S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Smoked a 2010 Camaro SS

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 09:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

Agreed Bob. The only shedding of poundage I would consider is removing the spare tire (I wouldn't). Avos may be on the verge of releasing a twin screw blower ($4-5k range) and low restriction throttle body tube, when coupled with a free flowing exhaust (I love my Magnaflow exhaust) and an ECU tune will more than satisfy our power demands (in the area of 470 rwhp). At anything close to this level an LSD is definitely required. I agree with you on the issue of money. The first to try will pay the most.

Old 08-01-2010, 09:43 AM
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Now let's compare the STR and the Camaro SS specs: Both are 4000 lbs (The base 314 hp 2010 V6 Camaro is 3750 lbs)
I checked out an SS the other day, mainly because they had a row of old chevelles sitting outside for sale (and one particularly nice 454). I sat in one of the Camaros, which I hit my head on the roof about 3 times, but the dealer told me they weigh around 3500lbs. (however, quick internet search confirmed your figure)

Personally, I think the Camaro looks OK but I wouldn't buy one. It felt much nicer sitting in the challenger srt-8. Recently, I've been considering an S55 AMG, seemed like a comparative alternative to the STR.

Old 08-01-2010, 09:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 220 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by bfsgross
(in the area of 470 rwhp)
That's better than the current 2011 "R" type Jags that have the latest blower technology, direct injection and 5 liters.

Might be a wee bit optomistic ... ;>)

Yer gonna need a big cooling systems update too!

Maybe a set of roof mounted intercoolers!

Have fun.

Bob S.

Old 08-01-2010, 11:45 AM
Veteran Member

Roof mounted intercoolers? How come I didn't think of this? LOL! The 470 hp figure was given to us by AVOS. He may have meant 470 at the crank? 470 hp at the wheels would translate to approx. 525 hp at the crank. You know, it sounds as if he's getting close to a STR twin screw blower with a modified intake that may be worth close to 100 hp (with an ECU dyno tune). The MB AMG 55 is a beast...somewhere in the 475 hp 525 lb/ft trq range if my memory serves me correct? I'd be jealous if you picked one up.
Initially I'm excited by the aggressive front end look of the Camaro SS, then boredom quickly sets in. I'm not turned on by the Camaro's and Dodge R/T high body look. Like you, I'd take the Dodge Challenger SRT8...helps that I'm a big fan of "Vanishing Point" starring Barry Neuman.

Last edited by bfsgross; 08-01-2010 at 11:48 AM.
Old 08-01-2010, 01:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I love my STR. I love the comfort and styling. I do not want to drive a muscle car that suffers from a lack of interior room, poor bad weather handling and a rough ride.

I would, however, like to have my car move a little quicker off of the line and handle better through the corners. A Camaro and an STR are two completely different cars. You can't make a Camaro bigger not can you turn it into a four door. An STR can be made to handle better and be quicker.....which would you choose?

Old 08-01-2010, 01:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe someone can help me with this: what's the best way to launch an STR? Of course disabling the traction control is #1, but then what? Can we load the torque converter while holding the break down and increasing the rpm’s? I’ve never tried because I assumed that the computer wouldn’t let me.

Going back to the LSD- I think that it’s the only real performance weakness of the STR. I know it’s been discussed before but I haven’t seen anyone making any headway with finding a solution.

Old 08-01-2010, 03:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All this talk about modding our STR's. I'm waiting for a used XFR to drop into my price range. 510 horses, oh yeah.

Old 08-01-2010, 04:00 PM
Veteran Member

That makes a lot more sense to me as well. How long has the 520HP version been around though? Isn't it new for 2011, the 520HP version?

I like the XJ interior design a lot more than XF interior.

I also prefer the looks of the S-Type R but I'm just old ...

Bob S.

Old 08-01-2010, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by Staatsof
That makes a lot more sense to me as well. How long has the 520HP version been around though? Isn't it new for 2011, the 520HP version?

I like the XJ interior design a lot more than XF interior.

I also prefer the looks of the S-Type R but I'm just old ...

Bob S.
99% sure it's 510hp

0-60 4.7sec (mnf claim)

Old 08-01-2010, 07:49 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by BrianS-TypeR
99% sure it's 510hp

0-60 4.7sec (mnf claim)
Yup, I just looked at the brochure again. It says 510.
That explains it. I thought something felt like it was missing ...

Old 08-01-2010, 08:38 PM
Veteran Member

Ilovemy05str, I've found that with the DSC set in the disabled position; a quick but gradual depression of the gas pedal yielded the best 0-60 mph results. Mashing the pedal will result in time robbing wheel spin that sometimes is answered with a 2nd to 3rd bog. Excessive wheel spin can activate DSC though it was manually disabled. Some here including myself are researching an LSD differential. I thought I understood the late model Lincoln LS has a LSD? Or procuring a Ford 8.8 with LSD. The final drive gear ratio shouldn't be too low, maybe in the 3:35:1 range. The trans has low gears. I expect that this new year will see a breakthrough in a STR LSD. Yep, the new Jags are cool and powerful, but I still like my STR more. I jumped in my STR after leaving Lowes' today. A dude was walking behind my car checking her out as he walked behind her. I started her up and her deep authoritive note caught his attention. I drove by him on way out of parking lot and he was checking my STR out as I drove away. The STR frequently catches attention. Jag designed in just the perfect hints of muscle melded with sexy lines.

Last edited by bfsgross; 08-03-2010 at 07:59 PM.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:46 PM
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I like everything about the new XF's except how they look. The interior just looks less classy and just a little too futuristic for me. Then last week I went on Jag's website to show the XFR to a friend when I noticed the XJ has been redesigned. I am not pleased.

Old 08-03-2010, 08:11 PM
Veteran Member
Default New XF and XJ too futuristic

phaelax, my sentiment too. I conveyed the same feeling to others here. When I visited Jag for a remap of ECU and TCM I checked out the new Jags. The XF's in my opinion bared very little resemblance to Jags basic classic design cues that most are familiar with. Looked too Fordish. I guess folks like us should be content with our "classic" Jags?
On another note. I spoke today with the Jaguar service manager. He said that besides the Lincoln LS sharing the same platform as the S-Type, he mentioned the now discontinued Thunderbird did too. My question to him which he was not able to answer was wether these cars possesed a limited slip differential? He said he was sure someone will find the answer to this sooner or later via indepth spec sheets concerning these cars, especially a Ford tech or service person.
Final note: a late model BMW335 new better to screw with me today.

Old 08-03-2010, 08:13 PM
Veteran Member

I agree with on the XF interior though the XFR drives wonderfully.
I like the interior of the new XJ a lot more. The exterior not as much but the 470 hp version is a genuine hoot to drive. I'm a new owner of a 2005 S-Type R and I am enjoying the car but the new XJ is that much better. Just more than I can manage.

Bob S.

Old 08-03-2010, 09:34 PM
Veteran Member

The 2007 XJ R (470 hp) looks cool. Did it rip?

Old 08-04-2010, 02:13 AM
Veteran Member

You mean the 2011 XJ with 470HP? That's what I drove. The 2011 XJR with 510HP wasn't out yet. The 470HP felt quite substantial as the car only weighs maybe 100lbs more than the S-Type R. The paddle shifters and the transmission logic was very well done. The electronic suspension too. But it was a limited drive of 40 minutes between the two of us, no track time. I did drive the XFR on the track for 2 laps and a total of 3 miles. It's powerfull but other than that I can't say much. I spent too little time in that car. The Instructors burnt rubber almost the entire way around the track. I just left it in automatic mode.

Bob S.

Old 08-04-2010, 06:04 AM
Veteran Member

Eventually I'll need their engines transplanted into my STR! (LOL).

Old 08-04-2010, 07:09 AM
Veteran Member

Eventually I'll need their engines transplanted into my STR! (LOL).
See post 27
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...4&postcount=27

It just costs a lot.

Might be worth it just for those AC seats with all the "lovely" weather we've been having this summer.

Bob S.

Old 08-04-2010, 01:12 PM

Not that I condone road racing, the window of opportunity was gracefully provided to me by the owner of a 2010 Camaro SS. While traveling on the lightly populated highway home, a new brown in color Camaro SS appeared in my rearview mirror. He was driving somewhat agressively, i.e weaving through slower traffic, however pulled up to me in slower manner, pacing me for a minute. I quessed this activity as a "Sniff and smell" "What do we got here?". My STR is clean and mean. The stock wheels and tires wider than the Camaro SS with new 2 1/2" pipes leading to the magnaflows obviously visible from the undercarriage. There came an area of road where it curves uphill then straightens out and levels for 3/4 of a mile. I pulled up even to the SS at approx. 70 mph and in an instant we went at it. My stab of the pedal to the metal caused a kickdown to third and she took off like a friggin rocket! The STR gradually outpulled the SS, eventually leaving an approx. 50 yard lead at approx. 120 mph. I shut the speed competition down, popped the emergency blinkers on, he obliged with high beams blinking, we waved to each other and went our own ways. Admittedly, from a dead-start he would have embarrassed me, but this was his idea not mine.
Nice kill! That's very impressive on pulling the SS around 10 carlengths from 70-120...that's usually the LSx's time to shine and you walked it like a dog!

Old 08-04-2010, 03:11 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks vettkiller, I'll never know if he had the automatic @ 400 hp or the stick @ 426 hp, whatever the case; between 75 mph and 120 mph the STR ruled. The STR's power band is pretty steep in the 3000 to 6000 range. As STR owners can attest; at 75 mph; pedal to the metal kicks her down to 3rd letting all hell break loose, quickly gittin her well into the triple digits; a sign of an ability to breath heavily thanks to the blower exhaling through hi-flow heads. Transmission and rear gear ratio selection puts it all together making the STR an excellent mid-range to top end sleeper. Now if we can git her to launch hard (LSD) and shift at our will....?
At the present I'm contemplating wether to port/polish/pulley the blower or wait till AVOS releases his twin screw blower and modified air intake tube which along with an exhaust and an ECU dyno-tune "may" yield 100 hp and trq. I believe I read Eurotoys sells a larger charge cooler?

Last edited by bfsgross; 08-04-2010 at 03:39 PM.

Quick Reply: Smoked a 2010 Camaro SS