Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So...why do you have an S Type?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 06:37 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Leedsman
I bought my S-type:--

1) Because it's a diesel and it goes like fury....quietly.
2) The second-hand price was right, far lower than the equiv. BMW 5-series.
3) Sensible boot/trunk space with the fold-down rear seats. Better than the XJ6/8s.
4) Best looking retro car on the market. Better than Beetle, better than Fiat 500.
5) Nothing else is QUITE LIKE a Jaguar-- right?

Leedsman.
I'm new in the Jag world...they made a diesel S Type??
The car draws so many looks for us, it's interesting. The previous car was a 2007 Infiniti G35 coupe which I loved. But the Jag draws so many looks and comments from our friends. And as mentioned by others here the price is hard to beat.

Old 06-15-2011, 07:30 PM
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

because I look good in my black Suit when getting out of my STR... hahahaha

Just kidding.... I fall in love since the first time seeing Jag own by my Sultan (back Home) jaguar XJ220... i consider still as the best and sexiest sport car

Old 06-15-2011, 08:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

I originally bought an X Type based on a good price, handling, and AWD. I liked the looks and I fit in it pretty well too. That got me going - and this forum and its members helped to fuel allegiance/appreciation of the brand. I've mostly had European vehicles so I lean that way anyway.

When it was time to make a change, it was XJR or STR all the way. Preferred the STR and luckily found a very low mileage example in great shape for an extremely reasonable price.

IMHO the STR is great looking, fast, comfortable, and unique. The 4.2's and 3.0's are no slouches either. I'm guessing the oil burners are quite capable too.

I dunno really, I guess it's an emotional connection of some kind with this car. I'm actually content with it....never thought I would say that about any car.

Old 06-15-2011, 08:12 PM
Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by The Chris X
I originally bought an X Type
When I got my S, there was also an X a little less expensive and in my favorite color (British Racing Green) but upon closer inspection, it was full of cigarette burns and had some serious paint issues.

It was then I realized that every single car I have ever bought off a lot is silver..

Old 06-15-2011, 08:14 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Blue Lion
I'm new in the Jag world...they made a diesel S Type??
The oil burner didn't make it to our shores here in the US. Quite a shame really...

Old 06-15-2011, 08:17 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by GoKittyGo
When I got my S, there was also an X a little less expensive and in my favorite color (British Racing Green) but upon closer inspection, it was full of cigarette burns and had some serious paint issues.

It was then I realized that every single car I have ever bought off a lot is silver..
LOL - maybe you should be "SilverKitty" then?

IMHO the S is a superior machine to the X, and I did very much enjoy the X for over 5 years. AWD was nice though, but I don't drive the STR in the winter anyway.

The following users liked this post:
GoKittyGo (06-16-2011)
Old 06-15-2011, 08:46 PM
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

A 400hp supercharged V8 for a very modest price with all the luxury and comfort you expect from a euro car.

I would rather have my CLS 63 AMG back but going from a 1200$ car payment to paied for has a lot to do with why I have an STR!

Old 06-16-2011, 03:36 AM
Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Blue Lion -- It seems Jaguar did not export to the US its diesel cars, probably because they thought the demand would be too low. If petrol prices are, say $4 per gallonUS, that's probably the right decision. But here in UK and Europe petrol prices are around double that, give or take a few cents. I've had something like 25 diesel cars over the years and urban fuel consumption is approaching half the petrol version, same car.
If you wanted a diesel S-type for US use, you could always do a personal import from Europe, new or second-hand, but you might have to comply with local construction and use regulations, and of course the current emission regulations. My diesel S-type has all the bells and whistles in that area, but of course to comply with european regs.
But of course, you might find it doesn't make economic sense to go to those lengths for a small-ish saving in US.
Leedsman.

Old 06-16-2011, 04:51 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

I'm a bit of an odd ball here.. I simply needed a 4 door car for recently "acquired" children. So, since I was giving up coupe's for good I decided to get a RWD car and forgo the generic vanilla sedans. While searching and looking I "fell" into my certified S Type. I liked it very much despite it's quirks. I liked it so much that I will have a Jaguar again...But another child came into my life and I needed something bigger..So now I drive what can best be described as a HUGE four door muscle car.... It too makes me smile on my way to work...

Old 06-16-2011, 05:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,703 Likes on 1,211 Posts

Originally Posted by JOsworth
another child came into my life
What a doll she is!!

Old 06-16-2011, 05:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 166 Likes on 134 Posts

I got my S-Type because I wanted a smaller car than my two previous XJs. The S-Type looks great, handles really nice and is the most comfortable car I've ever driven. As a plus it was a Select Edition car so all the issues I've had with it were handled under warranty. I looked at other brands like Infiniti, Mercedes, BMW etc but they were significantly more expensive than the S-Type. The only real hassle I had was actually getting the one I wanted. There were some green ones I wanted, but by the time I was actually ready to buy one, they were sold.

Mike

Old 06-16-2011, 08:53 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by joycesjag
What a doll she is!!
LOL, until she dumps her baggie of Cinnamon Toast Crunch all over her seat and the floor of the car...

But wouldn't change a thing.... Oh, BTW, she thinks pretty highly of "you guys" as well...I think she flirted with Vance the most...

Old 06-16-2011, 10:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 217 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by JOsworth
LOL, until she dumps her baggie of Cinnamon Toast Crunch all over her seat and the floor of the car...

But wouldn't change a thing.... Oh, BTW, she thinks pretty highly of "you guys" as well...I think she flirted with Vance the most...
Must of been the chair. You go to a place with no seats and bring one you are going to be pretty popular. LOL.

Old 06-16-2011, 10:12 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

First, just look at the car man! It georgeous!

Second, I challenge you to find a sedan with the following attributes:

1) turns the right set of wheels
2) makes 400hp
3) makes 400 torque
4) seats four comfortably on sweet leather
5) goes out the door with less the 40K miles for $17K
6) is dead sexy even while its 8 years old
7) gets 30 mpg on the highway at 70mph

the list goes on...

Old 06-17-2011, 01:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 217 Likes on 129 Posts

Not sure about number 7. I've still barely only broke 25MPG on trips driving as grandma as I could get. You must have more downhills then I've got out here. LOL.

Old 06-17-2011, 06:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 166 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by GoKittyGo

GoKittyGo,

You should have seen the salesman's face when I bought my S-Type after I told him, "no Black, Silver or White cars". I settled on a Zircon with the Bone interior. It was almost the same color combination that my 96 XJ6 had when I traded it in.

Mike

The following users liked this post:
GoKittyGo (06-17-2011)
Old 06-17-2011, 09:10 AM
Veteran member
Received 251 Likes on 220 Posts

I can get 27mpg if I keep it at 70mph. That is what I averaged from Kentucky to Texas.

Old 06-17-2011, 03:59 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I love the S because it shows class and by the body style being similar since 1999 it still has the body that look better than some of the 2011 2012 cars its a head turner at any event no matter what even if you were driving past a car club with good custom cars the CAT still get the attention being custom or not

Old 06-17-2011, 05:21 PM
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I love all the stares and glances. I can tell people are doing that at stoplights when i am going the other way, i see the heads turn! a clean black R looks like a bentley at dusk

Old 06-17-2011, 06:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 21,419 Likes on 8,628 Posts

Late 1969, my ex wife bought a 67 XKE coupe and we had lots of fun in it. IIRC, the rear seat folded down and we put our two toddlers back there with lots of pillows and blankets. We had it about a year when the tranny took a dump and she got rid of it.
When one owns a Jag, it seems one contracts something like cat fever which can stay dormant for long periods of time. It can reappear suddenly and without warning.
When the X-Type first came out, they had a lease special on them and my now wife was looking for a lease car. BINGOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.
Nice blue one (2002 2.5) and when that lease was up, she got a 2003 3.0 with extended warranty. Said warranty came in handy when the tranny went out (actually it was a torque convertor bolt that worked loose).
Now we have the 2006 3.0...4 year lease with one to go. Have no idea what's next.

Quick Reply: So...why do you have an S Type?