Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

someone please help! open s type 4.0 wont move

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 06:22 PM
Received 1,425 Likes on 1,067 Posts

Originally Posted by BadJag11
Look at the 3rd post
OK, you traded him a $10K+ motor (which he is claiming needs to be rebuilt) - for the Jaguar w/ a 15 day warranty - is that correct?

And, if you want the motor back then you owe him $2K more....

Last edited by abonano; 12-09-2012 at 06:25 PM.
Old 12-09-2012, 07:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 221 Likes on 170 Posts

$10,000 seems a bit much for a 2000 s type with 100k+ miles.

Old 12-09-2012, 08:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is correct, and yes it was alot but my girl and I were going to get a car because we are expecting a new addition to the family, And I had the motor for sale on craigslist,this same guy that wanted the motor is also on a local car forum,anyways his claim was that the car was already sold and if I trade him the motor for the car the guy he was selling it to would buy it from me instead 2 or 3 days after we made the trade. he even gave me the guys number and I called him and he also did verify he would be buying it off me so a good price so I agreed well after we talked he never responded to me nore text me back about the car,(to me this seemed planned between the two ,so I could do the tradel) and yes since the very first night I had the car it was having problems and I told him but he did not have much to say. so when i finally told him I needed my motor back he said I would owe him 2000+ dollars for rebuilding the motor which is not my responsibility because the motor was in perfect running shape I even had a shop look and inspect the motor prior to the trade leak down and compression test was done .... this guys ****** me over bad ...

Last edited by joycesjag; 12-10-2012 at 12:32 AM. Reason: language
Old 12-09-2012, 08:53 PM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Buying an almost 13 year old car with 100K miles sight unseen for use as your daily workhorse, irrespective of price, is a bit of a stretch.

What's wrong with your two other cars?

Old 12-09-2012, 09:16 PM

Like I said the deal was that it was to be purchased right after I got it, I was never planning on keeping it. although I would like to have a jaguar with no problems they are nice

Old 12-09-2012, 10:12 PM
Received 1,425 Likes on 1,067 Posts

As far as I see it - a 2000 S Type (one of the most problematic model years for Jaguar (Ford) with the 4.0 V8 (again, very problematic issues - tensioner failure, etc) with over 100K miles (with known transmission isues) - more than likely other problems exist as well, which you probably haven't discovered yet (suspension, cooling, etc) is not worth a penny over $1,500 - and that's really stretching it due to everything I stated above. (Most Jaguar folks would chuckle at even $1,500 and walk)

Just to address the transmission - at best - a fluid change or two gets you "back in the game" - about $300 and if you need a rebuild (which could be in cards based on what you described) - $3,000 or higher. Yes, you could get a used Ebay or junkyard unit for about $600 - $1,000 but you will have to pay $$$ to get the old one out/the new one in and new fluid/filter and if that one goes - you start the payment cycle all over again.

It sucks that this guy (and his friend) took you for a ride, especially with a new addition on the way.

Even if the car was 100% - this model year/engine combo needs major maintenance to keep them road worthy - believe me - I know! Sorry dude!

Last edited by abonano; 12-09-2012 at 10:14 PM.
The following users liked this post:
BadJag11 (12-09-2012)
Old 12-09-2012, 11:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 221 Likes on 170 Posts

If i was in your position i would phone the seller, and tell him you will pay what he asks for engine.

When you go to pick the engine up and give the car back, pay him in monopoly money.

The problem with deals that seem too good to be true is they normally are.

BadJag11 (12-09-2012)
Old 12-10-2012, 12:00 AM

Thanks alot guys ,I feel so stupid... if I do take this to court I will show the judge this so he/she can see how bad I really got screwed over ... I really needed the money and I honestly though this car would have been purchased .

I did a little fallow up on the forum... I saw a post from the guy, he said i know my car is in good hands.....so basically another guy from the forum is putting the car together wheather he is just installing the motor or he did infact rebuild it. like I said the motor was fine.. so what I did is I PM'd the guy who is installing the motor for the guy I traded , and I ask him to please call me .... Im not sure what to ask him exactly or if I should go into detail with the problem I know he is very professional but I kinda just want to ask him how the car is coming along.... and maybe I can get some info out of him because if i can get him to admit the motor was indeed fine then case closed..I know it was fine but if he says he didnt build it Ill just call the cops and get my damn money or motor back..... I even tried being nice to him and simply asked if he could help me pay for repairs,he said do what i got to do...

Old 12-10-2012, 02:35 AM
Banned
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Bloke, if you are going to take him to court, take him to court asap, the longer you leave it and the more you contact these other people the more confused the situation will get. Plus if your engine winds up in the hands of a third party it will get even more complicated and you will be less likely to get anything back at all.

Old 12-10-2012, 02:53 AM
Banned
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Actually while I think of it, if you take him to court go get a lawyer! What's the old saying: 'Someone that represents themselves in court has a fool for a client'

I'm not a lawyer btw, but I don't think you could do anything about this third party who was 'going' to purchase the car, him dropping out of the sale would not be the responsibility of the guy you got the car from. Even if you did have a purchase contract from the third guy in writing you have essentially accepted the car as payment for your engine as far as I understand these matters.

I think the only thing you can go after the vendor of the car for, is the 15 day powertrain warranty you mentioned, in which case the longer he stuffs you around, the more chance he has to stand up in court and say: "It worked fine for 15 days and that you have damaged the car subsequently"

With the above said, if you are still in the 15 day warranty period get a workshop to diagnose and quote you on repairs! The court is *not* going to pay much (if any) attention to printouts from an Internet forum.

Good luck!

Oh, and as a sidenote, best wishes for your little one on the way, I've got a baby daughter about 18 months old, I have to warn you though, once you get a pram in the back of an S-Type there isn't much room for anything else!!! The first year we used a V70T-5 Volvo for all the baby clutter!

Old 12-10-2012, 04:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

I'm even more confused than 'normal'.

The thread begins with the stated intention of moving the car on after a couple of days.

Then post #12 states it is supposed to be a DD.

Then we have the third party tale with the bloke backing away from the deal.

Hardly surprising, if the original seller had been notified of the problem right from the get go, and he knows the alleged third party, he would have told him to walk away if he ever existed.

If you have a legitimate warranty and your forum join date is when you 'purchased' the Jag, you need to move quickly to get the claim registered.

Sadly it sounds like you have had your fingers burned.

Can't see what the cops could do either, no idea about Arizona, but generally they are about law enforcement and not he said she said he said issues.

Best of luck, I think you are gong to need it.

Old 12-10-2012, 10:14 AM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Originally Posted by Translator
I'm even more confused than 'normal'.
Glad it's not just me.

Putting aside the 'he said she saids', has the OP considered having a garage look at the car to do some basic troubleshooting? As pointed out way up above, low fluid level might be the cause. Seems to me that this simple check would give more results than pounding on an Ipatch keyboard.

Old 12-10-2012, 12:12 PM

I am going to do the fluid today and get more info for you all,

Ill make it more clear, I was sellining my motor to make some money to buy a car for my gf and I ,a guy came to me with his offer of the jaguar, at first I said no I need cash but he insisted he already had the car sold in the next few days , so I took the car as a trade with the intention of selling it , the plans fell through and the car didnt sell to the originals owners buyer, and because of that I no longer have a dd or a car to sell so now I have nothing to get me around thats streetable

Old 12-10-2012, 12:14 PM

And if I do get a transmission I can take the old one out and put a new one in my self.

Old 12-10-2012, 12:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 802 Likes on 670 Posts

I don't have any answers to your problem but wanted to comment on the transmission. One good thing is you have a dead common 5 speed auto made by Ford. Total rebuild out the door about $1500. Yes you can replace it but they are known for valve body and shift solenoid problems. Both of these do not require removing the transmission. So get a better diagnosis after the fluid level is checked properly. This transmission can be built to take 1000 HP plus so it is a good unit when working properly.

If you do it yourself be VERY careful with all the bolts and washers. They are used for balance and must go back exactly where they came from. The TQ bolts and the tail shaft flange bolts are the ones to take note of.

BadJag11 (12-10-2012)
Old 12-10-2012, 01:59 PM

Thanks alot,but would the shift solenoid or valve body did go out would it cause this problem. As I said before a met a guy with a very similar problem and it was his throttle body causing it the electronic part

Old 12-10-2012, 02:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Believe us BadJag, we feel your pain, hence why the guys are offering advice.

I can't give you anything technical on this one, you already have some very experienced people on that.

However, what happened with the supposed Warranty, by my reckoning you have 4 days left to make a claim. (based on Forum Join Date).

Why are you even thinking about buying a new Trans?

Even if you can do the swap yourself.

AZ/NM ?

BadJag11 (12-10-2012)
Old 12-10-2012, 02:19 PM

i just called the transmission shop that built the trans in my corvette and my GTO and he offered me 4k for the jag ,I told him everything

Old 12-10-2012, 02:29 PM

Yeah NM man, And because Its going to cost alot to take this guy to court, I just dont know what to do .I called my lawyer,he will call me back so we can talk about this. I just dont know where to start.

Old 12-11-2012, 10:12 PM

Transmission failed cost 5,500 to rebuild , no joke !

Last edited by joycesjag; 12-12-2012 at 05:16 AM. Reason: language

Quick Reply: someone please help! open s type 4.0 wont move