something draining my battery

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 12:49 PM
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Default something draining my battery

Basic info:
2003 STR, 160k miles
battery is only a year old

I don't drive it any more due to an overheating issue and a stripped bolt preventing me from replacing the thermostat, but until recently I could still start the car and move it when needed. Recently, I started getting a brake fault on the dash that won't go away. It does that beeping sound when there's a parking brake fault, which I've seen happen when the car is low on power. And after a few days, I'm having to jump the car to get it started (and it's taking awhile to charge). I just started the car a week ago, but the battery is completely dead now. Something has to be draining it, but I'm at a loss. I'm actually looking at selling the car, but I need to make sure it's at least running first!

Old 11-16-2015, 02:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 802 Likes on 670 Posts

It could be lots of things so be prepared to do some troubleshooting.

As you know the car goes to sleep after about 30-45 minutes. If it does not something is keeping the car awake. So you need to find this drain. You will need to measure how much current the car is drawing right after shut down.

Then you need to monitor this until the car should go to sleep. Something as simple as connecting you DVOM will awaken the car. So don't open any doors or trunk, ECT.

When you find out that you have a drain you need to remove the fuses/relays one at a time until you find the drain.

The only short cut here is of you have added anything aftermarket to the car. Stereo, phone, radar detector. These have been problems before and you will be ahead of the game by disconnecting all of that stuff before you start to do anything.

With the other repairs you have it sounds like a project car?
Good luck selling it with 160K miles too.

Old 11-17-2015, 01:43 AM
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Pull the radio fuse. A few guys have mentioned that the Stock radio's are known to corrode and it was finally identified as the source of the issue. Worst case scenario it still drains and you put the fuse back in.

Old 10-04-2016, 11:48 AM
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Default draining 2 amps after shutdown

I have outlined some of my recent problems with a 2000 S type

Originally Posted by tbird6
It could be lots of things so be prepared to do some troubleshooting. I will try to reply to each comment. The car is a 2000 S type.

As you know the car goes to sleep after about 30-45 minutes. If it does not something is keeping the car awake. So you need to find this drain. You will need to measure how much current the car is drawing right after shut down. Initially it draws 4 to 6 amps and then it falls to around 2 amps and stays there. I checked it three hours later and it still showed a 2 amp drain.

Then you need to monitor this until the car should go to sleep. Something as simple as connecting you DVOM will awaken the car. So don't open any doors or trunk, ECT. I had to have the trunk open and I am using an analog ammeter, but I did close the trunk latch physically.

When you find out that you have a drain you need to remove the fuses/relays one at a time until you find the drain. I do have a schematic to go by. Is there any particular fuse to start with? I do have a DSC warning coming from the car. Don't know if that is important.
The only short cut here is of you have added anything aftermarket to the car. Stereo, phone, radar detector. These have been problems before and you will be ahead of the game by disconnecting all of that stuff before you start to do anything. Just bought the car but it all looks like stock stuff.

With the other repairs you have it sounds like a project car?
Good luck selling it with 160K miles too.

Old 10-04-2016, 12:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 664 Likes on 572 Posts

Check the flap in the ignition barrel is closing when you remove the key. Unplug the alarm chirp sounder it may well be grounded.

Old 10-13-2016, 08:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,442 Likes on 898 Posts

Originally Posted by phaelax
Basic info:
2003 STR, 160k miles
battery is only a year old
I don't drive it any more due to . . . .
Plenty of sound advice on offer but . . . please . . . start suspecting your battery. Most batteries purchased "over the counter" are never fully charged - never mind a car that is rarely driven.

What is your current batter voltage reading - and I don't mean on a scale of "OK" to "Very Good"? What is the measured voltage? Anything close to 12.6V will usually start the car . . . but anything less than 12.6V will often throw a well known and documented succession of faults . . . parking brake; cruise; abs; transmission limp etc etc etc . . .

First, suggest you search thread "Battery 101 . . ."
Second, suggest you get a new Smart Charger (Battery Tender),
Third, and only if you do have a genuine excess drain problem, search on "Quiescent Current Drain . . ."

Cheers,

Ken