Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Smoked a 2010 Camaro SS

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 09:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts
Default Smoked a 2010 Camaro SS

Not that I condone road racing, the window of opportunity was gracefully provided to me by the owner of a 2010 Camaro SS. While traveling on the lightly populated highway home, a new brown in color Camaro SS appeared in my rearview mirror. He was driving somewhat agressively, i.e weaving through slower traffic, however pulled up to me in slower manner, pacing me for a minute. I quessed this activity as a "Sniff and smell" "What do we got here?". My STR is clean and mean. The stock wheels and tires wider than the Camaro SS with new 2 1/2" pipes leading to the magnaflows obviously visible from the undercarriage. There came an area of road where it curves uphill then straightens out and levels for 3/4 of a mile. I pulled up even to the SS at approx. 70 mph and in an instant we went at it. My stab of the pedal to the metal caused a kickdown to third and she took off like a friggin rocket! The STR gradually outpulled the SS, eventually leaving an approx. 50 yard lead at approx. 120 mph. I shut the speed competition down, popped the emergency blinkers on, he obliged with high beams blinking, we waved to each other and went our own ways. Admittedly, from a dead-start he would have embarrassed me, but this was his idea not mine.

Last edited by bfsgross; 08-01-2010 at 11:49 AM.
Old 07-29-2010, 09:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 220 Likes on 203 Posts

Better stock-up on those "get out of jail free" cards from some old Monopoly games. ;>))

Hey doesn't NY sieze and sell your car if it's over a certain amount?

Bob S.

Old 07-29-2010, 09:40 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The driver of the SS clearly didn’t know how to drive. I recently drove an SS and it will beat my 05 STR hands down. I’m not downing on my STR, but the SS is lighter and has more hp and is simply faster.
Next time, you might not be so lucky.

Old 07-29-2010, 09:41 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Good kill.

The new Camaros are absolutely beautiful. Love the throwback styling and big time torque. From a stop u get crushed but the STR was made for the Autobahn and there isn't much this country makes outside of the Corvettes that keeps kicking after 100 MPH.

Don't ask me how, but while driving back from the mechanic (check my 'car running hot' thread) me and my buddy in his Audi S4 positively crushed a base Porsche Carrera who aggressively tried to get in our game of tag. Porsche almost ran my buddy off the road. I was shocked on how I pulled away, but standard transmissions are slaves to bad drivers.

Old 07-29-2010, 09:48 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by Iluvmy05STR
The driver of the SS clearly didn’t know how to drive. I recently drove an SS and it will beat my 05 STR hands down.
From a 70MPH roll don't be so sure. 1/4 mile trap times on a SS from what I've seen are only about 110 MPH @ about 13.0. With a 0-60 time of 5 seconds you do the math.

Old 07-29-2010, 11:54 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ChrisSTR
From a 70MPH roll don't be so sure. 1/4 mile trap times on a SS from what I've seen are only about 110 MPH @ about 13.0. With a 0-60 time of 5 seconds you do the math.
I'm just speaking from my own real world experience. I've taken my STR through its paces and I know what it can do. I also enjoyed a day full of fun with an SS and could tell the difference.

Everyone always talks about performance specs from one written source or another, but it’s the real world driving experiences that count.

Of course I’m always glad to see an STR smoke a Camaro, Mustang, BMW, Porsche, etc; but I won’t be going up against an SS or a 2011 Mustang GT anytime soon.

Old 07-29-2010, 12:02 PM
Veteran Member

ILuvmyo5STR, Chris is correct. A stock (even yours) STR will wipe an SS Camaro, SR8 Dodge and Jeep from 70+ mph onward. As you may have noticed, the Camaro, Dodge, and Jeep have high center of gravities and geared and power banded for "STOP Light Brawling"...like the "Good Ole Days". On the other hand the STR is an "Autobahn Brawler". With it's lower center of gravity and highway gearing, and 400 hp and 400+trq. (which by the way is achieved sooner than the 6.2 litre Camaro SS, etc.) the computer shuts it down at 155 mph in "Drive". Slip the J-gate over to "5" and your looking at nearly 180 mph top end (documented on YouTube by a UK bloak). A few years ago four STR owners with stock cars ran official 13.1, 13.4, 13.6 1/4 mile times (track is in NJ and times can be viewed on Dragtimes.com). On another note...it's not Camaro's and Dodges that anyone needs to worry about...it's the new 400 hp Mustang GT 5.0. it easily kicks all their asses.

Last edited by bfsgross; 07-29-2010 at 12:05 PM.
Old 07-29-2010, 07:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That was a V6 Camaro you raced. An SS would smoke you, and I own an S-Type R.

Old 07-29-2010, 10:17 PM
Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by BrianS-TypeR
That was a V6 Camaro you raced. An SS would smoke you, and I own an S-Type R.

Maybe yours is broken.

Everything I've read put SS 0-60 times around 5, w/ a 13ish quarter (as Chris said earlier). There really should not be an issue keeping up with this car, ESPECIALLY at higher speeds.

I am assuming the "smoke you" and "V6" comment was a joke, if not, get your STR checked out. Its broken.

Old 07-29-2010, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by Bull27
Maybe yours is broken.

Everything I've read put SS 0-60 times around 5, w/ a 13ish quarter (as Chris said earlier). There really should not be an issue keeping up with this car, ESPECIALLY at higher speeds.

I am assuming the "smoke you" and "V6" comment was a joke, if not, get your STR checked out. Its broken.
FAIL

My R isn't broken, it's actually faster than stock. Stock R's run mid 13's, slower than the SS. It's all about the power to weight ratio. Try not to fail next time.

Old 07-29-2010, 11:36 PM
Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts

FAIL

My R isn't broken, it's actually faster than stock. Stock R's run mid 13's, slower than the SS. It's all about the power to weight ratio. Try not to fail next time.
No, its all about real world DATA coupled with who is behind the wheel.

Couple tips:

#1 Read post #7 again
#2 We dont use "fail" around here, makes you look like a pompous d*ck
#3 You said you would get "smoked", I dont know about you, but if the REAL DATA says the SS is faster by a couple tenths of a second, Ill take my chances.
#4 You either bought a 6 cyl badged as an "R", or its broken. Go get it fixed then come back.

God bless.

Old 07-30-2010, 12:44 AM
Veteran Member

Brian and all..We must not take my original post out of perspective. So let's all calm down. A few days ago I did have a speed competition with a 2010 Camaro SS (vanity plates read "SSERIOUS" (I would never reveal state where registered). Me and my 03 lightly modded STR did out pull the Camaro SS. It was a fair and square 75+ mph start, ending with my sizeable lead of approx. 50 yards (could have been more). The other driver and I diplomatically achnowledged the fun with flashing of my tail lights to his headlights, we even waved to each other.
My STR sports a heavily modified exhaust (Magnaflow 2 1/2" x-pipe, 2 1/2" pipe to Magnaflow mufflers. The only add ons needed and that will be performed are headers and high flow cats. The electronically actuated lower airbox baffle was removed and placement of a K&N panel air filter. I only use 93 octane gas. I must declare that the K&N filter along with the Magnaflow exhaust system really enhanced breathing and scavenging. There is a noticeable difference in the mid to upper power ranges...like someone took their hands away from her mouth. The Camaro SS's exhaust is no slouch either. It is deep breathing, emitting a very loud, and in my opinion, offensive bark.
Now let's compare the STR and the Camaro SS specs: Both are 4000 lbs (The base 314 hp 2010 V6 Camaro is 3750 lbs). The auto. trans. Camaro SS is 6.2 litres developing 400 hp; 426 hp with the manual trans. Engine torque is nearly identical at 400+ lb/ft with the STR developing full torque and hp sooner on the rpm scale. Believe it or not the STR has a slightly larger motor: Initially 4.2 litres, DOHC 32 valve 90 degree configuration with an additional 112 cubic inches coming from a positive displacement belt driven blower increasing total engine displacement to 6.5 litres; whilst providing 13 lbs. of forced air induction. Now you may be agrreing as to why a "Positive Displacement" supercharger is favored by some auto makers (Ford, MB, Saleen, Rousch, etc.). The Camaro SS I believe has a 3:55 or 3:73:1 final drive ratio (check me on this) to the STR's 2:88:1 final drive ratio (can you imagine the fun to be had with an LSD with 3:25:1 or better in your STR's rear?...ohhh).
Now let's talk physics: The Camaro SS will accelerate from 0-60 in 5.0 seconds while Jag pegs the STR at 5.3 seconds (again...can you imagine the potential of an STR with an LSD with 3:25:1 or lower gearing?). Some stock STR's have been clocked at 5.0 seconds or a tick lower on cold days with no mods except 15 lbs in the rear tires. The Camaro SS performs the 1/4 mile at 13.0 seconds flat while the STR can perform this feat anywhere between 13.1 to 13.6 seconds depending on who's driving and ambient air temperature (DragTimes.com).
We all can agree that after the 1/4 mile the Camaro SS has begun to run out of breath while the STR is just beginning to pounce. From 75 mph on, pound for pound, the more powerful car is the...STR.
Brian, one of my patients purchased an 03 STR with 55k shortly after seeing my 03 STR with 93k (purchased in May). I was confused as to why my car felt less peppier than his. There was this "bogging lean-out" condition during certain parts of the powerband. Changed the original 93k MotorCraft fuel filter...BAM! Holy S^&%! An entirely different car!...like 75 hp came out of nowhere. My mechanic had to blow hard into the fuel filter to force fuel out. I'm not kidding Brian, and slightly embarassed admitting that I never thought to change the fuel filter while giving attention to all else.
A firmer suspension is extremely important to better control the car but is also a means to avoid engine power from being absorbed into potential energy. The STR is too soft so H&R Sport springs are going on Thursday.
An STR with a free flowing tuned exhaust, port/polish/pulley, low temp thermostat, lowered with sport springs, and ECU tune is a Camaro SS, Dodge, etc. killer at any speed.

Last edited by bfsgross; 07-30-2010 at 01:00 AM.
Old 07-30-2010, 03:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 639 Likes on 441 Posts

You did a nice call bfs , thanks for your wise which is appreciated

STR is 4 door sedans and camaro SS is coupe , 2 doors .I have no idea whether it was a good comparison .
STR should be beast of its kind

That's it , I see this thread will go nowhere rather than dialogues which is not tolerated by forum team

Old 07-30-2010, 06:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,010 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  19.3 KB

Ok, Caddie was quite right to close this thread as a blnd man in the dark could see where it was going

A couple of points to note please!
We ALL have different ideas and opinions and they are exactly that, please remember that! Do NOT under any circumstances put any other members down or name call.....continuance of this will get you banned from site!
Bfsgross ended the discussion by putting across his comments in a controlled and informative way....we should all do the same
As a rule of thumb - please rethink / re read any post before you submit

Old 07-31-2010, 05:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,010 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  19.3 KB

This thread re opened at request of bfsgross.

Please remember to re read any post before you submit and definitely no name calling etc. We all have our own opinions and they will not always be the same as others....thats life, lets deal with it.
Anyone found to contravene these simple rules / requests will be removed from the site.

Old 07-31-2010, 10:08 PM
Veteran Member

Folks, We've read of STR owner experiences, thoughts and fears of the STR not having the metal to deal or compete with it's competition or later model muscle. Well, I feel compelled to negate this stigma with encouragement and showing you how to modify your STR in a systematic affordable fashion. I was nervous prior to and during my recent encounter with a 2010 Camaro SS. Not only did it look mean it sounded mean. The ability to out pull it from 75 mph through 120 mph gave me the confidence that one day I will transform my STR in to a boulevard bruiser as the Camaro SS.
The 2011 Mustang GT direct injected 5.0 has a similar engine configuration as the STR, but minus a blower. How did a 5.0 kick the butt of the 6.2 litre Camaro SS, Dodge, and Jeep SRT V8 in 0-60 and 1/4 mile?

Old 08-01-2010, 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by bfsgross
The 2011 Mustang GT direct injected 5.0 has a similar engine configuration as the STR, but minus a blower. How did a 5.0 kick the butt of the 6.2 litre Camaro SS, Dodge, and Jeep SRT V8 in 0-60 and 1/4 mile?
1. Lighter car.
2. Direct injection.

Old 08-01-2010, 07:42 AM
Veteran Member

1. Lighter car.
2. Direct injection.
Possibly gearing as well. That could help to explain the loss of accel at higher speeds. But you can't repeal the laws of physics. The STR at 4,000 lbs is quite a load to get moving. Perhaps Ford is sandbagging a bit with their HP claims?

But that's OK. I had a ride in new blower Bentley at the track a month ago and it outpaced some very fast Lamborghinis. It weighed 4,800 lbs. It also had around 650HP. It handled very well too. So there's hope.

Bob S.

Old 08-01-2010, 07:47 AM
Veteran Member

Yes Brian and Bob, the 011 Mustang GT, at 3600 lbs. (375 lbs. lighter than Camaro SS and STR) is a lighter car and direct injection does allow it to produce more hp than without direct injection. It does 0-60 in 4.6 seconds and a 13 second 1/4 mile (an STR owner took his stock 05 STR to an official 13.1 1/4 mile at 105 mph. DragTimes.com). So what can/should we do about this? Lighten up the STR, employ or develop strategies to increase hp, trq. (increase blower efficiency, re-program ECU and TCM. etc.), closed differential (LSD) with more torque multiplication (lower final drive ratio), and advanced suspension geometry?
Let's face it, we understand the STR by far wasn't designed to compete with the Mustang, Camaro, Dodge, or Jeep in the 0-60 and 1/4 mile zone. But its gearheads like BrianS-TypeR, ttwotees, chrisSTR, myself, etc. who refuse to be intimidated by these platforms. We enjoy our STR's looks, ride, stereo, and prodigous hp and trq. But there's also the competitive side of us we emulate through our STR, and some of us more frequently happen across with boulevard bruisers. In fact, it's "us" who have the upper hand at a stop light. Imagine yourself at a light in your BMW, 010 Camaro SS, Dodge SRT8, MB, or Mustang V8, then pulling up besides you is this unfamiliar ride with "R" badges, low car height, fat tires, subtle reardeck spoiler, and 3" chrome tipped exhuast pipes emitting a deep authoritive tone. If you're in an American ride you may say to yourself "What's this? Jaguar S-Type R? It kind of looks like one of those Mercedes Benz AMG 500 hp/trq "Will Kick My Car's *** Kompressor Rides. Someones nervous....
Let's share in the development of our STR's. In the near future I see the STR nocking off sub 5 second 0-60 mph, mid 12 second 1/4 miles, and carving canyons. Wether we win or lose at the stop light or 1/4 mile...let's make it all fun.

Old 08-01-2010, 08:12 AM
Veteran Member

Lightening is either a very ugly or unbeleivably expensive set of changes to your car. I kind of think folks aren't going to want to do that to a reasonably nice looking car. Carbon fiber trunk lids and hoods if they're even available are probably not worth it.

I am interested in the LSD idea. I wonder how it will integrate with the existing TCS? If it just grips better and more evenly then I would think that the TCS will interviene less often? It also might help with the rear brake pad wear though I think the CATS system will still use that for stability control.

Lastly, a bigger, better blower with a suitable exhaust system that has the power operated bypasses for WOT conditions so that the car is completely civilized otherwise.

The usual drive line issues have to be examined as well as a good look a the cooling systems.

There are guys who have already done this exact configuration on a number of vehicles and that would be a good place to start. They probably aren't going to give their tunning secrets away. But they might come up with a comprehensive kit that's tested by a pro which you guys could buy.

To do it right so that it performs, stays together for a reasonable amount of time and can be driven in the winter and hot, hot summer reliably isn't going to be cheap.

I'm probably way low thinking $10-15K for something like that. Perhaps for a developed kit that sells 100 copies? For just a 50HP bump you do yourself maybe $5K. That might be enough to make you very happy too!

Quick Reply: Smoked a 2010 Camaro SS