S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spoke with Eurotek today

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 07:30 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Andre,

On my 99 XJR I had the supercharger ported and a smaller pulley put on. I also put a 12" fan on the intercooler and seperated the cooling circuits. The cooling tanks which on the STR are under the nice plastic cover, were always too hot to even think about touching after driving the car. After seperating and adding the fan the temps went way, the tanks after driving where cool to the touch. Now I wish I had an infared therm. but I didn't, but it was night and day difference with the hand test. Cheap and very effective to seperate. Car was more responsive. I am not going go claim more HP because it was not dyoned but the car ran good like in 30 degree weather in the summer.

Drew

Old 02-09-2009, 08:26 AM
Received 2,190 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Andre, are you speaking of the intercoolers, and no flow? They are in the engine coolant system, and have their own pump to provide adequate flow between the blowers intercoolers and the intercooler radiator in the front of the engines radiator. if you have customers the dont even check their tires pressure to ensure safe vehicle operation, as a manufacturer, your not going to let them destroy more by having a standalone intercooler system and expect them to insure the level is corrct there either. Hense making it all enclosed as one. There is so much that can be done to these cars when youre talking about specifics and taking out mass public use, and use as an enthusiast instead. When talking about the buildup on the Koni series car, we needed 400hp NA to be competitive, thats 100hp more than stock and we were going to get there with tuning, intake and exhuast, headres cat delete etc.... that would have put us close, and we were waiting for approval from the sanctioning body to be able to change cams. Since we're talking Jaguar, not Aston, theres limited market for performance. There are companies that will and are doing work. But its more to limited production since its not a GM or Ford or Porsche product. Just like the carbon fibre panels we were going to build, hood, trunk, and doors, well over 10k for molds and first runs, now if you have a Honda, you can buy them all day for cheap. This is a large reason Ide like to see more work on Jaguars for performance, if you buy it and inquire, companies will build it and make it. But if there no money, dont expect anything to be made. Just like a tuner to crack Nissan Frontiers, no one did it or even was interested, Titans, 350Z yeah. Not until we put together a group buy of 20 people prepaid $650 each did Uprev in Austin Tx, step up. Now there are 3 other companies that are making tuners, but Uprev is the only company doing super charged apps and now we have a turbo app being built also. I guess maybe Ill have to talk to Brandon (fuelfilter) about doing a stand alone intercooler system on his XJR. But it take someone to pay for dyno time and other tests of before and after like 0-60, and 1/4 mile, to validate improvements.

Old 02-09-2009, 08:33 AM
Received 2,190 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverSTR
Andre,

On my 99 XJR I had the supercharger ported and a smaller pulley put on. I also put a 12" fan on the intercooler and seperated the cooling circuits. The cooling tanks which on the STR are under the nice plastic cover, were always too hot to even think about touching after driving the car. After seperating and adding the fan the temps went way, the tanks after driving where cool to the touch. Now I wish I had an infared therm. but I didn't, but it was night and day difference with the hand test. Cheap and very effective to seperate. Car was more responsive. I am not going go claim more HP because it was not dyoned but the car ran good like in 30 degree weather in the summer.

Drew
2 fairly accepted rules, every 100 poUndS weight reduction from a car=.10faster in the qtr mile, and every 100 degree inlet air temp reduction =1%increase in hp some have shown more, but this is a general statement. Just like weight reduction improvement vary slightly depending on where weight is reduced and wether sprung or unsprung...ok enough for me ive been on here 1/2 hour now and need to work

Old 02-09-2009, 01:49 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

brutal for president !

Old 02-09-2009, 02:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

I really love to see a topic with great constructive arguments as well as valuable knowledge.. This one is one of the best I've seen in a while..
Ok and for some more news:
Sent Eurotek this message and this is what they said:

One last question: I already have a custom cat back exhaust and a ported supercharger and I may make more upgrades in the future.. Will these upgrades be within the acceptable parameters of this remap? And if I make any serious upgrades (i.e. Bigger S/C, smaller pulley, custom headers) in the future are you guys able to re-tune my ECU? Eric
Hi not a problem if you want to go crazier in the future let us know and we will update for you anytime for no charge within the warranty period. If you want to add NOS or other upgrade we will not be able to safely manage engine with stock ECU for you. When your ready for that next step we will advise you since we know these cars inside and out over the last 12 years.

One 2005 company car had our stage 1 kit with ported blower by us and exhaust and it screamed.

Eurotek Designs Inc.

Old 02-09-2009, 03:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

Oh and in regards to weight reduction: When I installed my HRE wheels which only weigh 23lbs, I dropped A lot of rotating weight and the car was very noticeably quicker..

I think the only "worth while" weight reduction on this car would be: Lightweight 2-piece rotors, lightweight forged wheels, and a lighter torque converter (if available)

Eric

Old 02-09-2009, 03:37 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Eric, are they (eurotek) willing to remap your stock ECU even if you dont have there "stage 1" ? There stage 1 is $1000 (remap ECU, K&N filter, pulley w/belt) with gains of 35-40 hp

Old 02-10-2009, 01:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,067 Likes on 761 Posts

@Brutal
You where talking about the separation of the engine coolant system and the intercooler system, and I was merely pointing out that I do not see where these two flow in between except for them being connected. It is in that connection that I cannot imagine flow, other than some leakage/drips, which is why I would like to see some more evidence.

@SilverSTR
The fan you mention has made the difference, there is no doubt about that. A radiator only works when it has enough airflow that is key. Doing short bursts and driving relative low speeds, a fan in front will make a big difference in keeping HP, as with low speeds you do not have enough airflow to cool down the system. Even having the air conditioning system on will help, as then the radiator fan will be turned on more often sucking extra air thru the intercooler radiator. I will Fan setup for a XKR in the future, and see if the fan can be electronically controlled so it only turns on at a specific delta heat difference. This would be the biggest bang for the buck imo.

Don’t be fooled by some tuning companies that sell bigger intercooler radiators, as very often they make the core much thicker (was a victim of this myself when I didn’t knew more). A thicker core will offer more air resistance, and thus less airflow. A bigger size intercooler radiator as such is better of course. The only thing a thicker intercooler radiator will aid in is the bigger side tanks, offering more coolant reserve, which will give longer time before heat soak will take an effect. So as a tip, first use a fan, next a thin large intercooler radiator (or just stock), and last (or second) add a reserve tank of a gallon or so to increase the inter coolant capacity
Andre.

Last edited by avos; 02-10-2009 at 01:09 AM.
Old 02-10-2009, 08:08 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes the fan is a very easy and wise investment, was just a pain in the A$$ to get installed, since I had to cut the inner bumper a bit to get clearance from the motor. Then when the fan took a crap (got a new one for free) that was even more fun to replace!

Old 02-10-2009, 08:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 166 Likes on 134 Posts

Hi Eric,

Those wheels are slick! You did raise a good issue regarding unsprung weight. That is a very cost effective way to improve handling and performance. One tradeoff I see in the increasing size of the wheels is that the larger size wheels say up to 20'' or so increases the unsprung weight since metal weighs more than rubber. Also, the larger size wheel/tire combinations may increase dry weather grip, but are usually less forgiving in less than optimum traction conditions. If you loop it, you go around twice instead of just once using stock wheel/tire sizes

Mike