S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Simple S-Type question.

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 12:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Simple S-Type question.

Just bought my 00 3.0 yesterday and occasionally the red lamp comes on, on my warning panel and i dont know what it means, no owners manual in the car and google wont tell me so im asking you guys, checked the oil before the first start today on a flat surface and its at full. Could it be telling me to change it since im 200 miles from my next oil change? Thanks for your time!

Old 09-20-2012, 12:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

The red lamp means something bad in most circumstances... Does a check engine light accompany the red lamp?

Old 09-20-2012, 01:20 AM

Originally Posted by disguay
The red lamp means something bad in most circumstances... Does a check engine light accompany the red lamp?
Yeah the cel came on first and the lamp comes on and goes away randomly, and i had the cel diagnosed yesterday when it first appeared and its an o2 sensor bank 2, so i wasnt sure what the lamp means

Old 09-20-2012, 03:00 AM
GGG
Received 16,865 Likes on 12,186 Posts

There's two levels of warning displayed next to the Odometer / Message Centre (arrowed 'C')

RED warning on the right is a Primary warning and must be investigated immediately. AMBER warning on the left is a Secondary warning not requiring immediate action.

The RED warning is usually accompanied by an additional warning light or further information displayed in the Message Centre regarding the reason it's displayed.

You really need to get hold of the Driver's Handbook which details all the message and the required action. Check this link:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ownload-10578/

Full forum privileges require 3 days membership AND a minimum of 10 posts so you may find some restrictions on downloading until then.

Graham

Attached Thumbnails Simple S-Type question.-s-type-instrument-pack.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
00Stype (09-20-2012)
Old 09-20-2012, 06:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

Welcome 00stype, yep, investigate the bank 2 O2 sensor before it leads to cooking the catalytic converter. How'd she run prior to the lights? Full power without hestitatio? Search for vaccume leaks on and near the intake manifold. The 3.0 is famous for these.

Old 09-20-2012, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by bfsgross
Welcome 00stype, yep, investigate the bank 2 O2 sensor before it leads to cooking the catalytic converter. How'd she run prior to the lights? Full power without hestitatio? Search for vaccume leaks on and near the intake manifold. The 3.0 is famous for these.
She ran beautifully before the cel popped up, now if i give slight and slow acceleration is studders kind of like a misfire so i will definitely check for vacuum leaks, i bought the car for 2000 with 140k miles sooo im not disappointed so far.

Old 09-20-2012, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by GGG
There's two levels of warning displayed next to the Odometer / Message Centre (arrowed 'C')

RED warning on the right is a Primary warning and must be investigated immediately. AMBER warning on the left is a Secondary warning not requiring immediate action.

The RED warning is usually accompanied by an additional warning light or further information displayed in the Message Centre regarding the reason it's displayed.

You really need to get hold of the Driver's Handbook which details all the message and the required action. Check this link:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ownload-10578/

Full forum privileges require 3 days membership AND a minimum of 10 posts so you may find some restrictions on downloading until then.

Graham
Hey graham, do you see the bottom left panel with the check engine light and what appears to be the battery light? Its the left red one that looks like an oil lamp. I dont have any amber or red light, no error messages, only the cel which comes back to the o2 sensor and sometimes that lamp will come on. Thank you for the link!

Old 09-20-2012, 11:01 AM
GGG

Originally Posted by 00Stype
Hey graham, do you see the bottom left panel with the check engine light and what appears to be the battery light? Its the left red one that looks like an oil lamp. I dont have any amber or red light, no error messages, only the cel which comes back to the o2 sensor and sometimes that lamp will come on. Thank you for the link!
That's the Oil Pressure Warning Light.

The correct operation is that it should be illuminated when the ignition is switched on and go out shortly after the engine starts. If it comes ON whilst the engine is running, this indicates a drop in oil pressure.

First thing to check is the oil level. If this is OK, then the sender unit or harness connection should be checked.

Graham

The following users liked this post:
00Stype (09-20-2012)
Old 09-20-2012, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by GGG
That's the Oil Pressure Warning Light.

The correct operation is that it should be illuminated when the ignition is switched on and go out shortly after the engine starts. If it comes ON whilst the engine is running, this indicates a drop in oil pressure.

First thing to check is the oil level. If this is OK, then the sender unit or harness connection should be checked.

Graham
Thank you for your input! I took the car to valvoline and went a head and got the oil changed and made sure they used the jaguar filter i bought and now there are no oil lamp lights, the cel even went off, and in reference to that handbook link, model years under 05 you cant get a book for, maybe theres a sub category i've overlooked.

Old 09-20-2012, 07:20 PM
GGG

Originally Posted by 00Stype
Thank you for your input! I took the car to valvoline and went a head and got the oil changed and made sure they used the jaguar filter i bought and now there are no oil lamp lights, the cel even went off, and in reference to that handbook link, model years under 05 you cant get a book for, maybe theres a sub category i've overlooked.
Good news on the oil pressure.

I have a faulted copy of the 2000 S-Type Driver's Handbook. The full text is there but none of the illustrations. You can download it from my MediaFire account using this link:

Free Cloud Storage - MediaFire

It might help until you can get hold of the full version.

Graham

Old 09-20-2012, 07:46 PM
Received 1,425 Likes on 1,067 Posts

I might have a spare 00 S Type Driver's Handbook Manual, the Leather Carry Case and other User Manuals - I need to look for it - send me a PM if interested.