Sponsored by:

So my S-Type got a nose job..

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 08:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 506 Likes on 258 Posts
Default So my S-Type got a nose job..

Hey Guys,

Got my chrome mesh grille. I think It really adds to the look of the car. I bought the whole grille off of ebay, thinking it was an OEM Jag one, but it was a mina insert with the frame dremeled out. It still looks good, and this way I still have the ability to swap back and forth.

What do you guys think?

George

Attached Thumbnails So my S-Type got a nose job..-img00214-20100422-1847.jpg   So my S-Type got a nose job..-img00215-20100422-1847.jpg   So my S-Type got a nose job..-img00216-20100422-1848.jpg  
Old 04-23-2010, 08:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,364 Likes on 2,854 Posts

George,

Glad you're happy with it. I prefer the standard vertical-slat grill over the mesh version. The standard grill just looks sleeker and more aerodynamic to me. But that's just one guy's opinion. Enjoy your new grill, and you can always swap back-and-forth on a whim if you keep your original one. I assume that's a five-minute job....

Old 04-23-2010, 08:26 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jon89
George,

Glad you're happy with it. I prefer the standard vertical-slat grill over the mesh version. The standard grill just looks sleeker and more aerodynamic to me. But that's just one guy's opinion. Enjoy your new grill, and you can always swap back-and-forth on a whim if you keep your original one. I assume that's a five-minute job....
Yeah.. Two 10mm bolts on the two top "arms" , and two t30 torx screws that go into the back of the grill at mid height. (they are kind of a pain to get to, and be careful not to drop them), and then it slides up and out. I was actually thinking about spraying the mesh one body color like the STR's grilles. - What do you think of that? I like the look of the mesh, but it seems like its a bit too much chrome in the nose.

George

Old 04-23-2010, 08:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,703 Likes on 1,211 Posts

George, looks great glad you like it. FYI I am a chrome guy I would jazz the chrome up with the Mina headlight bezels!

Old 04-23-2010, 11:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 113 Posts

Atta boy, George. Glad you got a good deal on the grill. Looks good.

Old 04-23-2010, 12:14 PM
Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts

I love the mesh grills. No other cars on the market (except Bentley's) have them. They are unique and look great.

I dont know what you mean by it being too chrome, is it not like a gunmetal like mine? Definately a no on spraying the body color.

Looks great

Old 04-23-2010, 12:30 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Bull27
I love the mesh grills. No other cars on the market (except Bentley's) have them. They are unique and look great.

I dont know what you mean by it being too chrome, is it not like a gunmetal like mine? Definately a no on spraying the body color.

Looks great
Mine isn't original Jaguar.. It's the Mina Gallery insert inserted into an original Jaguar grille frame.

http://www.minagallery.com/jagxp/Jag...l%20insert.htm

I bought it already done as a complete grille on ebay. It's polished stainless.. (and looks almost chrome depending on the angle) Yours has the frame painted cause you have an STR, and a more matte mesh - that the factory uses. I also have a different grille frame than the one on the picture, or the original one on the car. The original one on the car had a jag growler at 12 O'Clock, The new grille frame has what looks like more of a badge, the growler, with a circle around it and the "Jaguar" Script.

Oh I got my center caps in, they are going on after work, and them maybe I'll wash it and take a couple pics if the weather stays nice.

George

Old 04-23-2010, 12:33 PM
Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by androulakis
Mine isn't original Jaguar.. It's the Mina Gallery insert inserted into an original Jaguar grille frame.

http://www.minagallery.com/jagxp/Jag...l%20insert.htm

I bought it already done as a complete grille on ebay. It's polished stainless.. (and looks almost chrome depending on the angle) Yours has the frame painted cause you have an STR, and a more matte mesh - that the factory uses. I also have a different grille frame than the one on the picture, or the original one on the car. The original one on the car had a jag growler at 12 O'Clock, The new grille frame has what looks like more of a badge, the growler, with a circle around it and the "Jaguar" Script.

Oh I got my center caps in, they are going on after work, and them maybe I'll wash it and take a couple pics if the weather stays nice.

George
Geaorge, I have the Mina inserts for the bottom half of my grill and they almost perfectly match the large factory grill. My factory grill was NOT painted. Like I said, it looks like a gunmetal finish, not painted.

EDIT: I'm a fool, I misunderstood. Yes my FRAME is painted to match the vehicle and not chrome. I thought you were talking about the mesh itself. In that case, YES, most definately paint the frame from chrome to body color. 100%

Last edited by Bull27; 04-23-2010 at 12:35 PM. Reason: Im an idiot
Old 04-23-2010, 07:45 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The mess is nice, if that's what you like. The jag nose looks good in any format. I have the 03 s type and have left the original black waterfall grill but am going to add the chrome tail light parameter chrome, side indicators parameter chrome and chrome door handles to just add a bit of sparkle. I am usually a totally 'stock' kinda guy. The S type is so stunning, you could hardly mess it up!

Old 04-23-2010, 08:37 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice. I like the mesh too. I was considering having the mesh insert but opted to have the frame colour matched to the car. I think the colour matched frame adds a richer look to the car....well, I don't have to tell the "R" guys about that.

Old 04-23-2010, 10:22 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by just123123
Nice. I like the mesh too. I was considering having the mesh insert but opted to have the frame colour matched to the car. I think the colour matched frame adds a richer look to the car....well, I don't have to tell the "R" guys about that.
So you have a color matched frame with the stock grille?

Do you have a pic of that? I'd like to see it - I have a complete stock grille here and that might be an interesting twist on it.

George

Old 04-24-2010, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by androulakis
So you have a color matched frame with the stock grille?

Do you have a pic of that? I'd like to see it - I have a complete stock grille here and that might be an interesting twist on it.

George
Here ya go...

Attached Thumbnails So my S-Type got a nose job..-cwjag4.jpg  

Last edited by just123123; 04-24-2010 at 10:20 AM.
Old 04-24-2010, 01:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very nice, what was your grill before? the plastic one or the vertical chrome?

how did you do it? i am going to do the same to my '05

Old 04-25-2010, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by King
Very nice, what was your grill before? the plastic one or the vertical chrome?

how did you do it? i am going to do the same to my '05
OEM plastic. Auto body shop $20. I prepped it, they painted it.

Old 06-14-2010, 02:34 PM

Hey Andro, I was looking around for an str mesh and the mina looks pretty much the same. How much did your get yours for?

Old 06-14-2010, 03:03 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by TheRusski
Hey Andro, I was looking around for an str mesh and the mina looks pretty much the same. How much did your get yours for?
I bought the whole grille as replacement assembly for $102.50 on ebay. It's an insert, maybe mina, maybe someone else, put into the frame. But this way I can play musical grills as I choose. And I didn't have to sit there and cut up a factory grille to do it.

George

Old 06-14-2010, 04:11 PM

That's pretty good, I'm gonna look into getting one; I like these a lot more than the standard vertical fins grill, besides, the top of mine has a small snapped piece behind the grill that holds it to the frame so it'll pop out randomly and have about half an inch of space. I guess i could glue it, but I'd rather just go straight for this grill anyway

Old 06-14-2010, 04:18 PM
Veteran Member

You need the inner plastic frame to be intact in order to do the insert properly. You have to cut the vertical bars out and the insert fits between the plastic and metal frames...

George

Old 06-15-2010, 08:15 AM

Yeah that's what I figured. The backing is fine, the part that's broken is on the actual grill (the small plastic piece that goes into the frame), so it should be fine since I wasn't planning on keeping the original grill anyway

Old 06-15-2010, 12:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,703 Likes on 1,211 Posts

Russki... Rumsfeld signature is hillarious!!!!!!

Quick Reply: So my S-Type got a nose job..