause it wouldn't screw down all the way, left about a 1/8" gap. Me being captain overtighten decided it just needed some coaxing to get the rest of the way on. So i cranked on it... Too much apparently lol.

Take care,

George

Old 01-24-2011, 10:09 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by androulakis
You have a pic of this nut.
Sure.... First smoke break I'll take a picture and come back and edit this..

Just a regular metric hex nut...

Attached Thumbnails Shift knob replacement-p9030136.jpg   Shift knob replacement-p9030137.jpg  

Last edited by JOsworth; 01-24-2011 at 11:40 AM.