S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So long to my S type R.... end of a fun and frustrating trip...

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 01:13 PM
Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
Default So long to my S type R.... end of a fun and frustrating trip...

Hey guys. Well, my wife and I bought our house recently so I now have a bit of a budget for some new cars now that we're done trying to qualify. I'm probably going to be trading in the Jag for a Chevy Volt for the wife and I'll probably be trading in our BMW once my Corvette sells down the road and I'll be buying a 911 or a Z06 vette.

The S type R was my second s type and I had fun with it. I took it to the drags twice, had it on the dyno and had some fun on the street with it. I had some fun doing bolt ons and making intake tubes and helping and meeting the members on here from all over the world. It's been fun at the drags being made fun of by the announcer and then stomping on Mustangs, M3's and other cars.

On the down side, the coolant hose under the blower went a week out of the gate (shady sales deal), the car was involved in a fender bender a few months later, and I've been having a hell of a time getting my left front headlight fixed correctly by my shop. They changed the "exciter ring" and I've had issues since. I believe that they fixed it but I don't have enough miles on the car yet.

One thing that I was bummed out about was the lack of a tuner that could customize a tune to take advantage of my cars higher boost, alky injection and snakebite supercharger setup. It's been a roller coaster of ups and downs with people claiming to be able to do it, only to find out that they didn't know crap about tuning and were complete frauds. I think that one thing, the tune would have unlocked a decent amount of power considering how much power it's added on my other cars.

Anyhow, as I'm heading off here, I'm going to be listing my non-stock parts or extra parts on the classifieds, so if anyone needs any of that stuff, just let me know. I'll be taking it off unless I find someone who wants the car as it sits. I have the mirror polished intake tube, extra front zeus wheel and tires, alcohol injection setup and a kenwood sub amp that works perfectly integrating into our stock system. I'd do a swap on my rims for stockers and cash if I found someone local.

Here's some pics of the journey and the car....

Attached Thumbnails So long to my S type R.... end of a fun and frustrating trip...-exterior-3-22-13.jpg   So long to my S type R.... end of a fun and frustrating trip...-interior-3-22-13.jpg   So long to my S type R.... end of a fun and frustrating trip...-interior-3-22-13-2.jpg   So long to my S type R.... end of a fun and frustrating trip...-new-wheels.jpg   So long to my S type R.... end of a fun and frustrating trip...-car-dyno.jpg  

So long to my S type R.... end of a fun and frustrating trip...-car-drags-2012.jpg   So long to my S type R.... end of a fun and frustrating trip...-intake-tube-installed-without-cover.jpg  

Last edited by qwiketz; 03-22-2013 at 01:29 PM.
Old 03-22-2013, 01:29 PM

Some of the things I did while I owned the car was:

-replaced the tube under the blower
-had the snakebite package for the blower installed
-added alcohol injection
-magnagflow mufflers were already on the car
-added 19" wheels
-added the intake tube
-replaced both front hubs
-repainted the car
-added the kenwood amp and subwoofer
-replaced the rear door speakers with Rockford fanatik q components
-changed the front left headlight
-installed h&r springs

here's more photos! BTW, the last photo is of one of the blower gaskets that split and was leading to the lean codes and check engine light and lower performance.

Attached Thumbnails So long to my S type R.... end of a fun and frustrating trip...-changing-hub.jpg   So long to my S type R.... end of a fun and frustrating trip...-dyno-runs.jpg   So long to my S type R.... end of a fun and frustrating trip...-intake-tube.jpg   So long to my S type R.... end of a fun and frustrating trip...-intake-tube-installed.jpg   So long to my S type R.... end of a fun and frustrating trip...-intake-tubes.jpg  

So long to my S type R.... end of a fun and frustrating trip...-split-gasket.jpg  
Old 03-22-2013, 01:40 PM
Veteran member
Received 251 Likes on 220 Posts

Sorry to hear that!! We will miss ya!

(let me know if you want to sell the alky setup)

Old 03-22-2013, 01:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

Ok, I understand Qwiketz. You've been a loyal forum member. Helped tremendously in troubleshooting and development. We'll miss you...unless of course you should pick up an XKR instead of the crappy Vette or Porsche? Otherwise, best to you and your bride.

Last edited by bfsgross; 03-22-2013 at 01:56 PM.
Old 03-22-2013, 05:50 PM
Received 181 Likes on 138 Posts

Was a pleasure reading your posts and dealing with you, Russ, and I have your intake tube to remind me of those fun days. Stay well, and let us know if that Volt really meets your expectations.

Old 03-22-2013, 06:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 567 Likes on 514 Posts

Happy trails, mi amigo! Don't be a stranger.

Old 03-22-2013, 08:48 PM
Received 101 Likes on 73 Posts

My intake tube will always be a Qwiketz intake tube; best mod ever, thx for the fun.

Old 03-23-2013, 05:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,710 Likes on 1,212 Posts

To all good things must come to an end.

Good luck in your endeavors. Thank you for your contributions here on JF, you will be missed as a high count poster. Don't be a stranger.

Old 03-23-2013, 12:41 PM

Hey guys. Thanks for the kind words. I'll check back periodically to help out here. I'm optimistic that you guys will get the coveted "tune" at some point. I'll also let you know who ends up buying my car. Even if I remove the alky injection and intake tube, it's still got a snakebite so it'll be good for testing.

Speaking of testing, the one thing I resent is not testing on the dyno with no air filter to see what this thing is really capable of.. Maybe I'll run it one last time!

The following users liked this post:
bfsgross (03-23-2013)
Old 03-23-2013, 01:52 PM
Veteran Member

Please do...dyno without air filter. In a quick summation: was the "Snake Bite" worth it.

Old 03-24-2013, 09:52 AM
Received 251 Likes on 169 Posts

Is the dyno sheet you posted taken with all the mods listed, including meth injection and snake bite kit?

Did you get their full eaton upgrade when doing the snake bite kit, such as stage 4? porting and all that?

A tune isn't absolutely necessary for more gains with the STR; more airflow will make more power, the ecu does adapt to that, although the factory eaton m112 seems to struggle to provide any additional flow,

Old 03-24-2013, 12:06 PM
Veteran Member

Agree that the ECU does adapt, but comes with factory pre-set limiters that adaptation doesn't cover. An ETG ECU tune uncaps the limiters.

Old 03-24-2013, 12:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,068 Likes on 761 Posts

The STR doesn't have limiters as far as I know, who is claiming that?

Old 03-24-2013, 02:38 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any better shots of your wheels? If your willing to ship and the price isn't crazy, i'll take them.

Old 03-24-2013, 03:26 PM
Veteran Member
Default Timing, etc.

Originally Posted by avos
The STR doesn't have limiters as far as I know, who is claiming that?
Redline limited as well as timing and air fuel ratio.

Old 03-24-2013, 11:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,068 Likes on 761 Posts

I see, but you can't speak of a limitation of the timing/a/f ratio.

With stock boost it might have too much safety/reserve (so one can get more power), but with higher boost levels it might just be perfect (pending on the boost levels of course), and then you don't get any increase anymore with a tune. Unless you go so far that you need to enrichen the fuel and retard the timing to avoid detonation.

Redline adjustment would also mean changing the TCM's shift points, now that's a challenge, and considering the power drop with the eaton at higher rpms, this region isn't interesting power wise anyway imho.

In other words don't hook yourself up that you need a tune to quickly.

Last edited by avos; 03-24-2013 at 11:57 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by avos:
bfsgross (03-26-2013), GT42R (03-25-2013)
Old 03-25-2013, 07:21 AM
Received 251 Likes on 169 Posts

time for a certain someone to stop preaching about all the supposed benefits of the ecu tune, and get the ecu tuning group tune for their STR and see what gains, if any, are made.

Old 03-25-2013, 07:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,536 Likes on 3,945 Posts

And what happens to the AFR since it could be a disaster.

Old 03-26-2013, 09:39 AM

I agree, it's time for a certain someone to fork out the cash and get there supposed tune. I wanted a tuner option to take advantage of the alcohol injection that I installed. In the past I've seen about 50 to 75 hp on a 500 hp range. A lot of that has to do with the crappy 91 octane gas here in California in being able to add more timing. On a stock application, I don't believe that there's nearly as much to be gained. In fact with the stock tune, sometimes it'll cost you power but the car will be more consistent(with the alky). That is unless the added boost does lean things out.

Last edited by qwiketz; 03-26-2013 at 10:58 AM.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 567 Likes on 514 Posts

^^^ I'd me most interested in seeing if the alky injection could combat the six to eight months of hot humid air we have to deal with around here...

Quick Reply: So long to my S type R.... end of a fun and frustrating trip...