Sportier Steering?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 08:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 220 Likes on 203 Posts
Default Sportier Steering?

I first mentioned this as a mod I'd like to have in this thread:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...26/#post584215

There's a link to a company who does steering rack modifications in there.

So today I decided to try and find out why the Maserati's steering just felt so much better, double the original MSRP not withstanding.

I thought the Jag must have a much slower rack, higher ratio and more turns lock-to-lock.

So far it looks like the Maser's is 3 L-T-L and the Jag says 2.8!

But the Jag is variable ratio so maybe that's a part of it or none of it?

The Jag just feels slower and less responsive in that department and yeah the Maserati engine IS more fun but it eats more gas too!

So focusing on the steering any thoughts on this?

Old 12-13-2012, 10:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

Hi Bob, Guess a rack is not entirely dependent on turns to lock. Can rack be mofified? I'm comfortable with the STR's steering response.

Old 12-13-2012, 10:42 AM
Veteran member
Received 251 Likes on 220 Posts

I thought the STR had decent steering until I drove my buddies RS6. By comparison our steering feels weighted and heavy.

Old 12-13-2012, 10:46 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks Mike! I was just beginning to have Bob become more comfortable with his STR's steering...till you come along. Jeez.

Old 12-13-2012, 11:17 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Michael Star
I thought the STR had decent steering until I drove my buddies RS6. By comparison our steering feels weighted and heavy.
More like a lack of precision and a bit too isolated but it also takes a lot more movement of the wheel to change direction than some of my other sportier cars and that Maserati I drove last summer.

That car is considered a GT and not a sports car. My track car is a LOT more responsive than that Maserati was so it's not like I'm trying to make a radical change here. My friends M6 convertible was the same way, quicker and more rseponsive. So I think Jaguar just decided to leave it pretty close to a standard S-Type.

What's confusing me a bit is that the Maserati certainly felt like a quicker ratio but the specs say otherwise???

Old 12-13-2012, 11:22 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by bfsgross
Thanks Mike! I was just beginning to have Bob become more comfortable with his STR's steering...till you come along. Jeez.
Well, no you weren't but that's OK ...

I drive a lot of different cars but I do try and stay away from driving the ones that will just ruin my own cars for me. That takes discipline.

I just think that the STR could use and get an improvement in the steering department. Probably a shock tower brace in the front too. I don't know if that will fix the wobbly feeling of the front suspension when you drive it hard over bumpy roads but it's worth a try I suppose.

Old 12-13-2012, 01:13 PM
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Both my 300zx twin turbo and Volvo v70r have quick steering racks. I really don't Mind the setup in the STR. To me, my STR takes the roll of GT car, not so cramped, 6 speed auto with low final drive so 6th is low rpm, comfortable, muscle but not overdone to the point where you don't want to drive the car every day.

If I want to bang gears I can jump into the Volvo or the 300zx TT. Even though the 300zx just has a stock suspension for now, it handles much much much better than my other cars. It's lighter, more stiff, and the center of gravity is much lower. I don't get the sense of the car wanting to roll over some in the turns. But on the flip side it's much less relaxing. I have to be a 100 percent all the time or the rear end will step right out. The ac sucks and the car is very loud.

Old 12-13-2012, 01:52 PM
Veteran member
Received 251 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by Staatsof
Well, no you weren't but that's OK ...

I drive a lot of different cars but I do try and stay away from driving the ones that will just ruin my own cars for me. That takes discipline.

I just think that the STR could use and get an improvement in the steering department. Probably a shock tower brace in the front too. I don't know if that will fix the wobbly feeling of the front suspension when you drive it hard over bumpy roads but it's worth a try I suppose.
Strutbars don't do much for double wishbone cars.

Scroll down a bit to read a quick reason

Are human beings this ignorant? A strut brace rant. - Page 3

Old 12-13-2012, 03:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 802 Likes on 670 Posts

I think one big factor is the smoothness of the car. I autocross and really was disappointed with my STR. It just seemed so normal and I was expecting a SUPER CAR!!

But it's very deceptive because if you time the car against other cars doing the same thing you will be surprised by how fast and quick you are going. It's like the old race saying that you need to slow down to go fast!

The STR has a variable ratio rack and electronic controlled variable assist. Some of the Lincoln LS guys unplug the steering rack electrical plug to force it into low assist in all situations. Can't change anything on the variable ratio. It's mechanically built into the rack.

Old 12-13-2012, 04:17 PM
Veteran Member

Yep, the S-Type wasn't blessed with quick steering, but I'm ok with it cause I've haven't driven anything to contrast with it. The H&S Sport springs quicken the steering by lending a lower center of gravity, less body roll, and firmness.

Old 12-13-2012, 04:30 PM
Veteran Member

No offense but it's a link to chat site discussion.

Originally Posted by Michael Star
Strutbars don't do much for double wishbone cars.

Scroll down a bit to read a quick reason

Are human beings this ignorant? A strut brace rant. - Page 3

Old 12-13-2012, 04:33 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by tbird6
[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]]The STR has a variable ratio rack and electronic controlled variable assist. Some of the Lincoln LS guys unplug the steering rack electrical plug to force it into low assist in all situations. Can't change anything on the variable ratio. It's mechanically built into the rack.
Except for a different style rack perhaps? That's what I'm wondering.

Old 12-13-2012, 05:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,621 Posts

In addition to the variable ratio, another consideration is that while the LTL turns is similar, what steering angle is achieved for each turn. If two cars have identical LTL turns, but one has double the turning circle, the one with the smaller turning circle will have a greater steering angle per turn.

Alignment also comes into play. Especially toe-in. A car with toe-out, or less toe-in will feel sharp ... but may be uncomfortable at speed because it will tend to dart.

Old 12-13-2012, 06:26 PM
Veteran Member

That makes sense. Alignment variables should be factored in when messing with the S-Type steering. My 03 STR wears H&R Sport springs and has less toe-in than factory spec. The steering response is adequate for spirited driving.

Old 12-13-2012, 07:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,351 Likes on 1,851 Posts

No the S Type and Lincoln LS share the same nice ZF steering rack. That was one of the few items from the 2003 Jaguar update that made it across to the Lincoln side. That's great for us S Type guys because you can get rebuilt racks for a decent price.

The following 2 users liked this post by clubairth1:
bfsgross (12-13-2012), Panthro (12-14-2012)
Old 12-13-2012, 09:52 PM
Veteran Member

Yes I know and I have to admit that the spyder version of the Maserati DOES have a shorter wheelbase than the Coupe version and probably the S-Type as well but I haven't checked the actual specs.

Suspension is something of a black art for us mere mortals which is why I shy away from personal modifications as opposed to a tuned solution.

None of these cars (Maserati, M6)was darty though. Stiffer bushings perhaps but mostly it just felt like a quicker much more direct steering setup.

Getting there without messing up the car in other ways is another matter ...

Originally Posted by plums
In addition to the variable ratio, another consideration is that while the LTL turns is similar, what steering angle is achieved for each turn. If two cars have identical LTL turns, but one has double the turning circle, the one with the smaller turning circle will have a greater steering angle per turn.

Alignment also comes into play. Especially toe-in. A car with toe-out, or less toe-in will feel sharp ... but may be uncomfortable at speed because it will tend to dart.

Old 12-13-2012, 11:33 PM
Veteran Member

Compare the tires as well. Different designs can affect the turn-in.

So, between tires and alignment you can do a lot in a way that is not too expensive, and is completely reversible. In terms of alignment ... setting the toe repeatedly ought to be under $50.

Darting on insufficient toe-in shows when there is too much. What you would want to do is work out a likely number, dial it in, and then take it for a test.

More negative camber helps, as would slightly less caster.

Old 12-14-2012, 05:34 AM
Veteran Member

These are fine tuning items and yes they are noticeable but they alone will not make the sort of differences I'm describing. Some of them could also have very adverse effects of tire wear.

Based upon how I've observed the front suspension lose it's composure quite easily with fast driving on bumpy roads I have to wonder if the some the bushings could use firming up and that might take some of the sloppiness out of the steering as well. But it could very well introduce unwanted behavior that I frankly not willing to just guess at with the trial and error method. It also doesn't completely explain the greater amount of sawing of the steering wheel required with an STR.

But you're right in that it's probably a good tuning of all of these factors that accounts for the differences between these car's steering feel. The Italian and German car companies are pretty good at this. The Jag was always meant to be a softer drive.

This usually the point where one concludes it's just cheaper to sell and get the car that drives better as is.

It would be nice to find someone who's already figured it out now wouldn't it?

Originally Posted by plums
Compare the tires as well. Different designs can affect the turn-in.

So, between tires and alignment you can do a lot in a way that is not too expensive, and is completely reversible. In terms of alignment ... setting the toe repeatedly ought to be under $50.

Darting on insufficient toe-in shows when there is too much. What you would want to do is work out a likely number, dial it in, and then take it for a test.

More negative camber helps, as would slightly less caster.

Old 12-14-2012, 05:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 3,938 Posts

Brutal may have suggestions. Maybe he'll chime in.

Old 12-14-2012, 06:08 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Staatsof
But you're right in that it's probably a good tuning of all of these factors that accounts for the differences between these car's steering feel. The Italian and German car companies are pretty good at this. The Jag was always meant to be a softer drive.

This usually the point where one concludes it's just cheaper to sell and get the car that drives better as is.

It would be nice to find someone who's already figured it out now wouldn't it?
At one time I had access to an alignment rack once the alignment guy had gone home for the night, so it was easy to fiddle any time.

Every car has its own traits. The STR is probably just fine as long as you are not dwelling on the Maser. It's just that you've driven it recently. But yes, buying what you want is always easier than forcing something else into that same mold.

Quick Reply: Sportier Steering?