Sponsored by:

Shopping for an S-Type

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 08:13 AM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 242 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Shopping for an S-Type

Hello S-Type world, I've stopped by from over on the X-Type list to check things out. Back ground: I currently own an '05 X-Type 3.0 auto with 81K miles. I've had an interest in my car's "big brother" for awhile now and I'm deciding if now is a good time to make the switch. I've located a Jaguar Certified '08 V8 w 48k miles that interests me. But I'm wondering whether, without a having to spend too much time on this forum (yet... ;-), you folks would clue me as to what to be aware of regarding owning an S-Type?

X-Types have a number of "issues" and I would kind of like to know if there are similar ones with an S-Type. The X-Type things include an under engineered AWD system where the Transfer Case is a serious consideration (I had to have mine replace at ~60k miles but it was under Jaguar warranty at the time). The auto trannys are also a know problem. There are lots of other issues like the difficulty in replacing the fuel pump, vacuum leaks in the intake, problems with headlight adjuster failures that require replacement of the entire headlight unit, etc. There are other minor annoyances but the Transfer Case issue is the #1 big baddie with those cars.

So, without further whining, are their any significant known problems with the S-Type that I should be aware of before launching into owning one?

Thanks much
================================================
Jaguar: Grace, Pace, and Space - Sir William Lyons

Old 03-29-2013, 08:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,531 Likes on 3,941 Posts

That would appear to be the 4.2 NA (i.e. not SC / STR). Almost trouble free, but plan to change the autobox fluid (& filter & sleeve). DCCV gives trouble and cooling system expansion tank prone to leak. Nothing serious, just buy and enjoy. Grab JTIS if you DIY.

Unless you're the very careful type, swap the lug nuts (see threads on here).

Various ordinary things might fail from time to time but the HowTos usually have all you need.

There was a similar thread not too long ago specifically about the 4.2 NA so well worth hunting it down and haveing a good read. Very different car to an X-Type.

Old 03-29-2013, 08:54 AM
pab
Veteran Member

>plan to change the autobox fluid

Thanks, but can you tell me if it is "sealed for life" like the one on the X-Type. That annoys me so much, my Jaguar dealer refuses to change the AFT because of the factory "sealed for life" claim. A local transmission repair place where I've had trannys on other cars replace also was very coy when I asked if they would be willing to do a fluid change.

Old 03-29-2013, 10:01 AM
Veteran Member

See the How To.

Don't go to a car franchise to have autobox fluid changed. They just sell cars and do trivial stuff but trans work they haven't a clue (mostly).

Old 03-29-2013, 10:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,369 Likes on 1,867 Posts

They can't give away S Types so be very ruthless when placing any offer. The 2008 was the very end and Jaguar got pretty good at putting them together by then.

We have some people on this list with access to wholesale cars and I would contact or request some help in what you are looking for.

Old 03-29-2013, 10:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,364 Likes on 2,854 Posts

A number of S-Type owners here have changed their own ATF/gaskets/sleeve/pan. There are several good threads here in the S-Type section that explain and document the procedure. NO transmission is "sealed for life". You'll get plenty of help here if and when you decide to take the plunge and change it....

Read the S-Type FAQs. You'll learn that the S-Type will be much more reliable than your X-Type. They have their quirks and design flaws, but the vast majority of them have been addressed and solved here on the forum. I think you'll be far happier with a 2008 S-Type than you are with your current X-Type....

Read up here before you decide to pull the trigger, though....

Old 03-29-2013, 03:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 20,938 Likes on 8,421 Posts

You stated that the Jaaaag you're looking at is a Select Edition with Jag's extended warranty. How much longer is the warranty?
Star making a list of warranty fixable items from the above posts and FAQ's, etc. Have everything fixed prior to warranty expiration.
Just buy it now and start to enjoy it.
Welcome to the S-Type...

Old 03-29-2013, 10:05 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Jiffy Lube changed atf and power steering fluid for me, when it was somebody else's money and my time.

In my driveway are two 2000 s-types, one 4.0 V8 the other 3.0 V6, and both are leaking antifreeze from the reservoir area. I am going to remove the inner fender liner and the back of engine compartment plastic cover, and see where the fluid is coming out. I need to get behind the fender liner for fuel filter change anyway.

Jiffy Lube guy said screw coolant cap until it clicks three times. No diff so I loosened it and that way antifreeze lasts longer, a gallon a week or better, instead of a gallon a day. Tomorrow is Saturday and I plan on having a fun day in near spring weather working on the car outdoors.

These kinds of problems are not difficult to fix, and this is the fastest response, best response, of any type of help forum I've seen. On the other hand, I've heard of these small problems being fixed for hundreds of dollars each and some tall stories told to justify them. One mechanic routinely tells people that the heater control valve is leaking, and same guy charged for not really fixing a window regulator twice. Robin Hood attitude is partly responsible for the idea that Jags will kill us on maintenance. Non-DIY owners have even more reason to come to this forum and get a diagnosis before talking to a mechanic who might get the Robin Hood complex. In general I am not cynical about contractors, but there are bad apples(William Tell complex?).

Old 03-30-2013, 07:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,364 Likes on 2,854 Posts

These lousy plastic coolant reservoirs are notorious for leaking. The plastic hose nozzle usually hairline-cracks and begins to leak, getting worse as the crack enlarges. Start your investigation there - you may wind up snapping the nozzle off if you attempt to wiggle it, so be careful. Count on replacing the reservoir. They all eventually crack and leak....

Old 04-01-2013, 08:33 AM
pab
Veteran Member

>These lousy plastic coolant reservoirs are notorious for leaking. The plastic hose nozzle usually hairline-cracks and begins to leak

Yes, we have this exact same conversation over on the X-Type list (ya Ford... ;-). Jaguar must have used the very same coolant bottle.

Old 04-01-2013, 08:42 AM
pab
Veteran Member

>You stated that the Jaaaag you're looking at is a Select Edition with Jag's extended warranty. How much longer is the warranty?

Feb '14. Just did a Carfax and see that a headlight was replaced and that it got rear pads/rotors last September. Other than that nothing but inspection records and that it was retitled twice.

It arrived in California and was leased, offered for sale in Washington state, titled in NYState (looks like it traveled cross county to New Your for new owner), offered again for sale in NJ.

Old 04-01-2013, 01:02 PM
pab
Veteran Member

Help

The dealer I'm working with in trying to get the Jaguar Certified '08 4.8 48k mi just called to see if I would be interested in a '06 S-TypeR with 33k miles with a 2/24 Toyota warranty of some sort. Is the supercharged motor to be avoided or is it trustworthy?

Should I be interested in that one instead?

Old 04-01-2013, 01:13 PM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Pab-

The 4.2L motor is 300HP, the 4.2L supercharged version S-Type R is 400HP.

Very similar reliability, slightly worse fuel economy. Very desirable car. The condition and history of the car should be paramount as with any used vehicle.

I put NO value in aftermarket warranties. Ask the dealer how much the warranties add to the purchase price of the car and just put that same amount of money in your own maintenance reserve.

Old 04-01-2013, 03:01 PM
Veteran Member

Agreed.

Old 04-01-2013, 04:18 PM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

pab...

Post up pictures or links to pictures of both cars... The forum gurus are really good at spotting stuff that "aint right"...

As for the cars.. the R would be a lot more fun, but be careful that it wasn't driven "1/4 mile at a time" with those miles...

Note on the warranty.. the Select Edition warranty is great. Covers almost everything ( I had it on my 05) but... it is a 6year/100k mile warranty based on the car's original in service date..my quick math says it will run out some time in 2014... the 2/24k on the other car may actually last longer if you don't run out of miles.

Then there is the age factor... the two cars are close enough in miles that the fact that the R is two years older may play a factor. Drive them both and get a feel for which one feels "tighter".

Either way, you will not be disappointed. I thought I liked the X Type at first. Then when shopping for something more family friendly I drove an 05 X Type wagon... Oh my. Did not like it one bit. Then I had a loaner sedan after getting the S... Same thing...Ugggg... You will fall in love with the S. Despite the controversy over it's styling, it was one of the best engineered platforms done by Jaguar. In fact, it still is in production as the much loved XF. See, a little tweak in appearance and all of a sudden the car press loves it... LOL

Old 04-08-2013, 10:26 AM
pab
Veteran Member

Getting serious: '06 STR, 38K miles, clear Carfax, car from the south (Georgia), sliver with black interior, seems to have all or the toys (i.e., has the NAV unit and Advent stereo, etc.). My dealer is offering it at $22K and seems willing to take my '05 X-Type in trade. I'm hoping $15K plus my car. Not looking for "best" deal since I intend to keep the car long term (so saving a few $k over the life of ownership doesn't represent a high enough value to me to "bust" the deal. The low mileage is the most important factor to me at this point).

Ford Premium Care 2/24 warranty (an excellent, excellent warranty, trust me, being the owner of an X-Type I should know... ;-) available for $3.1K.

Time to pull the trigger?
Jaguar - it's not an automobile, it's a Motorcar

Old 04-08-2013, 04:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 802 Likes on 670 Posts

Well that is a very high price. On Ebay they are $12K-15K. I think I would go no higher than $16K since it does have low mileage.

He won't have many if any people looking at it.

What do think your car is worth?

Old 04-08-2013, 06:31 PM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

+1, way too high.

Plus $3.1K for a warranty? Ouch.

Old 04-09-2013, 08:23 AM
pab
Veteran Member

Data:

Kelly Blue book price from a dealer- $21,181
Value of '05 X-Type- $5,757

Old 04-10-2013, 03:17 PM
pab
Veteran Member

>Kelly Blue book price from a dealer- $21,181

Bad news, my dealer put the STR up on the lift and found that the owner had "dragged bottom" to the tune of $7200 worth of damage. They didn't explain to me what exactly had been hit but just that the car was immediately sent to auction rather than being sold by them.

I'm bummed and guess I'll be stick'n with my X-Type for a while longer. But my overall goal is a late model, low mileage, S-Type 4.2, so hopefully I'll eventually be back.
Jaguar - it's not an automobile, it's a Motorcar

Quick Reply: Shopping for an S-Type