S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Silver STR - Black Zeus Wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 10:39 AM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Silver STR - Black Zeus Wheels?

Before I refurb my Zeus wheels I was wondering if anyone has any photos of black Zeus wheels on a silver STR?

Trying to get a more aggressive look but am having a hard time visualizing. I think with the silver calipers and tinted windows it might be a good balance.

I'd probably want to go with a matte black or satin...glossy would be a brake dust nightmare and would be too much in my opinion.

Thoughts? Pics? I've searched all over Google but can't find any pics of this combination.

Old 04-05-2011, 10:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

I've only seen black on black. I've debated doing it myself (black car) but I'm not sure if it would be too much.

If you have some time to kill, you could try this: use some electrical tape and wrap one of your wheels with it. Then you can get a general idea of how it will look (20 foot away) without having to take the wheel off or anything. And electrical tape won't harm the paint.

Yeah, kinda dumb I know, but if you are a visual person this may help.

Old 04-05-2011, 10:57 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not the same wheels, but the Tire Rack wheel preview tool might be able to give you an idea of what black wheels on a grey car would look like without the need for as much tape

2005 Jaguar S Type V8 Sport Package Wheel Preview

Old 04-05-2011, 11:30 AM

Yeah... I looked at that same setup on TR... just doesn't give a realistic view.

Guess I could just refrain from washing the front wheels for awhile and let the brake dust pile up.... : )

Surely someone has done this...gotta be some pics somewhere. Maybe someone could photoshop some pics from my link in my sig???

This would be a good one to use. I may try it in some of my graphics progs...

Old 04-05-2011, 11:53 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Name:  wheels1.jpg
Views: 2455
Size:  100.4 KB

Quick & Dirty PS...

The following users liked this post:
American (04-05-2011)
Old 04-05-2011, 11:58 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

Here's a pic of MyBlackCat's s-type R with his dealer-painted gunmetal black rims. You can click on the pic for a super-sized version if you want

Old 04-05-2011, 12:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 217 Likes on 129 Posts

Look around I remember a member did have a silver with black powdercoated wheels a few months ago. The thread has to be around here somewhere.

Old 04-05-2011, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by blackstr

Quick & Dirty PS...
Outstanding! Thank you..that certainly helps. I think I may go that route.. do a satin black

Last edited by American; 04-05-2011 at 12:43 PM.
Old 04-05-2011, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by h20boy
Here's a pic of MyBlackCat's s-type R with his dealer-painted gunmetal black rims. You can click on the pic for a super-sized version if you want
Man that sure is sexy...thanks!

Old 04-05-2011, 12:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't like the black alloys, the gun metal is nice

Old 04-05-2011, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by Zenman63
Don't like the black alloys, the gun metal is nice
I agree...like that too, which is why I like the Verde Hyper Black wheels so much but they don't make a 9.5" wide wheel.

Last edited by American; 04-05-2011 at 01:57 PM.
Old 04-05-2011, 02:27 PM
Veteran Member

Those look like a PITA to clean though. All those spokes and little nooks and crannies....

Old 04-05-2011, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by The Chris X
Those look like a PITA to clean though. All those spokes and little nooks and crannies....
They are nothing compared to the stock wheels on my E36 M3 I used to own. Almost impossible to clean.

Regardless, they aren't available... I'm sure I'll just repair my Zeus wheels and decide on a color at that time. Going to run these tires for a bit and put some crossdrilled/slotted rotors on the shelf... do it all at once.

Anyone used these brakes?

Premium Dimpled and Slotted Brake Rotors

Old 04-05-2011, 02:53 PM
Veteran Member

I feel ya. Had BBS on my SAAB....they had to contribute to some of my herniated discs!! LOL....

Let us know which way you go with the Zeus....I still am mulling over what to do with mine.

Old 04-05-2011, 03:51 PM

Found the thread I think you were referring to:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...s-46734/page2/

Old 04-05-2011, 03:54 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by American
They are nothing compared to the stock wheels on my E36 M3 I used to own. Almost impossible to clean.

Regardless, they aren't available... I'm sure I'll just repair my Zeus wheels and decide on a color at that time. Going to run these tires for a bit and put some crossdrilled/slotted rotors on the shelf... do it all at once.

Anyone used these brakes?

Premium Dimpled and Slotted Brake Rotors

I use the black coated cross drilled and slotted from there. I just didnt want to pay the extra hundred for dimples. I dont think I'm harsh enough on them to crack the cross drilled. I ran cross drilled on my last car which was way heavier then the STR and the brakes were alot smaller and never had a problem with them cracking. I like them. Been running them for over 6 months not and the coating has held up perfect and they brake just as good as they did when I installed them. I feel they are definitly worth the money. They fit also that seems to be a thing with the R's is making sure who you are getting rotors from are the right sizes.

Attached Thumbnails Silver STR - Black Zeus Wheels?-rotor2.jpg   Silver STR - Black Zeus Wheels?-rotor3.jpg  
Old 04-05-2011, 04:08 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by American
Found the thread I think you were referring to:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...s-46734/page2/

That was probably it I could of swore that he has a silver with Zeus wheels. My bad. When I was searching for it I did find this guy who has a pic in his avatar but I couldn't find where he posted a bigger pic.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...08/#post301036

Old 04-05-2011, 08:05 PM
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Hey Vance, I noticed in your pic you have bridgestones, I just got those potenzas a few weeks ago. How do you like them? They feel like they have a lot less grip in the corners to me than my michelins.

Old 04-05-2011, 08:20 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by phaelax
Hey Vance, I noticed in your pic you have bridgestones, I just got those potenzas a few weeks ago. How do you like them? They feel like they have a lot less grip in the corners to me than my michelins.
I liked them alot. I still have them on the front but the rears got pretty bald for some reason. They were on the car when I got it some I dont know what the age of the tires were but the rears only lasted me about 8000 miles after I got the car. I'm sure they were on for a little while plus with some of my spirited driving I was doing since I had just got it probably didnt help. I was actually gonna replace them with new ones since the fronts were still good. The only problem is I couldnt find any in the rear size they were back ordered everywhere I looked. I ended up find another set of all seasons with very similar stats and a very similar profile in Yokohamas. So I'm running the Bridgestone up front and the Yokohama Advan S4's in the rear. The Yokohamas have the same stats according to tirerack but they seem to grip more then the Bridgestones did but they are a little noisier the Bridgestones were pretty quiet. Its only low speed though it almost sounds like the Yoko's are sticky like there is a sticky residue on them so it makes a weird sticky noise when driving slow.

Old 04-05-2011, 08:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 86 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by vance580
I liked them alot. I still have them on the front but the rears got pretty bald for some reason. They were on the car when I got it some I dont know what the age of the tires were but the rears only lasted me about 8000 miles after I got the car. I'm sure they were on for a little while plus with some of my spirited driving I was doing since I had just got it probably didnt help. I was actually gonna replace them with new ones since the fronts were still good. The only problem is I couldnt find any in the rear size they were back ordered everywhere I looked. I ended up find another set of all seasons with very similar stats and a very similar profile in Yokohamas. So I'm running the Bridgestone up front and the Yokohama Advan S4's in the rear. The Yokohamas have the same stats according to tirerack but they seem to grip more then the Bridgestones did but they are a little noisier the Bridgestones were pretty quiet. Its only low speed though it almost sounds like the Yoko's are sticky like there is a sticky residue on them so it makes a weird sticky noise when driving slow.
Good old Yokohama's. I never seen any of those that don't make tire noise. They are notorious for it. I had them on my Merc and other cars before and I couldn't stand it even though they are great tires no doubt. I have Pirellis Pzero on the STR, and they handle just as good as the Yokohama's, with barely any tire noise.

Last edited by jag79; 04-05-2011 at 08:33 PM.

Quick Reply: Silver STR - Black Zeus Wheels?