S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which side is "Bank One"? '02 3.0L S-type

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 10:40 PM
Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Which side is "Bank One"? '02 3.0L S-type

Which side of the engine is "Bank 1"? Is it the driver's side or the passenger side?

Old 07-29-2009, 05:31 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,887 Likes on 3,194 Posts

BugDoc, the passenger side is bank 1 assuming you have an american based S-Type. Another way to look at it is if you open up the hood and are facing the windshield, bank 1 is on your left side.

Old 07-29-2009, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by Thermo
BugDoc, the passenger side is bank 1 assuming you have an american based S-Type. Another way to look at it is if you open up the hood and are facing the windshield, bank 1 is on your left side.
Thanks. That is the side I am getting Cat Codes on... and the hardest to get to the plugs and coils to check them out.

I think I have sources the gaskets to replace when I take the intake off.

What is the IMT o-ring? I could not seem to find that one(s).

Thanks again.

Old 07-30-2009, 04:59 PM
Veteran member

BugDoc, the IMT O-Rings are part of the intake. If you look at the intake, on the back side, you will notice 2 black plastic caps (about 3.5" in diameter) on the intake. Those are valves that alter the length of your intake tubes, allowing for either better low end torque (lengthening the tubes) or for higher horsepower up in the RPMs (shortening the tubes). If these leak, they can give you intake leak codes. It can possibly cause cat codes too as they are seeing too much oxygen, making the computer think the cats are not doing what they need to.

Old 07-30-2009, 07:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,703 Likes on 1,211 Posts

THANK YOU Thermo for explaining that 1..... My lower side IMT was full of blow-by oil (normal on these 3.0's, says Brutal). The O-Ring was allowing the blow-by oil to leak through the seal and drip onto my passenger exhaust manifold. Our vehicle did not throw any codes to indicate such.

BugDoc, I have pictures posted on a few posts here if you cannot find them PM me and I will send you the links. BTW Brutal is (was) a tech here and has not graced us with his presence for sometime, UNFORTUNATELY for us. Reread the response to your post IMT O-Rings.

Last edited by joycesjag; 07-30-2009 at 07:28 PM.
Old 07-30-2009, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by Thermo
BugDoc, the IMT O-Rings are part of the intake. If you look at the intake, on the back side, you will notice 2 black plastic caps (about 3.5" in diameter) on the intake. Those are valves that alter the length of your intake tubes, allowing for either better low end torque (lengthening the tubes) or for higher horsepower up in the RPMs (shortening the tubes). If these leak, they can give you intake leak codes. It can possibly cause cat codes too as they are seeing too much oxygen, making the computer think the cats are not doing what they need to.
Thanks Thermo. That helps a lot. It looks like I need to call a Jag parts place and mail-order those. I don't I am going to find them in town.

Any "best price" Jag mail-order partshouses?

Thanks again for your help.

Old 07-30-2009, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by joycesjag
THANK YOU Thermo for explaining that 1..... My lower side IMT was full of blow-by oil (normal on these 3.0's, says Brutal). The O-Ring was allowing the blow-by oil to leak through the seal and drip onto my passenger exhaust manifold. Our vehicle did not throw any codes to indicate such.

BugDoc, I have pictures posted on a few posts here if you cannot find them PM me and I will send you the links. BTW Brutal is (was) a tech here and has not graced us with his presence for sometime, UNFORTUNATELY for us. Reread the response to your post IMT O-Rings.
This is all starting to make sense now. I read a good bit on the iNet about the code I am getting P0420. It sounds like it can be caused by a bad Cat. But it can also be caused by oil or fuel unburnt and getting into the exhaust system.

Oh. Just reread. It is dripping onto not into your exhaust. Still that is not a good thing. May not be the reason for my code.

I will try to find replacement IMT O-rings before I dig in.

Thanks to Thermo and JoycesJag for helping me learn about the IMT o-rings. Are the a rubber o-ring or a metal seal? Seems the pic I saw somewhere made them look 'like' a head gasket type construction.

(JoycesJag. I saw your link to the pic in the other thread... this forum needs more such pictures. 1000 words you know!) Thanks for the help.

Old 07-30-2009, 09:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,703 Likes on 1,211 Posts

The new O-Rings are going to be colored GREEN rubber about 3.5" diameter DEALER only part.
I knew the oil dripping on the manifold was not going to throw codes.

Old 07-31-2009, 07:39 AM
Veteran member

BugDoc, like was mentioned, the IMT O-rings are going to be rubber (very hard rubber). There is not metal ring inside or anything like that. You may notice that the ones you pull out are a different color than you are going to install. This is fine. Jaguar upgraded the o-rings after the cars were made with something a bit better. So, no need to worry there.