S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So my motor sized up / blew ~ now what?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 12:32 AM
tdc
Received 63 Likes on 18 Posts
Unhappy So my motor sized up / blew ~ now what?

Hey team..
Well to make a long story short I was racing this guy in a vet between Northern and southern California on hwy 5 yesterday and things were going GREAT (most of you would have been proud!), we had the road open to ourselves and we let then goooooo..

Unfortunately my car didn’t make it to back LA.. I ended up with what I thought was electrical issues shutting my car down after a pre-determined speed, IDK?? Well….. when I had the opportunity to review things this morning my worst fear came true, CRAP! I seized / blew my motor.. (For what its worth).. there were no warning sings, no lights going off on the dash, no codes popping up.. nothing. It just coasted to stop and died on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere!.

So what should I do team? I already went out today a bought a jeep to get by / until I figure out what I’m going to do..

Hey, I’m sorry.. I had to get back to so-Cal to the family, so I left my car / jag at my parents house in Sonoma.

I’m really thinking I only have two options.
  • Research for a new motor? Just off the cuff, I’m thinking $3500-4k (??)
or
  • Just cut my losses and get what I can for it? I’m thinking if I put it on craigs list someone will want it..
Any thoughts? What would you do?

Thanks for your time team..

Tdc..

Old 02-21-2011, 01:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 507 Likes on 259 Posts

Is this a 2000 4.0 v8?

Do your self a favor and search salvage yards for a 3.9l out of a 2000-2000 Lincoln LS. I bet you find one for under $1500. That way you don't pay the "Jaguar Tax" for the same motor.

Btw, nice TJ...

Take care,

George

Old 02-21-2011, 02:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,551 Likes on 3,958 Posts

Any chance of more detail about why you think it's seized / blown?

Lack of oil?

Tensioners failed?

Overheated?

Old 02-21-2011, 04:57 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by jagv8
Any chance of more detail about why you think it's seized / blown?

Lack of oil?

Tensioners failed?

Overheated?
Yes, what he said! More investigation is needed.. Based on your short explanation, I don't think you blew it up... See, as frustrating as these cars are, there is a benefit to all the complex electronics... If something starts to go "wrong" it will shut down to "save itself"...

May only be a minor issue....but may not....

Normally catastrophic engine failure is accompanied by noise, smoke, then death...Doesn't just shut off....

Old 02-21-2011, 05:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

X2 Ya may just have an electrical issue...

Old 02-21-2011, 07:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,643 Likes on 1,068 Posts

I think Noodlearm knows a dealership in MI that can fix you up!

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Only engines I'm aware of that have ever siezed/locked up without a great cacaphony and a plume of steam and smoke are the ones that sit dormant for a number of years. Even then, a dose of rifle bore cleaner in each cylinder, a week's wait, and decent sized hammer might get you going again....you didn't let it sit at your parents' 5 years or so, eh?

Old 02-21-2011, 07:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

What he said.

Old 02-21-2011, 07:54 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[quote=aholbro1;308984]I think Noodlearm knows a dealership in MI that can fix you up! quote]

ROFL

Old 02-21-2011, 08:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,715 Likes on 1,215 Posts

I feel for you tdc. Does she turn over at all, if not hand crank it over manually with the crankshaft bolt? Check the compression in each cylinder. I agree with the above I would be worried that its electrical.

Old 02-21-2011, 11:34 AM
tdc

hey guys.. I'm sorry it was late when I posted this up.. my apologizes..

The motor will not turn over. I removed all of the plugs and put a socket on the crank and it would not budge. I removed the valve covers to look at the belts, and everything looked solid, but would not budge, no hoses broken, or loss of fluid.

I'm thinking it had to be oil related.. again no warning signs at all.. I was shocked.. This car tells me when anything is wrong, so it came totally out of the blue..

I plugged in the computer to check / look for codes?? nothing??

I (really) wanted to remove the oil pan to take a look at things but I need to buy another car and drive 7hrs back home..

It was really weird… from the driver seat it appeared simply that all of my electrical just shut down, I thought I just blew a main fuse or something?

Am I missing something here team??

As for the LS motor, IDK, the whole smog thing concerns me.. I would love to find a motor for under 2k, I just don't think they exist?.

But today is a new day and I was going to go out and wash / wax the jeep.. hahaha

Last edited by tdc; 02-21-2011 at 11:37 AM.
Old 02-21-2011, 11:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,643 Likes on 1,068 Posts

ooh....sucks that you are 7 hrs' drive away from it. What rpm were you at when it shutdown? By your description, sounds like you lost lights and all elec. devices? Hot/dark/silent as we used to say of the ships...drawing a total blank on what kind of lock-up would take out battery power, too.

I would guess a Lincoln V8 would pass your smog tests since you already have the CA goods on the Jag and they should interface....but wow! do y'all ever have some screwy rules & regs out there! Good luck sorting it.

Keep us posted, this one even more interesting than Noodlearm's....Lots of new stuff to learn, unfortunately at your expense.....

Old 02-21-2011, 11:53 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by aholbro1
ooh....sucks that you are 7 hrs' drive away from it. What rpm were you at when it shutdown? By your description, sounds like you lost lights and all elec. devices? Hot/dark/silent as we used to say of the ships...drawing a total blank on what kind of lock-up would take out battery power, too.

I would guess a Lincoln V8 would pass your smog tests since you already have the CA goods on the Jag and they should interface....but wow! do y'all ever have some screwy rules & regs out there! Good luck sorting it.

Keep us posted, this one even more interesting than Noodlearm's....Lots of new stuff to learn, unfortunately at your expense.....
Wow... The lincoln V8 and the Jaguar V8 are the same EXACT motor in those years. Put the jaguar covers on it, end of story.

Now I don't know about Kalifornia and it's retarded smog laws in terms of motor swaps, BUT as long as your Jag PCM is ok, run that one. No vin swap or anything. It's the same car, same motor, same pcm. I would just pull up to the smog station and act as if the motor was never swapped, after all you swapped like for like.

Do they check engine blocks for vin castings? That's the only way anyone would be able to tell.

And Ahol - I have a feeling this is going to be another saga once this motor comes apart.

Take care,

George

Old 02-21-2011, 12:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,715 Likes on 1,215 Posts

tdc, I just looked up www.car-parts.com there are a few motors available in CA., I am just not sure where they are at exactly, right around the $2500.00 mark!

Old 02-21-2011, 12:09 PM
tdc

I'm must be missing something here guys, I'm sorry.. are you telling me that the LS 3.9 is the same as the 4.0, for a (2000)? I can just replace the tins and move on with life??

If so (COOL) I’ll look into getting an LS motor. As funky as California is they don't care what motor is in the car as long as it passes smog requirements for that year of car.. so if the smog stuff is all interchangeable.. it’s almost to good to be true..

Old 02-21-2011, 12:11 PM
tdc

Originally Posted by joycesjag
tdc, I just looked up www.car-parts.com there are a few motors available in CA., I am just not sure where they are at exactly, right around the $2500.00 mark!
Thank you for the link sir.. I'll check it now.. much appreciated..

Old 02-21-2011, 12:21 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by tdc
I'm must be missing something here guys, I'm sorry.. are you telling me that the LS 3.9 is the same as the 4.0, for a (2000)? I can just replace the tins and move on with life??

If so (COOL) I’ll look into getting an LS motor. As funky as California is they don't care what motor is in the car as long as it passes smog requirements for that year of car.. so if the smog stuff is all interchangeable.. it’s almost to good to be true..
YES, it is the exact same motor. 3996 cc. 2000-2002.

In 2003, Lincoln added VVT to the AJv8, and Jaguar bumped displacement to 4.2 as well as adding vvt. That's when they started to differentiate.

Lincoln rounded down, Jaguar rounded up.

In reality it was so the public wouldn't make the connection .

Take care,

George

The following users liked this post:
tdc (02-21-2011)
Old 02-21-2011, 12:22 PM
Veteran Member

I also know of a guy in Texas who has a 4.0 that had blown a head gasket at 67k miles or something stupid.

I don't think that he will use much of it, since there is currently an LS3 sitting in that engine bay.

Take care,

George

Old 02-21-2011, 12:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Old 02-21-2011, 12:43 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Enthusiast
He needs a 2000-2002 model year engine. 2003+ AJv8's have vvt, which his car doesn't. In other news, it's probably cheaper than the 2003 version.

Take care,

George

Old 02-21-2011, 12:50 PM
tdc

WOW thanks team... I do really appreciate the advise.. Thank you all so much..

I was actually just looking a new / recondiontioned jag motor on ebay for $2200..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...7347+&viewitem

List of Vehicles & Years applicable:
*1999-2001 Jaguar S Type 4.0L
List of machining processes performed:

*Engine and heads cleaned
*Surfaces renewed by milling
*Blocks bored and honed
*Blocks Resurfaced/decked
*Connecting Rods reconditioned
*New pin bushings installed
*Crank shaft ground and polished
*Cylinder heads pressure tested
*Heads checked for thickness
*Heads rebuilt with three angle valve grind
List of new master rebuild kit parts installed:

*New pistons
*New piston rings
*New rod bearings
*New main bearings
*New wrist pin bushings
*New thrust bearings
*New rear main seal
*New frost plugs
*New Oil pump
IDK..2200 for a long block sounds like a deal.. I just would need to see / make sure all of my existing components still work… So basically yeah it’s research day for me..

Thanks again team..

Quick Reply: So my motor sized up / blew ~ now what?