S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shifter stuck in park again..Please help

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 10:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shifter stuck in park again..Please help

Yet I hate to say this but I have another problem with my jaguar s type. A couple months ago I was parked on a incline and my shifter was stuck in park. I rocked the car back and forth releasing the shifter and haven't had problem with it since. Today I got off of work and was parked on a very small incline and yet it was stuck again where it won't come out of (p). Upset I pulled it hard and it seemd to snap out of lock position and move to drive. I drove car a couple feet and stopped putting back in park, pressed brake and went to put back in drive and it was stuck again. I did this 4 times and it kept sticking over and over. I than drove twenty minutes home and when I got there I parked car and tried again and it was working just fine. WHAT THE HECK..... Can someone please help???

Old 09-17-2012, 07:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,703 Likes on 1,211 Posts

It would be VERY helpful if you would go to the "UserCP' located above and left, "Edit Signature" and put in your vehicle details, "Save" and poof no one will have to ask you for the year, model, engine etc......

The following users liked this post:
chaddm55 (09-17-2012)
Old 09-17-2012, 08:46 AM
Received 1,423 Likes on 1,066 Posts

+1 on vehicle details as pointed out by joycesjag... agreed, would be very helpful.

chaddm55 (09-17-2012)
Old 09-17-2012, 11:00 AM

Info/ signature saved and done.. thanks guys

Old 09-17-2012, 01:49 PM

Chadd, now that I know where dealing with a pre 03 S Type - here is the advice I can offer - there is a shifter block on the shifter assembly - it is made of plastic and is prone to breaking.

You should look to get the aluminum upgrade and get that plastic part replaced. Check www.welshent.com - They have a special for this shifter block at only $65.00 - they typically sell around $100.00 on ebay.

See below:

Welsh Enterprises, Inc - Jaguar S-Type Transmission Parts - Shifter Repair Kit - S-Type

Hope this helps...

The following 2 users liked this post by abonano:
chaddm55 (09-17-2012), mikestype (09-29-2012)
Old 09-17-2012, 02:34 PM
Veteran Member

Abonano has you covered! That should do the trick.

Old 09-17-2012, 02:43 PM
Received 6,307 Likes on 5,495 Posts

+1 on the above, and once it's fixed don't park on inclines without applying the handbrake first.

Old 09-17-2012, 08:23 PM

+2 regarding parking on inclines as Norri points out....

Old 09-27-2012, 11:06 PM
Unhappy Same Problem

The plastic shifter block on my 2005 s-type 3.0 is broken, and the dealership says that it will cost $1100 to get the entire shifter replaced. Is there any way I can order the aluminum shifter block, or does it not fit in the 2005 model? I really need an inexpensive way to fix my car...PLEASE HELP!!!

Old 09-27-2012, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by misstarevaj
The plastic shifter block on my 2005 s-type 3.0 is broken, and the dealership says that it will cost $1100 to get the entire shifter replaced. Is there any way I can order the aluminum shifter block, or does it not fit in the 2005 model? I really need an inexpensive way to fix my car...PLEASE HELP!!!
misstarevaj - I don't believe the shifter block mentioned in the thread applies to 03+ vehicles - I could be wrong.

Best bet - look at Ebay for a used shifter assembly

misstarevaj (09-28-2012)
Old 09-28-2012, 12:18 AM

I am positive that the white plastic shifter block is broken, and did not expect encounter this issue with a 2005 model. I was wondering if anyone had detailed knowledge on the aluminum replacement part that is available for the 2000-2003 s-type, and mentioned earlier in this thread. Will this fit on my 2005 s-type? Or are the parts different sizes? I would like to replace the plastic piece with metal so that the problem can be permantely fixed, rather than risking the plastic shifter block breaking again.

Old 09-28-2012, 05:54 AM
Veteran Member

misstarevaj, as pointed out by abonano, there is not a plastic nor aluminum shift block in your model year. Your problems are elsewhere.

There are 2 shifter cable bolts located on the side of the transmission that are known to loosen causing shift selector problems.

Old 09-28-2012, 10:40 AM
Default thanks for your help

Hi Rick! Thanks for your input in this issue. I have already checked the bolts under the car and found that one was missing and the other as loose. These are now tight and in place. While addressing this issue, my son tried to force the shifter into park and a piece within the shifter assembly snapped. Upon removing the cover I noticed that the broken piece inside is a white plastic piece that closely resembles a plastic shifter block. A piece is moving around inside if the shifter. What is this mystery piece and does my entire shifter assembly need to be replaced?

Old 09-28-2012, 11:56 AM
Veteran Member

Call these guys at www.motorcarsltd.com, tell them the forum sent you and explain your problem. I am sure they will be able sort this out.

Then please post back with the fix, thank you.

Old 09-28-2012, 03:53 PM
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

If you do not want to mess around with changing that block, I had the same issues. Trick is when parking on an incline, while in drive, pull your emergency brake on, not wimpy but somewhat tight and then put the car in park. When you start the car, with the e brake on, put the car into drive(should go in fairly easy) and then release brake. Have been doing this for years and no issues. But I will say, I try very hard not to park the car on any inclines but when I have to, I always do this.

Old 10-04-2012, 11:45 AM
Talking Problem Fixed!

Hello All! Sorry for the delay, but I just picked up my car from the Jaguar Dealership (North Scottsdale, AZ). So the shifter block, as well as another component within the shifter assembly was indeed broken. The only way to fix both issues was to replace the entire j gate, which cost $1240 after tax for the part and labor. Total bummer and completely unexpected! Well, at least she is running great!

Attached Thumbnails Shifter stuck in park again..Please help-me-561.jpg  
Old 10-14-2012, 08:55 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default S-Type Won't Move Out of "Park"... A Temporary Fix

S-Type stuck in park?
I found a semi-perminate fix to a common problem with the S-Type not being able to shift out of "Park". Mine started slowly and it seemed impossible to find a pattern to why it happened. I took my center console off that surrounds the gear shifter. After removing it, I found the small release switch/solenoid located just under and behind the shifter mechanism.

If you look closely with a flashlight, as you pull on the shifter as though you were going to put it into reverse, you will find a small "solenoid-looking" piece with a tiny black metal piece sticking out the side of it. This tiny metal piece is what moves in to let you shift and sticks out to stop the gear shifter from moving.

Once you find it, feel with your finger under the solenoid... you will feel a spring-loaded round button under there that pushes upward and slides the tiny metal piece out of the way. Once you feel the button move slightly upward.. hold it there and put your foot on the brake then try moving the shifter. It should release the tiny metal piece from blocking the shifter from moving.

Once you know you've got the correct part, if you wish, you can remove the entire solenoid or release mechanism by locating the small screws that hold the solenoid in place. I believe there where 3 screws to remove the small unit. It will become loose and you can move it to the side out of the way.

Once this shifter release is removed you must be aware that the shifter will move in and out of gear without putting your foot on the brake. Again, ONCE YOU REMOVE THIS RELEASE MECHANISM THE SHIFTER WILL MOVE IN AND OUT OF GEAR WITH OR WITHOUT YOUR FOOT ON THE BRAKE.

I should have taken pic's but put the console on before posting and don't want to remove it again. I've been driving it for 2 months now and haven't had to think about it getting locked in park since. Someday when I want to spend some money i will fix it the right way but until then.... Hope this helps. sconnley

For the S-typers out there stuck in the flat driveway and don't have time for my semi-perminate fix here's what worked for a while for me. try starting the car let it run for a second or two and try to shift to a gear. If it doesn't want to shift turn the key to the off position, Take the key out and start it again. Repeat the process over and over turning the car off and on until it allows you to shift. This may help get you to point B for a while but soon you will be stuck for good until fixed.

Last edited by joycesjag; 10-14-2012 at 09:13 PM. Reason: paragraphs
Andrew Grainger (10-16-2016)
Old 10-14-2012, 09:12 PM
Veteran Member

Thank you sconnley for description above.

You might want to follow forum protocol and introduce yourself to fellow members. There are many benefits to doing so.

Also going to "UserCP" and adding your vehicle details would in signature would be great as well.

Welcome to the forum and look forward to seeing you add to the community here!

Old 08-18-2014, 01:58 PM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Norri
+1 on the above, and once it's fixed don't park on inclines without applying the handbrake first.
So if ur parking on incline apply handbrake than shift to park n turn off?

Old 08-18-2014, 02:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 3,938 Posts

Yes, exactly that.

Quick Reply: Shifter stuck in park again..Please help