S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spacers

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 06:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 220 Likes on 203 Posts

I think you may have missed my point? This ain't Florida. The roads are just awful here.

Old 02-25-2011, 06:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 86 Likes on 61 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by Staatsof
I think you may have missed my point? This ain't Florida. The roads are just awful here.
I know and everyone knows New jersey roads are awful! Lolz, that's why I said 20" wheels aren't for everyone, you have to factor in road conditions before doing it. I would rather get a hummer like you suggested for those roads there in NJ.

Last edited by jag79; 02-25-2011 at 06:52 AM.
Old 02-25-2011, 08:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 507 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by jag79
Here you go George this will be your 1st time seeing, 20's on my STR with the H&R springs & complete Magnaflow exhaust overhaul from CAts to 4"tips .They are custom made rims to match the Platinum color of the car paint.

Take care buddy.
Were they originally black centered wheels that you got painted / powder coated?

BOB: a 20" on an STR uses a 245/35/20 tire so the sidewall is 5% lower than an 245/40/18" (which comes stock on the STR). Its not much less, but you're right, it's asking to bend / break a wheel up here.

My old BMW 740i sport, I had 20's when people were getting excited about 17's lol. I loved it and it handled like it was on rails.

I did eventually bend one of the lips, on the FDR drive in Manhattan of course, but it's not as bad as you think it would be...

Take care,

George

Attached Thumbnails Spacers-dscn1434.jpg  
Old 02-25-2011, 09:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Staatsof
I think the wheels look OK but if those tires are the same diameter as the 18" stock ones no thanks. The stock tires are enough of a hazard with the very low profile. We have REAL pot holes here. I remember a bad winter in NYC 1994 or 5? when I saw a pot hole swallow half a taxi cab. No sh*t!

Yah know we really should be driving Hummers here.
Agreed. No freaking way would I go with anything larger than the 18s that came stock with my car....

Old 02-25-2011, 09:43 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Enthusiast
Agreed. No freaking way would I go with anything larger than the 18s that came stock with my car....
Eh Jaguar did offer 19" Barcelona's on the S-Type. It's a tradeoff between aesthetics / handling and potential wheel damage.

I don't think I'd run 19" or 20" during the winter / early spring pothole season in this climate, but maybe in the summer.

Take care,

George

Old 02-25-2011, 11:34 AM
STR
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here you go George this will be your 1st time seeing, 20's on my STR with the H&R springs & complete Magnaflow exhaust overhaul from CAts to 4"tips .They are custom made rims to match the Platinum color of the car paint.

Take care buddy.
Now that's what I'm talking about. Jag79 I really like the way your car is set up. The 20" wheel really make the car stand out.
I really like it!!!

Old 02-25-2011, 03:12 PM
Veteran Member
Talking

Originally Posted by STR
Now that's what I'm talking about. Jag79 I really like the way your car is set up. The 20" wheel really make the car stand out.
I really like it!!!
Thanks STR, I'm happy atleast someone appreciates my setup with a positive comment.

Old 02-25-2011, 07:15 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks STR, I'm happy atleast someone appreciates my setup with a positive comment.
You never answered my question! Although I suspect it got lost in all the buzz...

Did those wheels start life as black wheels with polished lips, and you had the black part painted body color??

Take care,

George

Old 02-25-2011, 08:46 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

hey hey I love the 20's also. I had my regular s-type 3.0 on 22's and never had a problem, to many old school people here but I respect everyones opinion, Im just 24yrs. old so go figure, I like to give the car a bit of personality, My 19' Barcelonas on my STR are perfect and dont plan on getting bigger so I am over that. I believe if its still on sale on ebay is a STR also on 20's, check it out guys

Old 02-25-2011, 10:07 PM
Veteran member
Received 251 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by jagv8
Yes of course it will affect handling. Steering, too. Spacers move the centre of mass of the parts (wheel etc) from where it was designed to be to somewhere else. You'll change the load on the affected suspension parts and the wear as well as the handling. You may cause the wheels to rub.

It's not my car so it's your choice. I'm glad the person doing this is not over here with a modified car on our public roads, as it could be a friend or family member who is maimed or killed.
Ignorant people like yourself need to get educated. FYI, going with a wheel that has a different offset will move the center* mass of the wheel out (or in) from factory specs also.

"Offset and track widths
Altering offsets also changes track widths. Reduced offsets result in larger track widths. This can improve cornering speeds by reducing lateral load transfer from the inside tires to the outside tires. By keeping the tire loads uniform, tires can generate increased lateral grip. This is why most race car tires are as far outboard as possible. On the other hand, changing the wheel width does not change the track.

Another way to increase track without having to purchase new wheels is to install wheel spacers. Spacers are available in different thicknesses, from about 5mm to 30mm or more, depending on the application. Eibach manufactures one of the nicest sets of spacers on the market. Their spacers are precision machined with tight tolerances, which helps ensure that wheels stay securely attached to their hubs. Eibach manufactures 5mm non-hub centric and 15mm hub centric options, each with longer wheel studs."

Old 02-25-2011, 10:52 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by androulakis
You never answered my question! Although I suspect it got lost in all the buzz...

Did those wheels start life as black wheels with polished lips, and you had the black part painted body color??

Take care,

George
Hey George sorry about that, I guess I must have overlooked that question, but yeah it still has the polished lips on the wheels and the caps were originally like that with a silver ring around it and the center being silverish. It was never black originally. The whole wheel before painting was stock polished aluminum color, I just had the outer lips left alone.

Take it easy buddy. .....Ohhh by the way hows your search going along for an STR?

Last edited by jag79; 02-25-2011 at 11:02 PM.
Old 02-25-2011, 10:59 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Glockjag
hey hey I love the 20's also. I had my regular s-type 3.0 on 22's and never had a problem, to many old school people here but I respect everyones opinion, Im just 24yrs. old so go figure, I like to give the car a bit of personality, My 19' Barcelonas on my STR are perfect and dont plan on getting bigger so I am over that. I believe if its still on sale on ebay is a STR also on 20's, check it out guys
Thanks bro for the compliments , I too respect everyones personal opinions, but at the end it matters only to you if you are happy with it or not, which I'am I still have my originals, one day if I ever want to get a newer STR, I will keep my custom 20's for it But all in honesty apart from looks I'am very pleased with how it stood up thus far in performance wise having it lowered with the H&R springs. LOlz..20's for me is full stop, can't get any bigger than that

take care bro.

Last edited by jag79; 02-25-2011 at 11:01 PM.
Old 02-26-2011, 12:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,623 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Star
Ignorant people like yourself need to get educated. FYI, going with a wheel that has a different offset will move the center* mass of the wheel out (or in) from factory specs also.

"Offset and track widths
Altering offsets also changes track widths. Reduced offsets result in larger track widths. This can improve cornering speeds by reducing lateral load transfer from the inside tires to the outside tires. By keeping the tire loads uniform, tires can generate increased lateral grip. This is why most race car tires are as far outboard as possible. On the other hand, changing the wheel width does not change the track.

Another way to increase track without having to purchase new wheels is to install wheel spacers. Spacers are available in different thicknesses, from about 5mm to 30mm or more, depending on the application. Eibach manufactures one of the nicest sets of spacers on the market. Their spacers are precision machined with tight tolerances, which helps ensure that wheels stay securely attached to their hubs. Eibach manufactures 5mm non-hub centric and 15mm hub centric options, each with longer wheel studs."
Actually, it you who is showing ignorance.

In addition to moving the mass outwards, the suspension geometry is completely changed. That is the more important problem.

Quoting from a vendor site is not really proof of anything. They have a vested interest in selling what they make. And they make spacers.

They talk about racecars using larger offsets. Well, that may be true if the rules allow for it. But, those same racecars will have the geometry completely reworked. This is because they know that they have walked away from the factory designed geometry.

Just slapping on a set of spacers and calling it a day is not quite the same thing. Not even close.

There may be certain racing bodies that allow spacers. But, in most instances, spacers will cause an automatic fail in tech inspection.

Old 02-26-2011, 02:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,534 Likes on 3,943 Posts

"Offset and track widths

When you ASSUME stuff remember what you guys say about the word ASSUME.

I stand by not wanting a menace like you over here. (You'd probably be committing a crime here.)

Old 02-26-2011, 07:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

"Offset and track widths

You need to calm yourself and don`t insult. Your statements above are mostly true if somewhat vague. For example, there are no inside or outside tires on any car that I have ever seen. Perhaps you meant the dual tire set up found on some trucks - duallies?

Old 02-26-2011, 11:55 AM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have read this thread completely and I have not found a decent answer for what I was looking for regarding using Spacers. All I see is fighting between Jagv8 and Michael STar. Michael sorry that a few on here jumped on your case for going for Spacers, but I too am interested and would like more info on this topic. I have posted a new question regarding Spacers in a new thread I started. From reading previous post on here, sounds like Jagv8 was rude to you from the beginning for trying to use Spacers on your Jag. I guess he has a few backers on here like Enthusiast & Plumsauce taking his side. You guys should respect others comments and then in return you'll be respected also. I'am new here so please forgive me if I said something out of line. I just came here to get answer about Spacers nothing more.

...I would just like to tell Jagv8 we here in America aren't too fond of your British sarcasm, and I'm guessing thats what is pissing people off here with your reply's to them, thats just my 2 cents, no offense!

God Bless!

Old 02-26-2011, 04:04 PM
Veteran Member

Hey George sorry about that, I guess I must have overlooked that question, but yeah it still has the polished lips on the wheels and the caps were originally like that with a silver ring around it and the center being silverish. It was never black originally. The whole wheel before painting was stock polished aluminum color, I just had the outer lips left alone.

Take it easy buddy. .....Ohhh by the way hows your search going along for an STR?
Oh I gotcha, that's cool - I was thinking of doing that with a set of black center wheels, which Is why I asked..

As far as the STR, still in the works, sooner or later. I have found one I want sort of as an "starter" STR, now I just need to convince the guy that he needs to sell it to me for what I want to pay for it.

I'm not in a rush, don't really need a 4th car, so I can bide my time an be patient till the right car / deal comes along.

Take care,

George

Old 03-06-2011, 06:07 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wanted some spacers to push the front wheels out slightly when I ran across this auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...#ht_1419wt_940

So for $80 I get a set of spacers shipped to me. I have been in contact with the seller and they are made to order so you can have any width. Turn around time is a week per the seller and when they come in I will let you all know about the quality.
So Michael whats the latest on the Spacers? Did you abandon this topic of using it or just still waiting to decide whether to use it or not?