S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shoddy workmanship?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2013 | 02:13 PM
|
Default Shoddy workmanship?

Ok just got headgasket fixed on Thursday the wife just went out for food and called to say cars broken down no power steering dials going crazy and dsc fault up.
I come out and call the break down guys.
My drive belt has come off!!

Wtf!!

I'll call the workshop on Monday who done headgasket hopefully this should be sorted at no charge?

Old 01-12-2013 | 02:24 PM

Possibly the shop didn't install the drive belt correctly!

Check: belt (maybe broken or stretched) - belt tensioner - have them check each pulley, including idler pulley for any play (wiggling) - if these items all check out - just have a new serpentine belt reinstalled - but, I suspect there has to be an issue if the belt came off...

Make sure you have the battery fully charged up before venturing out again with the Jag as the belt slipping off stopped the alternator from charging that battery. Good Luck!

Last edited by abonano; 01-12-2013 at 04:55 PM.
The following users liked this post:
darren-talbot (01-12-2013)
Old 01-12-2013 | 02:43 PM
Veteran Member

Just a minor glitch. All will work out.

darren-talbot (01-12-2013)
Old 01-12-2013 | 03:17 PM
|

Originally Posted by bfsgross
Just a minor glitch. All will work out.
Hope so my friend.

Hopefully the garage will take responsibility.
Is it a big job to fix?

Old 01-12-2013 | 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by darren-talbot
Hope so my friend.

Hopefully the garage will take responsibility.
Is it a big job to fix?
No, not really - simple straight forward to diagnose and repair - biggest issue would be a pulley out of allignment or worn or the belt tensioner assembly is out of spec (not enough tension or too much tension on belt) - about $80 - $120 for the part and maybe 1 - 2 hours labor (and that's stretching it) - I changed my belt in under 30 minutes myself.

darren-talbot (01-13-2013)
Old 01-13-2013 | 10:13 AM

Could just be plain bad luck.

My buddy was having his Murcielago under go a major service,

Driving home after picking it up, the car shreds its serpentine belt and loses everything including the water pump...

Shop reused the original belt, bit the dust, bad luck, it appeared.

Happens.

Get this one last thing repaired and start enjoying your S-Type!

Old 01-13-2013 | 10:26 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by darren-talbot
Ok just got headgasket fixed on Thursday the wife just went out for food and called to say cars broken down no power steering dials going crazy and dsc fault up.
I come out and call the break down guys.
My drive belt has come off!!

Wtf!!

I'll call the workshop on Monday who done headgasket hopefully this should be sorted at no charge?

Considering the sequence/timing of events it's certainly very plausible that there was a workmanship error.

I know that if * I * did a head gasket job and a couple days later the car lost a belt, I'd assume that I flubbed up in some form or fashion. And I'd probably be right :-)

However, strange things do occassionally happen that are not anyone's fault....so I wouldn't go in with both guns blazing :-)

Cheers
DD

Old 01-13-2013 | 10:34 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by GT42R
Could just be plain bad luck.

My buddy was having his Murcielago under go a major service,

Driving home after picking it up, the car shreds its serpentine belt and loses everything including the water pump...

Shop reused the original belt, bit the dust, bad luck, it appeared.

This should start a debate as to whether or not the shop should've installed a new belt on general principle .....as a precaution or "while we're at it" .

Was the shop negligent in not replacing the belt?

Or......

If the belt appeared servicable, would the shop be accused of "over selling" if they DID replace it on general principle?

:-) :-)

Cheers
DD

Old 01-13-2013 | 10:35 AM

Ditto what Doug said. It's very common in my garage to do a major task, only to then screw-up a very minor detail in reassembly, because I was past the hard-part, and quit focusing. I remember one time I swapped a transaxle in my wife's cabriolet, and upon record-time completion, hurriedly dumped 2 qts of gear lube into the CLUTCH INSPECTION PLUG instead of the trans fill-plug.....

Of course, I never charge for my work..... so I beg-off a little slack.

On the other hand; sometimes timing just sucks, and coincidences really DO happen.
A SMART shop should look at this as an opportunity to make it right and gain your loyalty. And a smart consumer (such as yourself) should look at it the same way. if they make it right, consider taking them a LOT more of your business.

The following 3 users liked this post by McJaguar:
darren-talbot (01-13-2013), Doug (01-13-2013), xjrguy (01-14-2013)
Old 01-13-2013 | 01:40 PM
|

Thanks guys.
I will handle this in the correct way.

Hopefully get it in and out of workshop tomorrow.

Old 01-13-2013 | 02:07 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by McJaguar
On the other hand; sometimes timing just sucks, and coincidences really DO happen.
A SMART shop should look at this as an opportunity to make it right and gain your loyalty. And a smart consumer (such as yourself) should look at it the same way. if they make it right, consider taking them a LOT more of your business.

Yes!

I spent 30 years in the car repair business. While there have been some exceptions I know for a fact that a repair shop (or any other business) who "makes good" on a mistake in a professional manner will gain more loyalty than if the job had gone without a hitch.

It's when things go all to hell that a customer can best evaluate the quality of who they are dealing with. It's sorta like friendships. When the "chips are down" you find out who your REAL friends are.

Good work is naturally expected, but.....

Honesty, integrity, and professionalism often come as a very welcome suprise to a customer. Customers remember those things. Admitting mistakes and accepting blame is universally recognized and admired as an indicator of good character and trustworthiness. Ask ANYone and they'll agree.

So, yes, when a shop stands behind its work in a professional way.....willingly, not grudgingly.....they've told you something about themselves. Something worth knowing.

Cheers
DD

The following 3 users liked this post by Doug:
darren-talbot (01-13-2013), Jayt2 (01-13-2013), xjrguy (01-14-2013)
Old 01-13-2013 | 02:25 PM
Veteran Member

And, yes, even if the problem turns out NOT to be the shop's fault they'd do well to take care of it gratis.

I wouldn't expect them to absorb a big expense if it wasn't their fault but if it's something minor it would be a great "goodwill" gesture. I did this countless times. Bad business decision to lose a customer over something minor.

Cheers
DD