S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spiral Cassette

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 12:33 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Spiral Cassette

Hi - I posted this question in "General Tech Help" but didn't get any responses. So, thought I'd post in the S-type-specific forum to see if anyone can help.

I have determined that the spiral cassette needs to be replaced in my 2004 S-Type. Before I order the part, I would like to hear from some of our resident technicians about what is involved in replacement. I am capable of nearly any mechanical work, and have a well-equipped home shop at my disposal.

However, I don't want to go "digging" for the component, damage anything, or waste time. So, before I tear in, I'd like to get a basic outline of where exactly the component resides, and what is required to effect replacement.

Thanks!

JD

Old 05-27-2009, 05:31 PM

Anyone? Anyone at all...

Old 05-28-2009, 10:00 PM
VMV
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Hi,
The reason you have no replies is probably because we don't know what you are referring to. Where and what is a "spiral cassette" ? There are lots of knowledgeable folks on this site but probably no mind-readers. Please clarify.
Thank you, VMV

Old 05-29-2009, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by VMV
Hi,
The reason you have no replies is probably because we don't know what you are referring to. Where and what is a "spiral cassette" ? There are lots of knowledgeable folks on this site but probably no mind-readers. Please clarify.
Thank you, VMV

The problem stems from an illuminated airbag light that I have, and I found out from an earlier post that the code (19) indicates the "spiral cassette". No explaination was given for what or where that part is. Thus the reason for this post. I assumed that one of the Jaguar technicians on here, or an owner who has delt with this problem before, would be able to clarify.

Since the problem has to do with the airbag, and the word "spiral" is in the part description, it may be a module (?) that rotates (for the steering wheel airbag?) and mounts on the steering column (?). Or maybe something entirely different.

Again, I don't want to order the part, and then start tearing down the car looking for a part that "looks like this". I figured a tech could help me cut to the chase.

Thanks,

JD

Old 05-29-2009, 11:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,703 Likes on 1,211 Posts

JD I just googled "jaguar spiral cassette" and low and behold motorcarsltd popped up. You should inquire with them. www.motorcarsltd.com They post here quite often. The techs here have seemed to go on a vacation together, maybe sipping afew Corona's in Mexico. They are DUELLY missed.

Old 02-19-2010, 09:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just following up with this thread to see how this turned out? I am having the same issue on my 2004 STR....

Old 02-19-2010, 09:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

look for the term "clock spring" it is a better way to search when dealing with the steering wheel electronics.

Old 02-19-2010, 10:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,533 Likes on 3,942 Posts

First would be get jtis (ebay about $10, may be listed as workshop manual) as it's likely detailed in there. I think you'd have to remove the steering wheel. But anything to do with airbags: first disconnect battery and wait at least 30mins for all charge to die away. You do NOT want an airbag going off. Very nasty, very expensive.

Old 02-19-2010, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by clnilsen
Just following up with this thread to see how this turned out? I am having the same issue on my 2004 STR....
I haven't done anything with mine yet. Been super busy at work, and between that and other car hobby projects, not much time to dig into it. Plus, when the weather is cooler, as it is here now, the problem goes away. And I haven't driven the car much this winter as it's been unusually wet and snowy here (D/FW). I prefer to drive my truck in crappy weather, and keep the S-Type in my shop (and clean).

Since this problem seems to be somewhat related to ambient temperature, I'm going to pull the wheel and check/clean the connections first. If that takes care of it, then I'm good to go. I'll find out if I've been successfull this spring when the weather turns hot again.

JD