S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

shift knob is stuck, trying to remove it but can't get it off. Please help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 06:03 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default shift knob is stuck, trying to remove it but can't get it off. Please help!

I was trying to remove my shift knob to replace it with a different one, and I can't get it to budge. I don't know if its on there real tight or welded together, but I cannot get it to move, any suggestions? Please help thanks!

Old 08-10-2012, 05:49 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by daboss085
I was trying to remove my shift knob to replace it with a different one, and I can't get it to budge. I don't know if its on there real tight or welded together, but I cannot get it to move, any suggestions? Please help thanks!
The metal part at the base of the shift knob is actually a lock nut... Wrap the base in some thick tape (like duct tape) to protect it...then lock on to just the base with a pair of locking pliers, then unscrew it as normal.... Lefty Loosey...

Then for easy mar free adjustment... You can do what I did... Get a metric hex nut (forget the thread size sorry) and washer to make future service easier. The shifter itself is a standard metric thread. Just look around at a home supply store like Lowe's or Home Depot for a metric nut. I looked at a few and went with the one with the "best finished" look. It happened to be stainless. I then buffed it with my dremel and it looked great when it was all put together. For me, my replacement shifter knob had a logo on it so orientation was important. The hex nut trick allowed me to screw down the knob to the exact position I wanted, then tighten the nut to lock it in place...

The following users liked this post:
DougB (08-10-2012)
Old 08-10-2012, 07:53 AM
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by JOsworth
The metal part at the base of the shift knob is actually a lock nut... Wrap the base in some thick tape (like duct tape) to protect it...then lock on to just the base with a pair of locking pliers, then unscrew it as normal.... Lefty Loosey...

Then for easy mar free adjustment... You can do what I did... Get a metric hex nut (forget the thread size sorry) and washer to make future service easier. The shifter itself is a standard metric thread. Just look around at a home supply store like Lowe's or Home Depot for a metric nut. I looked at a few and went with the one with the "best finished" look. It happened to be stainless. I then buffed it with my dremel and it looked great when it was all put together. For me, my replacement shifter knob had a logo on it so orientation was important. The hex nut trick allowed me to screw down the knob to the exact position I wanted, then tighten the nut to lock it in place...
Dang good idea! Thanks for that