S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Single mass flywheel

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2021 | 02:55 PM
|
Default Single mass flywheel

I have a Lincoln LS with the Duratec 3.0 V6 with a tired dual mass flywheel. The drivetrain is essentially identical to the s-type 3.0 manual. Lincoln discontinued the flywheel but the x200 flywheel is available however $700US. This drivetrain is in a track car where dual mass is not entirely desirable. I don't see that anyone offers a single mass conversion for the petrol 3.0 manual trans X200. I do see that one is available for the X400/x-type with the same engine. Does anyone know how different the flywheel is between the s-type and x-type? They do have different OEM part numbers (C2S4291 for the x-type and XR814347 for the s-type). Fidanza 186251 will bolt up but looks way to thin for the input shaft or driven disk splines to reach due to the thicker duel mass mechanism. Ideally I'd like to find a single mass flywheel that works. Thoughts?

Old 02-24-2021 | 01:36 PM
Veteran Member

I'm almost positive that anything transmission-wise from the X-Type is not gonna work at all, just too different. Might be better off looking at the S-Type diesel manual parts. IIRC there used to be an S-Type V6 drift car in the UK (on a different forum tho). Maybe with a little research you'd get lucky. I'll see if I can get a hold of him, (it was years ago), but if I find out anything else I'll post it to this thread

The following users liked this post:
S-Type Owner (02-25-2021)
Old 02-25-2021 | 10:02 AM
|

Transmission type shouldn't make a difference at the flywheel. I wouldn't be shocked if the x-type clutch disk had a different spline count or diameter but that would be easily solved. Even if the x-type ring gear had a different tooth count, that's manageable. Since the DMF has the spigot bearing in the flywheel, where that bearing is located is kind of critical. I suppose if the x-type flywheel spigot bearing location was closer to the trans than the s-type's then I could turn down the input shaft to match. But I don't know that. I'm trying to find out if anyone had compared the dimensions of the x-type DMF to the s-type DMF. As far as the diesel goes, there are a few issues with that for me. 1. They never sold the diesel here in the colonies. Diesel flywheels don't exist here. 2. The diesel appears to be a JLR/Peugeot design whereas the Duratec was a Porsche/Ford design. I have my doubts about whether the crankshaft bolt pattern is even the same. 3. Diesels generally have much heavier flywheels. At this point I'm more interested in chasing down the x-type/s-type comparison.

Old 02-25-2021 | 02:07 PM
Veteran Member

I was referring to the fact that the S-Type engine & transmission are mounted longitudinally as opposed to the transverse mounting in the X-Type. There's physically more space for everything inside the bellhousing. I know the starter motors are different, the tooth-count & thickness of the flywheel is probably different too. Not so sure about the clutchplate. You can find parts for the other variants of the S-Type not sold in the U.S. on the many different faces of eBay (try ebay.co.uk, for example). The diesel Jags got more love overall where they were sold. Maybe if you reached out to one of the companies that tuned one of those would have some info/guidance. Also, try researching the V12 Aston Martins. That might be a better place to look

Old 02-25-2021 | 02:13 PM
Veteran Member

But if you'd rather try to force X-Type parts onto the S-Type, by all means. Just be aware that the X-Type transfer case wasn't built to handle much more power than it got, so the other parts probably weren't either. Even if you managed to make everything fit, it probably wouldn't survive for very long

Old 02-25-2021 | 02:14 PM
Veteran Member

Better still, try asking Count Iblis. He knows more than anyone

Old 02-26-2021 | 10:52 AM
|

Originally Posted by Panthro
But if you'd rather try to force X-Type parts onto the S-Type, by all means. Just be aware that the X-Type transfer case wasn't built to handle much more power than it got, so the other parts probably weren't either. Even if you managed to make everything fit, it probably wouldn't survive for very long
FWIW, the difference between the 3.0 in the x-type and s-type is 7 ft/lb of torque and 9hp. In the outside chance that the x-type flywheel would fit, I'd venture that the extra 3% of power is within it's capabilities.