S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sort of Off Topic...But I'm here most...

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 04:48 PM
Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I must confess I've had a lust for the estate version/station wagon of the Chrysler 300 in black for a long time, but such huge engines are inappropriate for modern petrol prices, even with the dodge of using less than all the cylinders at moderate power levels. So it's the diesel S-type probably to the end of my motoring days.
Leedsman.

Old 02-03-2011, 05:10 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

Where have I been, was this a longtime coming or a spur of the moment decision? I usually notice members like you Jeff when they start talking about a departure from the jag. I do hope the 300 treats you well also, and you can still find some topics around here that keeps you interested and coming back. You'd be missed if you didn't!

Old 02-03-2011, 05:23 PM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by jag79
..If anyone is planning on getting a 300C, get either the AWD 300C or the SRT8, the "Multi-Displacement System" Delivering the power of a HEMI V8 with the fuel efficiency of a V6, the Multi-Displacement System (MDS) utilizes sensors to detect when full power isn't necessary and actually shuts off half of the eight cylinders only using 4 cyclinders resulting in up to 20 percent increase in fuel economy., I might trade my 99' Mercedes E320 for one of those bad boys, but never ever ever ever trade for a STR .
Umm.. The SRT8 does not have the MDS system. Only the RWD and AWD 300C's have it..I've driven the AWD... Not impressed.. It sits up high like an SUV... An Audi it isn't..The rear wheel drive is the way to go...
BTW... Tromping on it a little and still getting 19.5 mpg... Woo Hoo

Old 02-03-2011, 05:26 PM
Veteran member

OK, Enthusiast, this means WAR!

Old 02-03-2011, 05:37 PM
Veteran member

Originally Posted by h20boy
Where have I been, was this a longtime coming or a spur of the moment decision? I usually notice members like you Jeff when they start talking about a departure from the jag. I do hope the 300 treats you well also, and you can still find some topics around here that keeps you interested and coming back. You'd be missed if you didn't!
A little of both... I was really pinched in the S with three kids...

Some things scared me about my car in particular...

So, I was looking at options... Just jumped on the right deal when it came around.. To be honest... The same way I got the S Type... I always try to buy when it is still a want and not a need.. Much easier to walk away..

I walked from a 06 Magnum Wagon, R/T.. (That is what we had instead of the 300 Touring, Leedsman), a Silver Steel 09 300c, and a 07 Torred Charger R/T... So I was poking around for a while...

I intend to stick around.. There is no forum like this one...

OH, a funny thing I noticed about the 300C. It has a sealed transmission just like Jaguar. So, when I read that I thought, Hey! I swear I saw a dip-stick tube when I was looking at these cars?????
There is a tube.. It is covered with a plug that says..."Dealer Use Only"
He He He.... So, it has a fill tube! They just don't wan't the owner to over fill since there isn't a dip-stick...

Old 02-03-2011, 05:46 PM
Veteran member

Originally Posted by ChrisSTR
Love the exterior. Hate the interior. I wish you all the best with your new car. All good things come to an end..
Yea, that is one of the biggest struggles I had with moving to it..It is no Jaguar inside... Heck.. Older Chryslers were nicer! But it is functional and comfortable.. Plus it looks like it will take "kid abuse" pretty good..
The 08's were better (and the dealers know it! LOL).. The new '11 is absolutely beautiful.

Here it is..

Last edited by JOsworth; 02-04-2011 at 05:40 AM.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:24 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Jeff;

I see you're off the reservation like I am. Enjoy your new ride - looks nice. Yeah, I'm still lurking around here as well.

Oldengineer

Old 02-03-2011, 11:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 86 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by JOsworth
Umm.. The SRT8 does not have the MDS system. Only the RWD and AWD 300C's have it..I've driven the AWD... Not impressed.. It sits up high like an SUV... An Audi it isn't..The rear wheel drive is the way to go...
BTW... Tromping on it a little and still getting 19.5 mpg... Woo Hoo
Hey Jeff, I know the srt8 doesnt have the MDS system, I was reffering it to the 300C, but anyhow it's ones preferance about AWD option. I'm glad your happy with your new ride, best of luck!

Old 02-03-2011, 11:58 PM
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Not my cup of tea, but congrats on the new car!

Old 02-04-2011, 05:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,703 Likes on 1,211 Posts

OK, Enthusiast, this means WAR!

utt ohhhh, kinda reminds me of a thread in the off topic section, "PT Cruiser Fail"

Name:  pimped-out-300-chrysler.jpg
Views: 1506
Size:  30.8 KB

yo' waz zzzup bro' sorry Jeff couldn't resist myself

Old 02-04-2011, 05:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

Jeff and Old Engineer, Good to hear from yas.

Old 02-04-2011, 06:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 166 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by joycesjag
utt ohhhh, kinda reminds me of a thread in the off topic section, "PT Cruiser Fail"

yo' waz zzzup bro' sorry Jeff couldn't resist myself
Rick,

Just in case you and Jeff get together. Plenty of room for diaper changing.

Old 02-04-2011, 07:15 AM
Veteran Member

^^ yo' mike, that thing better have a place to change diap diaps! Nice limo, I like!

Old 02-04-2011, 09:34 PM
Default Thanks

Originally Posted by bfsgross
Jeff and Old Engineer, Good to hear from yas.
Yeah, I still drop in from time to time. Guess the dealer finally got my old S fixed - saw it posted on his used Jag site a couple weeks back. Been busy wrenching on my 48 Chevy, and, trying to get it running again. I miss the S Type, but, the GLK's handling and performance are very close to it.

Regards:
Oldengineer

Old 02-05-2011, 04:37 AM
Veteran member

Originally Posted by Oldengineer
Yeah, I still drop in from time to time. Guess the dealer finally got my old S fixed - saw it posted on his used Jag site a couple weeks back. Been busy wrenching on my 48 Chevy, and, trying to get it running again. I miss the S Type, but, the GLK's handling and performance are very close to it.

Regards:
Oldengineer
Ahhh... The pleasure of turning a wrench..Let us know how it goes. I was wondering how you were liking the GLK.. I still like those and the LR2, but couldn't do it because it would not have fixed my interior space issue, just the cargo area.

Mike, you're funny.... I really knew I was going to catch "poo" on here getting one of the most "tastelessly" modified cars out there...
I plan on modding mine as well... Since Jen's van got hit in a parking lot, we have ended up finding a local body shop that is good! So, first on the list is to get rid of those tacky factory chrome mirrors and door handles and go with a color matched set..Sorry, Rick! I don't mind a dash of chrome but the 300C is over the top... The base cars without all the extra chrome look better...

So, I took it to the Chrysler Dealer yesterday morning to have them check on an issue with the factory satellite radio. It needs a new radio.. No big deal, I'll take care of that myself. I also asked that the tech put it up on a lift with me so we could check it out real good for anything that may need attention... She is just as clean underneath as she drives. No signs of suspension bushings going... Total bill.... $21.25...And the service writer asked if that was OK to cover the tech and lift time.. He wasn't going to charge me anything for the radio work and hooking it up to their computer..I just laughed...

Old 02-05-2011, 08:02 AM
Veteran Member

Since Jen's van got hit in a parking lot, we have ended up finding a local body shop that is good!

I hope you called my buddy chuck at the old Solon Liberty Ford

So, first on the list is to get rid of those tacky factory chrome mirrors and door handles and go with a color matched set..Sorry, Rick!
game on bio.......

the cousin to the Jag above! mannn those tacky chrome mirrors look good REALLY GOOD!

Old 02-05-2011, 08:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,533 Likes on 3,942 Posts

I could hardly see the door mirrors for the shiny wheels.

Old 02-05-2011, 10:47 PM

Jeff:

Been wrenching all day on the 48, and, finally, got her running this evening. The car came with a home made dual exhaust system on it - partially made out of water pipe. I put a stock set of manifolds back on it, and, took her back to a single exhaust. Gone are the vacuum and exhaust leaks, and, the rum dum exhaust system with pidgeon poop welds. I was very happy when, after a dose of starting fluid, she started right up. I'm still breaking in the GLK, but, have taken 2 fairly long trips in it so far. As I expected, it's performance is very close to my old S, and, it corners nice and flat as well. It's dead quiet on the interstate, and, just loafs along. The Benz 6 has a nice flat torque curve just like the Jag V8 did. Wife and I did a run up hilly I 79 here, and, the Benz never downshifted once, and, had no problem holding 75 on the grades in 7th gear. This little SUV is a brute, and, makes our CRV seem very underpowered and tinny by comparison.

Regards:
Oldengineer

Old 02-05-2011, 11:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 217 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Enthusiast

I kinda hate to admit this but if the doors open normal even though they are shaved I kinda like this. Its got that clean show car look. I would paint the grill surround the same as the body though. No extreme body kits and good paint. I like the air suspension would be a nice cruiser. I just hate when they throw lambo doors on them and lift them to fit 28"s on them. Please be gentle.

Old 02-06-2011, 08:33 AM
Veteran member

Originally Posted by jagv8
I could hardly see the door mirrors for the shiny wheels.
Yea, I agree. Funny thing is the UK 300 gets the Charger/Magnum 18" wheels... They also got the Magnum wagon..Called the Touring there.

Those wheels are stock 18"..So, If I can find some on the cheap, easy replacement.

Originally Posted by joycesjag
I hope you called my buddy chuck at the old Solon Liberty Ford
Ended up that Jenn has a customer that manages a body shop close to us.. I decided to give them a chance and they did an awesome job.. They are a large shop so I actually planned on talking to Chuck regarding some little issues with the convertible. There are some chips and flaking on the inner rear wheel wells. I need someone who can just grind inside and paint them without blending into the exterior body panels..I plan on meeting and talking to Chuck about the 600 since I bet he will take better care of it when working; plus he is only a couple of minutes away from my work. I also plan on talking to both shops about how much to paint the parts for the 300 once I find them...

Originally Posted by Oldengineer
Jeff:

Been wrenching all day on the 48, and, finally, got her running this evening. .... This little SUV is a brute, and, makes our CRV seem very underpowered and tinny by comparison.

Regards:
Oldengineer
NICE! It is so nice when things go right. Hey, slap up some pictures of the 48..I'm sure all of us would love to see it...
Oh, I'm sure you're dead on with the CRV comparison...But.... It does have one of the Honda great engines.. If I'm not mistaken it has i-Vtech correct? There are two versions of the 2.4L 4cyl.. I know the 2.4 is an awesome little engine.. My Accord used to rev out over 7 grand and never broke a sweat...In the Acura cars that engine puts out over 200hp in some applications...

Quick Reply: Sort of Off Topic...But I'm here most...