S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slotted and drilled brake rotors

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2017 | 09:18 AM
|
Default Slotted and drilled brake rotors

Recently, I replaced my solid rotors with slotted and drilled rotors. They disapate heat well and look cool. The issue is NOISE. They are noisey, and when you brake down from 60 or so, it sounds like you have a bad tire. After 1000 miles, enough. I replaced them yesterday with the Bosch Super Premium Quiet Cast rotors. I kept the same pads because they don't throw much dust. The results are about a 90% reduction in stopping noise. It is back to smooth as glass. Now, if someone wants these rotors, just pay shipping and I'll give them to you. The noise may not bother some, but I like quiet.

Old 01-27-2017 | 04:20 PM

Slotted and drilled rotors are purely for bling factor, if a person likes that kind of thing but offer no performance advantages. The noise you noted is a very common and well documented side effect.

Old 01-27-2017 | 05:08 PM
|

Originally Posted by Mikey
Slotted and drilled rotors are purely for bling factor, if a person likes that kind of thing but offer no performance advantages. The noise you noted is a very common and well documented side effect.
The new Bosch rotors are anodized so they don't rust and are very quiet. I do have a full set of bling (rotors) if someone wants them.

Old 01-28-2017 | 09:55 PM

So...after taking a close look at the picture you posted, I noticed you have Nexen tires installed. How do you like them?

I also installed drilled and slotted rotors on my S-type a few years back. The shop I usually go to was able to get me a complete set with pads for less than the regular rotors and pads. So, I decided to go for it. Sure, it looked blingy...but honestly, I didn't see much of a performance difference. But, alot of girls gave compliments...hahaha

Mine weren't too noisy though surprisingly...maybe my noise tolerance is off...

Old 01-28-2017 | 10:04 PM
|

Originally Posted by salmanezkhanz
So...after taking a close look at the picture you posted, I noticed you have Nexen tires installed. How do you like them?

I also installed drilled and slotted rotors on my S-type a few years back. The shop I usually go to was able to get me a complete set with pads for less than the regular rotors and pads. So, I decided to go for it. Sure, it looked blingy...but honestly, I didn't see much of a performance difference. But, alot of girls gave compliments...hahaha

Mine weren't too noisy though surprisingly...maybe my noise tolerance is off...
I really like the Nexus tires. Just bought my second set of them last week. I usually get new tires at 35,000 miles or so. The cp 672 are 65000 mile tires if you want to keep them that long. Now, about those girls.......

The following users liked this post:
salmanezkhanz (01-29-2017)
Old 01-29-2017 | 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by davidladewig
I really like the Nexus tires. Just bought my second set of them last week. I usually get new tires at 35,000 miles or so. The cp 672 are 65000 mile tires if you want to keep them that long. Now, about those girls.......
Cool. Will give Nexen a closer look then. Thanks!

Old 01-29-2017 | 09:24 PM
Thumbs up Make/Size/Stock Number?

Recently, I replaced my solid rotors with slotted and drilled rotors. They disapate heat well and look cool. The issue is NOISE. They are noisey, and when you brake down from 60 or so, it sounds like you have a bad tire. After 1000 miles, enough. I replaced them yesterday with the Bosch Super Premium Quiet Cast rotors. I kept the same pads because they don't throw much dust. The results are about a 90% reduction in stopping noise. It is back to smooth as glass. Now, if someone wants these rotors, just pay shipping and I'll give them to you. The noise may not bother some, but I like quiet.

What make/size/stock number are they? Have used them before on BMW and Benz w/o problems. I think sometimes the pad shims are the culprits for noise, and they do vibrate more with drilled/slotted rotors. I live a pleasant drive from B'ham, and might consider a trip to come get them if I can use them and you still have them. Thanks!

Old 01-29-2017 | 09:47 PM
|

Originally Posted by CarGuy
What make/size/stock number are they? Have used them before on BMW and Benz w/o problems. I think sometimes the pad shims are the culprits for noise, and they do vibrate more with drilled/slotted rotors. I live a pleasant drive from B'ham, and might consider a trip to come get them if I can use them and you still have them. Thanks!
Max Advanced Brakes KT 058433
Front is 11.75 or so and Rear is 11.25 or so.

About 1000 miles on them.

The following users liked this post:
CarGuy (01-30-2017)
Old 01-30-2017 | 09:03 AM

Max Advanced Brakes KT 058433
Front is 11.75 or so and Rear is 11.25 or so.

About 1000 miles on them.
Hmmmm. I think I may know what your problem was with these rotors. Look-up a set of Brembo or Stop Tech rotors and you will see what I mean. Thanks!
p.s. Used to live in Shelby Co. and work in B'ham. One of the best kept secrets in the country. A Great Place to live and work!

Old 01-30-2017 | 09:34 AM
|

Hmmmm. I think I may know what your problem was with these rotors. Look-up a set of Brembo or Stop Tech rotors and you will see what I mean. Thanks!
p.s. Used to live in Shelby Co. and work in B'ham. One of the best kept secrets in the country. A Great Place to live and work!
They look like they have slots and holes instead of just one or the other. PS: I live in Shelby County.

Old 01-30-2017 | 10:09 AM
Cool

They look like they have slots and holes instead of just one or the other. PS: I live in Shelby County.
I think the difference is in the quality/price. Similar Brembo and Stop Tech rotors are $75 - $100 apiece. From the noise you describe, yours were probably already warped before you even installed them, and this cannot be determined by the naked eye. If it was a rotor and pad kit, I would be leery of the pads too. Brakes are one (of many) areas that you get what you pay for, especially when it comes to automotive "high performance" parts and components. I learned this the hard way...

Old 01-30-2017 | 10:59 AM
|

I think the difference is in the quality/price. ..
I did not experience any vibration, only noise. Too much noise for me.