S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shipping Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 01:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Shipping Question

Good day everyone. I'm shipping my s-type from Chicago to Los Angeles. I'm looking for the best deal and but also one who will properly ship the car.

Thank You

Old 07-09-2009, 04:14 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,922 Likes on 3,222 Posts

I have shipped my vehicles twice. Once from Seattle to Hawaii and then from Hawaii back to Seattle. Doing my research, all the companies doing a vehicle shipping like that all go through the same company (Matson shipping-http://www.matson.com). They should be able to do a move for you like you are looking for. But, plan on being without the car for a few weeks. Odds are, they will load the car up into a container, load it on to a container train and ship it to Los Angeles. This will probably run you about $1000. of note, the car needs to have everything pulled out of it. The only thing that they will allow left in the car is the spare tire, jack, and wrench. Removeable radio faces, maps, car registration, etc will need to be removed prior to dropping the vehicle off.

If you are looking for over the road shipping, a lot of looking will need to be done. As a general rule, the cheaper the shipping, the less protection your car is going to get. A lot of the shippers use something along the lines of an F-350 with 3 vehicles loaded up on an open air trailer. If you are looking for something that is enclosed, then you are going to be paying more. The big thing to ask is if the shipper has shipping insurance. They should also do an inspection of the vehicle before they pick it up. This is not only for their protection, but yours too. If they don't inspect it, then I will place money that if there is damage done to the car, they are going to fight you the whole way.

I don't have a particular company to have you look at, but most of the people doing this sort of shipping are private parties trying to make a few bucks as they are doing some other business.

Old 07-09-2009, 06:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

https://www.countrywideautotransport.com/index.cfm

they have moved some cars around the country for shows....... do this as an option, maybe call a few corporate offices and see who they use for taking vehicles to the SEMA show in vegas. I believe you can private contract a driver for the car if you dont mind the mileage. My eldest uncle used to do it for people moving down to Florida from the Northeast. From what i understand, he was given gas money, a flight home, and 200 dollars (for about 1000 miles). While it was a word of mouth thing, he did this for many years as something to do after retirement. He basically made 100 a day for the drive.

Chicago to L.A. should take no more than 24 hours drive time. I have done l.a. to philly in 42 hours total with sleeping here and there pulling a trailer with my motorcycle on it.

Old 07-09-2009, 08:08 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,922 Likes on 3,222 Posts

Like PHD mentions, you can check places like craigslist and see if someone would be willing to drive the car or use their personal trailer to haul it from point A to point B. But, in most cases, these people are not certified/insured, so, any damage is at your cost.

Old 07-09-2009, 08:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 166 Likes on 134 Posts

Also, you may want to try Hemmings or DuPont Automobiles magazines or websites. They will have companies geared more to the high end though. A few years ago I had a car shipped from Reno to Fairfax for about $800. The car was on an open transporter and was fairly dirty.

Good luck

Mike