S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shock bushes

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 06:12 PM
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Shock bushes

Does anyone know if the rear and front strut lower bushes are the same? There's a lot more ebay options available for front than rear. They look the same...

Old 01-29-2015, 02:33 PM

No one has ever done this? For some reason rear bushes cost twice the front and look identical in online pics...

Old 02-04-2015, 11:59 AM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I recently replaced my WHOLE FRONT suspension pieces at a time. Lower control arms. Bushings. Sway bar. Sway bar bushings. I noticed back is way more expensive.
What's wrong exactly?
Good luck

Old 02-05-2015, 10:22 AM

Need to replace back strut bushes. They look to me to be identical to fronts, yet if I buy rear-specific, cost twice as much. if same as front, would just rather buy front ones.

Old 02-05-2015, 11:56 AM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

They may look the same in pica check the measurements and placement
Good luck!

Old 02-05-2015, 12:03 PM
Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

They are the same and cost the same (not on ebay).

Old 02-05-2015, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by leaping cat
They are the same and cost the same (not on ebay).
What I wanted to know. And you're right, I can get em half the cost if I order front; I suspect there's a lot more demand for front suspension parts as there's a lot more choice online, while much less so for rear components. The result is that rear parts are far more expensive, likely due to lack of competition. I was able to get a pair of front upper control arms for 80 bucks, and yet rears, which are very similar, cost many times more.

Old 02-06-2015, 05:10 AM
Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

I am not sure about the US market, but in Europe they do cost the same. In fact, front bushes (well they are GL heads in reality) have never been listed as existing parts for pre 2002 cars, so the only option used to be to use the rear ones.

Old 02-07-2015, 12:20 PM

They are only available online in my remote locale, which is what lead me to this post. And online prices are all over the map. No local jobber has any listing for most of these parts.

Old 03-31-2015, 04:16 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default need help finding rear shock bushing

Originally Posted by rattlenbang
They are only available online in my remote locale, which is what lead me to this post. And online prices are all over the map. No local jobber has any listing for most of these parts.
Do you have a part number or online link to purchase rear shock bushings (the ones that are attached at lower control arms). I just got told by the mechanic that rear shock bushes are not available for my 2000 s-type 3.0 and I had to but the entire shock ~$210 per side for the part and $300 per side to install????

Can the bushing be replaced without removing the shock from the car?

Thanks

Steve

Old 04-01-2015, 08:46 AM
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by hilaryv215
I recently replaced my WHOLE FRONT suspension pieces at a time. Lower control arms. Bushings. Sway bar. Sway bar bushings. I noticed back is way more expensive.
What's wrong exactly?
Good luck
Did you also replace front lower ball joint? If so, just the ball joint or the whole spindle with ball joint already installed?

Old 04-01-2015, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by stevedask
Do you have a part number or online link to purchase rear shock bushings (the ones that are attached at lower control arms). I just got told by the mechanic that rear shock bushes are not available for my 2000 s-type 3.0 and I had to but the entire shock ~$210 per side for the part and $300 per side to install????

Can the bushing be replaced without removing the shock from the car?

Thanks

Steve
Apparently the front and rears are the same. I bought these but haven't had a chance to install yet

2 Front Lower Shock Absorber Bushing for Jaguar s Type 99 12 XF 06 12 XK 06 12 | eBay

The shock has to come out and the bushes replaced with a hydraulic press. Problem is, what you save on parts they might ding you on labour to swap the bushings. Personally I would pull the strut myself as it isn't hard to do, and drop the shocks off at a shop with the new bushings, and just pay to have them replace the bushes.

Old 04-02-2015, 05:47 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

the front and rear lower shock bushes are exactly the same. Jag tried selling me the bushes for the front, but said the rear ones could not be replaced and i would have to buy a whole new shocker.....took to my mechanic, he punched out the bushes and swapped them over for both front and rear, using the same bushes.....job done

Old 04-02-2015, 07:10 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rattlenbang
Apparently the front and rears are the same. I bought these but haven't had a chance to install yet

2 Front Lower Shock Absorber Bushing for Jaguar s Type 99 12 XF 06 12 XK 06 12 | eBay

The shock has to come out and the bushes replaced with a hydraulic press. Problem is, what you save on parts they might ding you on labour to swap the bushings. Personally I would pull the strut myself as it isn't hard to do, and drop the shocks off at a shop with the new bushings, and just pay to have them replace the bushes.
If the shock needs to come out I would just replace the entire shock seeing as its 15 years old. The reason I was looking at just the bushings was that I thought they could get replaced while the shock is on the car (reading some other forum threads). I was told it's very hard to get the shock out (Mechanic said they need to compress the springs and it would take alot of labour/time =$300 for labour only).

If I can drop out the rear shocks myself as a DIY in my driveway I will just do the entire shock swap job myself. I'm moderately competent mechanically but have never compressed springs and don't have a spring compression tool. Anyone know if it's a fairly straight forward job or am I going to potentially kill myself trying to compress springs?

Thanks

Old 04-02-2015, 10:31 AM

That's because they want to replace the shock, which is separate from the spring. They both come out as one unit, but you have to compress the spring to remove the shock. If you just replace the bushing you don't have to.

FWIW my shocks have 155k miles and still work fine; I don't know how many miles are on yours, but given how easy it is to drop struts and inexpensive to replace bushes, my advice is to just replace the bushes for now; you could get many years more life out of them.

If you really want to replace the whole strut, a lot of parts jobbers have tool loaner programs, and finding a spring compression tool should be easy. They are straightforward to use; just google it and you'll find videos and such showing how it works.

Old 04-03-2015, 04:33 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The bushes cost me £15 each and the labour was around £100, so a lot cheaper than new shocks..they were 200 on there own..!!..plus you cannot replace just one shock, has to be both..so thats 400 for the stocks, plus fitting...just for the bushes...!