S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

so i crashed my jag.. help with finding parts?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 03:17 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default so i crashed my jag.. help with finding parts?

dont really want to get into details as im still a litttle shaken up by it.. i feel like ****.
but **** happens, im blessed to be ok, and thank god I, nor anyone else, was injured.. cant say the same for my Jag though.. The body damage isnt too bad. just some paint chipping.. my front right side rim is badly dinged and my tire is completety shot as it punctured on the sidewall when running into the curb. hopefully i can get the rim fixed. if not e-bay has a new zeus for $599
the next day I had my uncle come take a look at it and after a quick inspection the list of parts to be replaced is as follows:
-Radiator
-a/c condenser
-a radiator/coolant hose (still to be determined)
-lower control arm
-18 inch zeus rim (maybe, hopefully it can be fixed)

i called my local radiator supplier and was told that there is no aftermarket radiator available. a genuine Jag radiator will cost me $380.!! i could only imagine what something like the lower control arm will cost me.. im waiting for a call back from a local junk yard for a quote on used parts.. i checked e-bay and a used lower control arm is about $130 however its off a n/a s-type.. i have the R.. does that matter?? any help here is greatly appreciated guys..
this forum has always been great.. i look forward to any suggestions..

Old 01-23-2012, 03:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

I have a 2003 STR, so feel your pain. The car can be repaired/replaced, thank g-d you and friends are ok. Seek a doctor of chiropractic (DC) to access and adjust/decompress your spine even if no pain or dysfunction is perceptible. I have all my accident patients do this as both a corrective and preventive measure. The good news is there are Jag salvage yards. IMO, Coventry West (Atlanta, GA.) is the best for service and price on both new and used Jag parts. They'll likely have the radiator, etc. Then there is Jaguar Heaven (CA.) They charge more than Coventry West. Jagbits; they charge 2X for the same parts from the same salvage yards that you can call and procure yourself. All will work out bro.

Last edited by bfsgross; 01-23-2012 at 04:02 PM.
Old 01-23-2012, 04:04 PM
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Why not report it to insurance and take it to a highend body shop and let them worry about it???

Old 01-23-2012, 04:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,531 Likes on 3,941 Posts

Sorry to hear your woes!

Also sorry but I think the arm may well be specific to the STR. You can grab JEPC or look here http://www.drivehq.com/web/jfenley/P..._2000-2005.pdf

Old 01-23-2012, 04:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,703 Likes on 1,211 Posts

Glad to read that everyone came out of it alive.

Don't forget about Nalley Jaguar (forum sponser) and you do get a 15% discount for being a member here, don't forget free shipping to boot with orders over 75.00.

Good luck

Old 01-23-2012, 07:24 PM

thanks for all the reply fellas..

BFsgross - Thanks for the suggestions, i checked with all 3. jag bits is indeed the most expensive, followed by jagheavan which is closer to home but even their prices are alot more then CW.. i didnt get to speak with somone personally at CW as they are currently closed but just by browsing through their online store, they have the best prices of the 3. ill def give them a call tommorow.

xk8orlando - the car is only has liability/uninsured coverage. since it has a rebuilt/salvaged title. the insurance company wouldnt provide full coverage on the vehicle.

jagv8- all the used parts sellers provide this piece of info in regards to the lower control arm.. "will fit S TYPE 03 from VIN M45255" could this possibly mean that from this VIN range forward the n/a & supercharged lower control arms are the same, and aything before this VIN is n/a and "R" specific?

joycejag- Nalley was also closed when i called, but given the fact that it an actual Jag dealer, would it be safe to say that even taking into consideration the "forum member discount" ill still be paying an arm & leg?

regardless, i appreciate all of your help.

Old 01-23-2012, 07:53 PM
Veteran Member

Coventry should have most of the parts needed used, but new also.

Old 01-24-2012, 01:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,531 Likes on 3,941 Posts

The redesign S-Type (2002.5MY, 2003 in USA) was from VIN M45255. Major suspension changes as well as a lot more. All production STRs are after that VIN.

I would not rely on getting the right suspension part without doing some careful checking. For sure quite a lot of the suspension parts are unique to the STR (generally, stronger). At least some have SC or the like stamped on them.

Old 01-24-2012, 03:51 AM
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

www.car-part.com to search many salvage yards in northern america

www.tirerack.com

The following users liked this post:
jag79 (01-24-2012)
Old 01-24-2012, 03:56 AM

with a broken control arm I'm thinking maybe frame damage. Take a good look at the frame before you start buying parts for this car, it mite not be worth fixing especially since it has a salvage title, after all your repairs it will only be worth around 3k wholesale. I would take a serious look at useing this for a parts car and buying another srt

Old 01-24-2012, 06:22 AM
Veteran Member

Ditto. However, the aluminum was used for the control arms for both weight savings and its ability to break away to avoid chassis damage. Today, vehicles are considered a total loss with less monetary damage than years yonder. One can have a STR with six grand of damage to the body and be written off.

Old 01-24-2012, 11:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 86 Likes on 61 Posts
Default INfo about Full coverage Insurance, bent repair.

Originally Posted by STRaightJAGgin
thanks for all the reply fellas..

xk8orlando - the car is only has liability/uninsured coverage. since it has a rebuilt/salvaged title. the insurance company wouldnt provide full coverage on the vehicle.
.....Thank God you and your passengers came out unscathed from that crash. I was just browsing through here and noticed you said your car has a Salvage/Rebuilt title. Progressive Insurance does give you full coverage, b/c one of my cars had a Salvage/Rebuilt title on it. Even if its your fault, you just pay the deductible of whatever you choose, I chose the $500 deductible option for my plan. So basically with a Salvage/Rebuilt title Progressive will give you Comprehensive and Collision coverage. Something to think about in the future bro. Car-part.com is really a good site for used parts, I used them before for my 03" STR. Good luck man, hope everything works out for you. I know a really good place here in Orlando that fixes bent rims for dirt cheap. Bent Rim Repair Corp.|Welcome|

Last edited by jag79; 01-24-2012 at 11:42 AM.
The following users liked this post:
bfsgross (01-24-2012)
Old 01-24-2012, 08:59 PM
Veteran Member

Way to go Jag79. Great advice and reference.

Old 01-25-2012, 12:36 AM

I would not recommend progressive. I had full coverage with that company when I was a teenager, my $4500 car was totaled out, progressive refused to pay. 6 months down the road after I hired a attorney they ended up paying. I guess they figured a kid wouldnt hire an attorney over a inexpensive car. The rates are cheap for a reason.

Old 01-25-2012, 05:58 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks. I almost forgot the majority of insurance companies suck.

Old 01-25-2012, 08:23 AM
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by jag79
.....Thank God you and your passengers came out unscathed from that crash. I was just browsing through here and noticed you said your car has a Salvage/Rebuilt title. Progressive Insurance does give you full coverage, b/c one of my cars had a Salvage/Rebuilt title on it. Even if its your fault, you just pay the deductible of whatever you choose, I chose the $500 deductible option for my plan. So basically with a Salvage/Rebuilt title Progressive will give you Comprehensive and Collision coverage. Something to think about in the future bro. Car-part.com is really a good site for used parts, I used them before for my 03" STR. Good luck man, hope everything works out for you. I know a really good place here in Orlando that fixes bent rims for dirt cheap. Bent Rim Repair Corp.|Welcome|

Not endorsing Progressive but there are lots of companies that will insure rebuilt cars. Plus I don't see how they would ever know about the title unless you told them or the car was totaled. All I have ever been asked for is the VIN #, current and anual mileage .

Right now we have 4 cars with Reconstructed (what you guys call salvage) titles. Tell Laurie her Jag is worth $3000.00 and I would sugest you start running while you're talking.

Old 01-25-2012, 06:20 PM

thank for the replies and suggestions guys.. JAG79 especially, thanks to your advice, i took the time to contact quite a few insurance companies (including progressive) and it turns out that some do indeed offer full coverage on salvage titles.. after shopping around, State Farm seems to offer best coverage at a lower price.. ill be starting a new policy with them in a few weeks when my current policy expires. if only i had known this sooner..

finding used parts has proven to be quite a difficult task as most salvage junk yards have plenty n/a S-types but very few to none "R"s

ive already purchased an A/C condenser from "Radiator Classics" here in CA. it should be here tomorrow. they have an aftermarket radiator for the S-type priced at $93 but cant guarantee proper fitment for the "R".. could anyone confirm if both the n/a and "R" s-type radiator are the same??

bodyman - when the insurance company runs the VIN, the rebuilt/salvaged title shows up, so wheter or not i inform them of it, theyll find out.

and lastly, i finally got to take some pictures of the damage (its been raining the past few days, including DAY OF)

comments on the damage, is there any clear frame/chasis damage?
once again, thank you all for your help.

Old 01-25-2012, 07:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 86 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by STRaightJAGgin
thank for the replies and suggestions guys.. JAG79 especially, thanks to your advice, i took the time to contact quite a few insurance companies (including progressive) and it turns out that some do indeed offer full coverage on salvage titles.. after shopping around, State Farm seems to offer best coverage at a lower price.. ill be starting a new policy with them in a few weeks when my current policy expires. if only i had known this sooner..

finding used parts has proven to be quite a difficult task as most salvage junk yards have plenty n/a S-types but very few to none "R"s

ive already purchased an A/C condenser from "Radiator Classics" here in CA. it should be here tomorrow. they have an aftermarket radiator for the S-type priced at $93 but cant guarantee proper fitment for the "R".. could anyone confirm if both the n/a and "R" s-type radiator are the same??

bodyman - when the insurance company runs the VIN, the rebuilt/salvaged title shows up, so wheter or not i inform them of it, theyll find out.

and lastly, i finally got to take some pictures of the damage (its been raining the past few days, including DAY OF)

comments on the damage, is there any clear frame/chasis damage?
once again, thank you all for your help.
Hey bro I'm glad you found a good Insurance Company that will give you full coverage. I didn't mean to sound like I was endorsing Progressive, but in comparison to all Insurance Companies they were the cheapest thus far for me.
I found one Radiator of 03" it sounds like it says its for the R in the description for $125, grade A, take a look at it and confirm:

Search Results

The stock# is K12189.

Take it easy.

Old 01-25-2012, 08:41 PM
Veteran Member

STRaightgin, you lucked out with no visible frame damage. Bring her to a reputable/experienced 4-wheel alignment shop.

Old 01-25-2012, 08:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,366 Likes on 1,864 Posts

I don't have any connection to the seller but finding a salvage STR is pretty rare. Have you seen this one on EBay?

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

Quick Reply: so i crashed my jag.. help with finding parts?