Sponsored by:

Someone hurt my baby, need advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 03:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Someone hurt my baby, need advice

Hello all,

Someone idiot rear ended me while I was stopped at a red light. I'm looking to get my '05 STR repaired. It's pretty well beat up, but I love it and want it repaired!! Does anyone know of a good collision repair shop in Phoenix, AZ? I was thinking of using Ernie's auto body repair at 1927 W. Peoria av, but would like to hear what you guys say first. Thank you.

Old 10-13-2011, 07:33 AM
Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Sorry Chris. I have a home in Scottsdale but never had any kind of a bender there so I don't know who'd do quality work. In NY, NJ, PA, MD and DC, I could make you several recommendations. On Ernie's, I'd suggest going over a few days without the vehicle and seeing him "reconstruct", someone else's misfortune. Talk with him about your situation and if you're satisfied with the work he's done for others, have him visit where you are and get some estimates.

Sometimes honest communication with new endeavors nets you Great results. In the Forum, Bodyman (Jim) does exemplary restoration work as do many others. It might be worth asking him directly a recommendation.

The following users liked this post:
bklynchris (10-13-2011)
Old 10-13-2011, 08:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

Great advice above!

I would also add that doing a little digging around online can help get a feel for the shop. But be wary of the feedback, as many times people unhappy are more likely to make it known than those who are happy with the work.

When I have body work done (found a great local shop) - I make it clear what level of work I am interested in (perfection, duh!). I'll tell the guy straight up if it is not perfect then I will be a huge a-hole about the whole thing. See how they react to that.

Good luck, hope you get it all fixed up. Maybe put up a few pics and some of our body shop experts like Jim could give better advice.

bklynchris (10-13-2011)
Old 10-13-2011, 09:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 21,600 Likes on 8,688 Posts

Ask your local Jag dealers who they go to for this type of work. I'm sure they go to reputable places or can recommend a few

bklynchris (10-13-2011)
Old 10-13-2011, 09:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 802 Likes on 670 Posts

Must be that time of year???
This morning my 2005 STR got hit from behind. The woman was putting on her make up using the visor mirror!
But it's very minor and she was driving a nice red Mercedes coupe.
She was so sorry to mark up my nice car.

bklynchris (10-13-2011)
Old 10-13-2011, 10:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

Thanks guys. My lawyer knew of this body shop and said they have a great reputation. Also others I've spoken to said the same. So I feel a little better about them doing the work. Also, they do specialize in luxury vehicles. I'm just happy my baby isn't totaled, ( so the shop says) and will be fixed. I will post some pics once she's fixed. I'll tell you know, that is one beautiful car!!! I guess you guys already know that, you have one too!

Old 10-13-2011, 11:28 AM
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

I believe in referals. That is how I have always got my bussiness. So ask around. The recomendation by your attorney is a good indication. Happy customers are the best advertisement.

"I'm just happy my baby isn't totaled, ( so the shop says) and will be fixed."

BTW, this is what I was talking about in my other thread. On the Vette forum it would be " get them to total it cause it will never be the same"

Rear hits are generally easier and somewhat cheaper. It's surprising what will pull out with a frame machine and a good tech. And you don't have cooling, AC and restraint systems to deal with.

Good luck with the repairs.

bklynchris (10-13-2011)
Old 10-13-2011, 12:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 217 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Jayt2
Ask your local Jag dealers who they go to for this type of work. I'm sure they go to reputable places or can recommend a few
This is not always the case. Someone keyed my hood so I'm actually looking at shops as the hood is going to need a repaint. Actually getting the hood and front bumper painted and redone since my front bumper is rock chipped and looks bad. I used the internet. I found a place that I could not find one bad review of and I looked. I went to the dealer just to get another few quotes and the place they recommended all I could find was bad reviews. On a site that does star ratings the place I'm taking it too was 5 stars and the place the dealer recommended was 2. So your best bet is to do research and then shop around checking out various shops work like recommended. I'll have pics of my before and after hopefully next weekend as I'm taking it in Monday and they said it should be done by Friday. Hopefully it doesnt rain to much as my only form of transportation will be my motorcycle.

bklynchris (10-13-2011)
Old 10-13-2011, 01:35 PM
Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

When my STR got rear-ended in March/2010 there was no frame damage. After fighting with the insurance company it was repaired with all OEM parts, took 51 days and the final bill with taxes was 18K plus 2K for rental car. The body shop is the best and warranties their work for the entire time you own the car.

Perfect work and attention to detail. Didn't hurt to be a pain in the *ss with the Insurance company as I refused to let them repair with used parts. I had the body shop strip the car while I went ten rounds with the Insurance company running up the bill so they wouldn't write it off when they finally had to use OEM parts. They found used parts but I demanded that they could not use anything but like parts as my STR only had 30K on odometer. The estimator, according to the body shop manager, almost had a heart attack when they got the final bill.

When the tire shop damaged the bottom of the front bumper and cracked the valence pan the bill was 2K and took 2 days. They removed the entire bumper, repaired the bottom, painted the entire bumper and replaced the valence. Same estimator as above grateful that I didn't insist on a new front bumper. I would have but not a big deal to repair and I didn't have to wait weeks to get a replacement.

The car is perfect...

bklynchris (10-13-2011)
Old 10-13-2011, 02:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Best of luck, both of you with the repairs, I hope things work out to your satisfaction.

Although in tbird's case, I wonder if the insurance will cough up for dinner.

Recommendation and portfolio of previous work does help.

Searanch, surely the estimator is an independent guy, and is not linked to one company or another. Although I guess, they will all know each other.

At least, that is how it works here, unless there is a dispute, when either party can then bring in their own expert registered chap.

BTW, agree 100% that the car should be returned to the immaculate pre-accident condition.

Just surprised by the amount of the bill, they stumped up.

bklynchris (10-13-2011)
Old 10-13-2011, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by Translator
Best of luck, both of you with the repairs, I hope things work out to your satisfaction.

Although in tbird's case, I wonder if the insurance will cough up for dinner.

Recommendation and portfolio of previous work does help.

Searanch, surely the estimator is an independent guy, and is not linked to one company or another. Although I guess, they will all know each other.

At least, that is how it works here, unless there is a dispute, when either party can then bring in their own expert registered chap.

BTW, agree 100% that the car should be returned to the immaculate pre-accident condition.

Just surprised by the amount of the bill, they stumped up.
Here in British Columbia, Canada we have socialized auto insurance. One Crown Corporation called ICBC (Insurance Corporation of British Columbia) that, with a mandate, insure every vehicle in the province. They also handle drivers licenses, license plates and therefore ya don't get insurance and/or plates without ponying up. Got a suspended license and/or unpaid fines ya better clear it up or no insurance/plates.

It's actually a very good not-for-profit system that has been in operation for 30 years. Living in a small town of 150,000 in Canada's premier wine district it's not that unusual to get the same estimator. My dealings with ICBC have proven to be fair, forthright and transparent.

We also have socialized medical which covers everyone without deductibles, co-pays and generally excellent care. Having lived in the US for 28 years I can appreciate the difference.

It's like night and day...

bklynchris (10-14-2011)
Old 10-14-2011, 03:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Originally Posted by searanch
Here in British Columbia, Canada we have socialized auto insurance. One Crown Corporation called ICBC (Insurance Corporation of British Columbia) that, with a mandate, insure every vehicle in the province. They also handle drivers licenses, license plates and therefore ya don't get insurance and/or plates without ponying up. Got a suspended license and/or unpaid fines ya better clear it up or no insurance/plates.

It's actually a very good not-for-profit system that has been in operation for 30 years. Living in a small town of 150,000 in Canada's premier wine district it's not that unusual to get the same estimator. My dealings with ICBC have proven to be fair, forthright and transparent.

We also have socialized medical which covers everyone without deductibles, co-pays and generally excellent care. Having lived in the US for 28 years I can appreciate the difference.

It's like night and day...
Got it A sensible system indeed.

Our medical is a mix of social and private insurance with the private picking up where state insurance doesn't. Seems to work very well. Choice and no waiting.

Anyhow, back on track, let's hope these STRs get repaired quickly and correctly.

I have to smile at your 'small town of 150,000', mine is 1,700 and they notice when someone goes on holiday.

bklynchris (10-14-2011)
Old 10-14-2011, 12:21 PM
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

When my STR got rear-ended in March/2010 there was no frame damage. After fighting with the insurancecompany it was repaired with all OEM parts, took 51 days and the final bill with taxes was 18K plus 2K for rental car. The body shop is the best and warranties their work for the entire time you own the car.

I remember reading about that back when it happened. I still can't believe it cost that much to repair. If I recall, the other guy hit your car at a fairly high speed and that would certainly contribute to a higher repair cost.

I was rear ended in Sep. 2009 at a stoplight by a lady on a cellphone - she thought I was going to run the light. Anyways, it was a low speed collision, she accepted 100% at fault and her insurance company took care of the entire process, including rental.

All said and done, total cost came to $2,600 for a new bumper, some behind the bumper sub-frame supports, repainting the trunk and buffing the tail lights. I accepted long ago that my car would not be perfect, so I was rather pleased with how well the end result came out. I will likely go back next spring for a few other touch-ups (front bumper needs some work). My only complaint was being stuck with a Pontiac G6. Not a bad car for what it is, but the CVT transmission was pure hell. I would go to accelerate, and it would think about it, think about it some more, then go. On top of that, it was impossible to red line it.

bklynchris (10-16-2011)
Old 10-14-2011, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Doryphoros86
When my STR got rear-ended in March/2010 there was no frame damage. After fighting with the insurancecompany it was repaired with all OEM parts, took 51 days and the final bill with taxes was 18K plus 2K for rental car. The body shop is the best and warranties their work for the entire time you own the car.

I remember reading about that back when it happened. I still can't believe it cost that much to repair. If I recall, the other guy hit your car at a fairly high speed and that would certainly contribute to a higher repair cost.
I was stopped waiting to merge out onto the highway. A Dodge 4x4 pulled up behind me and I moved forward to get a better look of the oncoming traffic. A car was moving fairly fast in the right lane so I hesitated to move out onto the highway. The oncoming car saw me and started to move over to the left lane. The driver of the Dodge saw the same thing and assumed I had moved onto the highway and while observing the oncoming vehicle move over to the left lane smacked the loud pedal and drilled me.

Unknown to me a third vehicle had pulled up behind the Dodge in a marked police cruiser. The copper witnessed the whole thing. The driver got papered over pretty good with citations while his passengers all laughed at him.

No frame damage but everything was replaced with OEM parts including, but not limited to, trunk lid, both taillights, rear window, passenger quarter panel, all the rear bumper components, rear window which they broke removing and all the jewelry. They repainted the entire roof, passenger/driver rear doors and quarter panels, trunk and bumper.

Attached Thumbnails Someone hurt my baby, need advice-str-001.jpg  
bklynchris (10-16-2011)
Old 10-15-2011, 07:48 AM
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

No frame damage but everything was replaced with OEM parts including, but not limited to, trunk lid, both taillights, rear window, passenger quarter panel, all the rear bumper components, rear window which they broke removing and all the jewelry. They repainted the entire roof, passenger/driver rear doors and quarter panels, trunk and bumper.

That would certainly explain the very high cost. And looking at your picture, mine was not even a 1/4 as bad, the bumper was toast, but the trunk only had a small ding in it, and the right rear light had a slight scuff.

To the OP: Though looking at your car in its current state is rather depressing, once your bodywork is finished, it will be almost better than new.

bklynchris (10-16-2011)